Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 03:34 PM

630 posts, read 658,160 times

Advertisements

I just hope you reconsider if you find a vet willing to do this for feral cats.

You're talking about feral cats, not pets. These female cats will be mounted repeatedly by many more males in their longer lifespan without any pause. Every time a male mounts them, their genitals will be injured and more bacteria and viruses will be introduced up in their genital tract each time. Eventually they will get a terrible infection and their uteri will end up full of pus. Because these are feral cats It's unlikely anyone will monitor their health and trap them again for an emergency surgery and these cats will suffer a horrible slow death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 12:52 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
I just hope you reconsider if you find a vet willing to do this for feral cats.

You're talking about feral cats, not pets. These female cats will be mounted repeatedly by many more males in their longer lifespan without any pause. Every time a male mounts them, their genitals will be injured and more bacteria and viruses will be introduced up in their genital tract each time. Eventually they will get a terrible infection and their uteri will end up full of pus. Because these are feral cats It's unlikely anyone will monitor their health and trap them again for an emergency surgery and these cats will suffer a horrible slow death.
Spay and neuter. Spay and neuter. Unless one has an animal they are using for breeding, and that is a whole other (unhappy) topic, spay and neuter. Information from Mercola is nonsense. Pets that are spayed and neutered are healthier and live longer. That we're talking about feral animals here makes me crazy, one reason because what HP48G said.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:29 PM

86 posts, read 244,462 times
My last post was about pets in general, not feral cats.

Back to feral cats....I would like to sterilize them but in a way that is humane and not what I consider to be cruel. I don’t think people here understand the differences between spaying/neutering versus tubal ligation/vasectomy, which keep the ovaries and testicles intact, thereby, letting the animals keep their sex hormones, which again, I believe is cruel and inhumane to take from an animal. Sex hormones are not just for reproduction—they serve, and are vital, to many areas of health.

HP48G,
Thank you for your compassionate response. You do bring up a point worth looking into, but I don’t understand why all female wild animals, such as raccoons, opossums, etc., wouldn’t also suffer from this? I’m not arguing—just genuinely wanting to understand and do what’s best for the animals. I appreciate your help!

TXNGL,
If you don’t like Dr. Mercola, who is probably the most popular alternative/holistic doctor on the internet, then we are approaching this topic from two completely different angles and will never see eye to eye on this, but again, I do appreciate your wanting to help, as that’s what I’m asking for here.

Alternative medicine has helped my family and friends far more than mainstream medicine. In fact, mainstream medicine has sadly done us much harm, but of course, if it weren’t for that harm, we wouldn’t have found the healthy, alternative path we have now been on for decades. When it comes to animals, I believe they also deserve this same wisdom and respect applied to their bodies.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:20 PM

630 posts, read 658,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinDallas View Post
My last post was about pets in general, not feral cats.

HP48G,
Thank you for your compassionate response. You do bring up a point worth looking into, but I don’t understand why all female wild animals, such as raccoons, opossums, etc., wouldn’t also suffer from this? I’m not arguing—just genuinely wanting to understand and do what’s best for the animals. I appreciate your help!

Hi HappyDallas:

Wild female animals can suffer from these issues but their natural lifespan is reduced by the pressures and physical stress of constant breeding, feeding and defending their young, so many die of other causes before cancer or other diseases can develop. A typical example of this are female rabbits which in the wild evolved to reproduce as fast as possible before they die eaten by a predator. If their lifespan is increased (by keeping them as pets- safe from predators) they develop cancer in the uterus . Spaying solves this issue for female pet rabbits.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:03 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
HappyinDallas I did do some searching for local clinics that perform vasectomy and tubal ligation (despite how I feel about it, LOL) and I'm not finding a thing. Your original post was about feral cats so that's what I was going by. I also asked a friend, not local, who is a tech and an animal rescuer. She has heard about these alternatives but says jury is still out. And please believe me, if there was ever an animal lover who wants nothing but the best for animals (pets or feral) it's her. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:48 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
I have a weird friend who decided not to neuter her cat. He howls at the windows, pees all over the place, and has frequent urinary tract issues. It's really not fair for an indoor cat. Feral cats are different though.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:59 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I have a weird friend who decided not to neuter her cat. He howls at the windows, pees all over the place, and has frequent urinary tract issues. It's really not fair for an indoor cat. Feral cats are different though.
I absolutely love my kitties, but I couldn't live with either of them if they had not been spayed/neutered.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:27 PM

86 posts, read 244,462 times
I really appreciate these thoughtful and helpful responses—thank y’all so much. Yes, my desire is definitely what is best for the animals.

As for pets, we should never make animals suffer just for our convenience and comforts, and I see this going on way too often among pet owners. If we can’t handle it, we shouldn’t have pets, but Americans don’t see spaying/neutering as making an animal suffer the way Europeans do, because it’s still so accepted here.

....off topic now, but it will be a long time before this mindset changes, and it reminds me of how the horribly cruel conditions and public awareness of factory animals are taking a long time to change. It’s shocking that most of the meat still sold today in America comes from animals that have basically been tortured. This is currently normal and accepted in our society by major animal factories, but being normal and accepted doesn’t always mean it’s right. People turn a blind eye, because they don't want to accept it. Animals are living beings and suffer just like we do. If you’re not aware of the horrors of factory farming, please check it out: Factory Farming: Misery for Animals | Animals Used for Food | The Issues | PETA, and please make a difference by opting to support meat suppliers who raise their animals with compassion. The more we do that and the less we support the big factories, the less animals will suffer. Again, we should never make animals suffer for our convenience. Doing the right thing isn’t always the easiest (or cheapest, ha!) option.

I’m just different—I tend to question everything and walk my own path, regardless of what everyone around me is doing, haha! I was back into health products that today are now mainstream and considered beneficial, but back then, most everyone thought they were weird and unnecessary. I sure don’t have all the answers though, and I do appreciate the feedback. Life is a never-ending journey of exploring, learning together, sharing information and seeking the truth.

TXNGL, thank you SO much for what you did. I appreciate your time and wanting to help so much!

Thanks again everyone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas