Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 12:52 AM

3 posts, read 7,527 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am seeking help from anyone who knows about Foundation Problems or Settling issues.

This house was built in 2006, I just bought it a few months ago. As the inspection did not indicate anything other then "minor cracks" I did not worry about it. Now I have had a few people comment on it, and I am thinking I should maybe call a structural engineer to inspect further to make sure I don't have any future issues.

The first picture is a crack about 10" across on the front porch where the step meets the side of the house. As for the width of the crack, you may be able to shove a penny slightly in it.

Cracks from home settling / Foundation Problems / help!!-front1.jpg

In this second picture, its about 10 feet from the house, and its the walkway leading from the front porch to the driveway. It looks like it dropped about 2" where it meets the driveway.

Cracks from home settling / Foundation Problems / help!!-front2.jpg

Are these two issues alone worth calling a structural engineer for? Or can they really just be dismissed as a minor crack, and trip hazard?

I have been in the home for about 4 months now, with no other issues, so I hope I am just being paranoid.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 03:28 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Can't help you with the step, but after the frost left, did the walkway go back to normal?

Old 06-06-2014, 05:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnallen View Post
I am seeking help from anyone who knows about Foundation Problems or Settling issues.
Sure. Crack happens.
Most settling will occur within the first few years after construction.

Quote:
This house was built in 2006...
Yeah, like that.

Quote:
I am thinking I should maybe call a structural ...
Good call. Anything short of this is no more than conjecture.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:17 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Are all the cracks on the exterior?? Do you have any interior cracks?

It may just be the ground settling.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:55 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Are all the cracks on the exterior?? Do you have any interior cracks?

It may just be the ground settling.
My thought too. Both of those examples are outside the foundation area.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:56 AM

459 posts, read 2,227,418 times
It's hard to tell what is going on in the first picture because you are zoomed in so close. It looks like it could be a concrete spall forming, but hard to say for certain with the zoom so far in. It could also be a shrinkage crack.

The second issue is a frost heave. Overtime, it may settle back down and level out with the adjacent slab.

Neither issue requires a structural engineer.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 7,527 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Here are a few better pictures taken from further away (pepe1).

Cracks from home settling / Foundation Problems / help!!-front3.jpg

and here is a larger picture of the walkway. No change after the frost left (AustinB).

Cracks from home settling / Foundation Problems / help!!-front4.jpg

(Wmsn4Life) It looks like all the cracks are outside of the home. I have a basement as well, and all seems to be good in there (however it is finished with drywall)

The only crack I see is one in the celling of the house, about 25-30 feet away (at the back of the house).

Cracks from home settling / Foundation Problems / help!!-5.jpg

Cracks from home settling / Foundation Problems / help!!-6.jpg

^ view from far away.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Your steps are a separate pour from the slab. It's not structural at all. It appears that the foundation guy plastered the fronts of the steps for appearance as we do down here. That's what is cracking on the steps. The walk to the drive is probably heaving and is no big deal. It would probably cost as much to fix as a structural engineer to come out and tell you the same thing.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:30 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
And that thing in your ceiling is nothing.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:36 PM

459 posts, read 2,227,418 times
Looking at the close up and the afar picture, that does look like a concrete spall that is forming at the corner of the stoop slab. It isn't structural, but I'm sure you will want to fix it for cosmetic purposes. I suspect a base anchorage for that short section of wall above the spall may have a steel anchorage that is rusting - thus causing the spall.

Your driveway issue is absolutely caused frost heave. The high slab may settle back down over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House