Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,744 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Collin County two weeks ago from the Northeast and am amazed at how polite people are to each other. I was telling one of my friends who lived in Dallas all his life that its great to be around nice people, and he replied by saying that don't buy into it. He said that its an act with most people and they show their true colors after you walk away. I am sure there are many native dallas suburban people that read this and I would like to know your thoughts on this. Is Southern Hospitality really sincere or is it just an act to please transplants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
I just moved to Collin County two weeks ago from the Northeast and am amazed at how polite people are to each other. I was telling one of my friends who lived in Dallas all his life that its great to be around nice people, and he replied by saying that don't buy into it. He said that its an act with most people and they show their true colors after you walk away. I am sure there are many native dallas suburban people that read this and I would like to know your thoughts on this. Is Southern Hospitality really sincere or is it just an act to please transplants?
I've lived in Plano since March of this year. Granted I haven't met a "lot" of people, but they don't seem all that friendly to me.

From what I've read on these boards, people who live in Dallas are quite prejudice against those who live in Collin County, so I would take what they say with a grain of salt. How would they know how people are here without living here anyway?

Besides, saying an entire county is like that is pretty small minded.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
the very nature of politeness is that it is insincere.
it is a standard of conduct not our personal feelings.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,079 times
I've found that most of the people here are, indeed, genuinely hospitable and friendly... from the service industries to the upper echelon... in all communities.

Of course, like anywhere else, it's all in what you put out here... it, in turn will be reciprocated.

Welcome to Texas!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-13-2007 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 11:44 PM

170 posts, read 847,077 times
The southern hospitality thing is for the most part a myth. However, if you were to go to some small towns in Texas and throughout the South you would find really genuinely nice people. Just a few days ago I happened to unexpectedly fly into a small Panhandle town called Dalhart. The people at the small mom & pop airport cafe were some of the friendliest I have ever met...and it was all sincere.

Within the metro areas it is pretty much a facade. People who act one way when they are talking to you then turn around and gossip, spread rumors, pass judgment, etc... People do those things everywhere, but the difference is that in the South they pretend not to which in many ways actually makes it worse.

There is nothing worse than knowing a person who has been saying nasty things about you behind your back come and talk to you with a big smile and say things like, "bless your little heart..."

I lived many years in Collin County and found people there were no different than in other counties, with small exceptions of course. There are places in DFW that are more country while others are more city. Collin County leans more towards the city vibe with McKinney being the exception. Just like in other suburbs neighboors won't talk to one another very much and most people enjoy staying indoors vs going outside and doing things. I call that more of a cold attitude than outright rude, but it is what it is.

So no, Southern hospitality is not genuine nor is it real. If people are nice then it is because of their upbringing-or despite it- and is a reflection of their character. Any reason outside of that for being nice is simply a person pretending to be nice which is what Southern Hospitality really is.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:39 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post
So no, Southern hospitality is not genuine nor is it real. If people are nice then it is because of their upbringing-or despite it- and is a reflection of their character. Any reason outside of that for being nice is simply a person pretending to be nice which is what Southern Hospitality really is.
I wholeheartedly disagree! True Southern hospitality IS genuine... it appears the rest are simply trying to fake it from the get-go!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:31 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,390 times
Not to become too political, but divisive politics seem to fall on fertile grounds in the South. Somehow this doesn't mesh with the cliche of Southern Friendliness.

I think the politeness is total BS. I've witnessed several times how people are totally two-faced. Sugar sweet one second and vitriolic the next (when it is deemed safe).

Old 11-14-2007, 06:48 AM

875 posts, read 1,092,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
I've found that most of the people here are, indeed, genuinely hospitable and friendly... from the service industries to the upper echelon... in all communities.

Of course, like anywhere else, it's all in what you put out here... it, in turn will be reciprocated.

Welcome to Texas!
Of course people in the business environment are going to be friendly, they want your money. It's their job to be friendly.

In my experiences of having lived in both large cities, to small towns, the smaller the community, the more friendly people are.

City dwellers are so used to the hussle and bussle, and fast pace of the city, they usually (not always) don't take time to be friendly or hospitable to others.

Being hospitable and friendly is just plain good manners. If that is considered BS, then I would suggest someone's upbringing was lacking.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:22 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,760,491 times
I have lived in the northeast and I will take the southern hospitality, fake or not, any day.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:54 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
Believe me, we don't do ANYTHING just to please transplants.

Some of it is fake, sure; we'll be polite to someone to their face, then gossip about them after they leave. I doubt we're alone in this, though. I've seen British and French people do it too. I think most of it is just common courtesy; why be rude to someone to their face? I don't care what people say about me behind my back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas