Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:49 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have to admit, the frequency of posts like this (and I am the mother of a daughter the same age) make me roll my eyes a tad--there seem to be quite the bumper crop of gifted children in this socioeconomic level.

That being said, don't forget about social and physical development--that's just as important at this age. Unless she is truly above and beyond all of her peers, you can probably supplement her with outside activities and she will be just fine.
Don't be too surprised. I help out at my daughter's kindergarten occasionally. 5 of the 22 in the class can straight-up read, not level appropriate read, but actually read just about any book you give them. Only a few are what I would call 'behind' for nowadays, but what I would consider in-line with kindergarten when I was in school 30 years ago.

My daughter is slightly better than age appropriate reading, but is starting cursive writing and 2 digit multiplication.

In short, we really sandbag the first few years of public education, and with dayschooling and private schooling for 4 solid years before kindergarten, you'd be surprised at what kids can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 12:32 PM

19,804 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankingdom View Post
Hello we are relocating to the Southlake area in January 2017. My daughter is 5 years old, exceptionally bright as determined by her teachers, with an October birthday. She is currently in a state where she makes the kindergarten cut off and she's not challenged at all in her current kindergarten class, a Great Schools rated 10/10 public school.

Unfortunately, she does not make the kindergarten cut off in the state of Texas and after speaking with some Carroll ISD personnel, they have determined that she does not even qualify to be transferred into the kindergarten program but rather, she will have to attend Pre-k when we move there in January 2017. There is huge concern on my part, as well as her educators, on downgrading and depriving her of the education that is appropriate for her intelligence. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I do feel she is a gifted child and if I am unable to cater her learning to give her the challenge and stimulation she yearns for, then I fear she will become disconnected in school. Even considering Clariden School or other private school to avoid a downgrade in her academic progress. Any comments will be appreciated. Thank you!
We've been through similar twice. IMO you have one course of action that will increase your chances. Have your daughter's IQ tested by a real honest to goodness expert. Then consult with the test giver. If s/he agrees that kid's IQ and other bonafides are strong enough to push her up a grade ask the tester to write a letter stating such and use the letter as leverage.

Problems:
1. Public schools no matter what people claim are bureaucratic entities. All bureaucratic functionaries advance by hanging around and avoiding risks. Moving your kid up a grade relative to local norms poses a risk to whomever makes the final call. If your kid is advanced a grade and fails it'd be a catastrophe for your kid and serious problem for the functionary. So it's simply easier for them to say no. So they virtually alway say no.

2. Private schools face much the same pressure and although more likely than publics to advance kids on the merits still don't do it often.

3. Unless you have IQ test results it's really tough to tell if a kid is just bright and a little advance relative to most kids or if the kid is on a long term ascension due to increased ability and interest. That's a nice way of saying about 10% of parents think their kid is a 1 in 100 learner and clearly that math does not work. You need to prove to yourself that you are right.

4. If you are right and your kiddo is gifted and wants to learn you need to be relentless. IMO the system kills that special ember that some kids have by about 3rd grade. If nothing else works call Texas Tech and ask about their homeschooling program and find a way to make that happen for your kid. Homeschooling for high achievers is booming because public schools are so limiting for high achievers.

5. As mentioned above maybe private Montessori or similar might be the way to go for a year or two.

If you need a referral for an IQ test I know prof. at UTSW who is an expert in the area. He does not work with little kids but I'm certain he can send you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:59 PM

332 posts, read 1,387,558 times
EDS has some great advice. The source of your trouble is that the state only provides funding for students who have turned 5 on Sep. 1. The school district has no incentive to enroll your kids "early". Good luck.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:48 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,779,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
We've been through similar twice. IMO you have one course of action that will increase your chances. Have your daughter's IQ tested by a real honest to goodness expert. Then consult with the test giver. If s/he agrees that kid's IQ and other bonafides are strong enough to push her up a grade ask the tester to write a letter stating such and use the letter as leverage.

Problems:
1. Public schools no matter what people claim are bureaucratic entities. All bureaucratic functionaries advance by hanging around and avoiding risks. Moving your kid up a grade relative to local norms poses a risk to whomever makes the final call. If your kid is advanced a grade and fails it'd be a catastrophe for your kid and serious problem for the functionary. So it's simply easier for them to say no. So they virtually alway say no.

2. Private schools face much the same pressure and although more likely than publics to advance kids on the merits still don't do it often.

3. Unless you have IQ test results it's really tough to tell if a kid is just bright and a little advance relative to most kids or if the kid is on a long term ascension due to increased ability and interest. That's a nice way of saying about 10% of parents think their kid is a 1 in 100 learner and clearly that math does not work. You need to prove to yourself that you are right.

4. If you are right and your kiddo is gifted and wants to learn you need to be relentless. IMO the system kills that special ember that some kids have by about 3rd grade. If nothing else works call Texas Tech and ask about their homeschooling program and find a way to make that happen for your kid. Homeschooling for high achievers is booming because public schools are so limiting for high achievers.

5. As mentioned above maybe private Montessori or similar might be the way to go for a year or two.

If you need a referral for an IQ test I know prof. at UTSW who is an expert in the area. He does not work with little kids but I'm certain he can send you in the right direction.

Good luck.
I'd echo the comments here about going the Montessori route if needed. Go to the web pages for AMI and AMS and find an accredited or member Montessori school of either association within a reasonable commute of where you will live. Off the top of my head I know that Flower Mound, Colleyville, and Southlake each have at least one. Tour them and ask them specifically about how they deal with kids who are ready for work at a more advanced pace. In theory, Montessori moves at a pace that is appropriate for your kid whether that's in line with average, accelerated, or needing remedial help (I've seen amazing Montessori classrooms with advanced learners and a kid with Downs in the same environment and it works just fine). But in practice, some Montessori schools are a bit more rigid than they'd want to project in their marketing materials and you won't get that sense unless you talk with the director of each school. We toured a half dozen before finding the one that seemed to be the best fit all around (though in Dallas area, so I can't comment on any that would be convenient for you unless you're willing to drive to Irving every day).

Old 12-21-2016, 02:56 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Don't be too surprised. I help out at my daughter's kindergarten occasionally. 5 of the 22 in the class can straight-up read, not level appropriate read, but actually read just about any book you give them. Only a few are what I would call 'behind' for nowadays, but what I would consider in-line with kindergarten when I was in school 30 years ago.

My daughter is slightly better than age appropriate reading, but is starting cursive writing and 2 digit multiplication.

In short, we really sandbag the first few years of public education, and with dayschooling and private schooling for 4 solid years before kindergarten, you'd be surprised at what kids can do.
If a quarter of her class meet the 1985 criteria for "gifted", then what do you think is the 2016 criteria for gifted? What are the 1-2 most advanced kids in her grade (not just her class) able to do that sets them apart?

Old 12-21-2016, 04:58 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,218,444 times
I've done Montessori with both kids. A well functioning Montessori school is supposed to be set up for a child to progress through curriculum at his or her own pace. My younger son isn't a genius but he was reading early readers and Bob books , skip counting and adding and subtracting before we switched him to my older brother's school for kindergarten. The private school they attended offered to start my younger son in K at the age of 4 but for a variety of reasons that had nothing to do with readiness we chose not to. When he started the K work was too easy so once he'd adjusted to school his teacher started giving him harder work than she was giving his classmates. He'll probably skip a grade in math next year as well. This is possible because the private school they attend caps class sizes at 15.

As for Montessori, one way to find out if the school is operating the way it should is to find out how many kids they moved up to the next class over Christmas break. Montessori schools are supposed to move kids up to the next classroom when they socially and intellectually ready, not necessarily when the school year ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas