Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 01:41 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Well...we are in the bible belt so the lack of secular private schools (and the abundance of religious ones) shouldn't really be all that shocking compared to, say, the northeast.
All those schools in the northeast began as religious schools. They are simply older and have in many cases become secular. Dallas is just newer, but really there aren't any top notch privates in Dallas that are religious to the point that it interferes with the education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoball007 View Post
He got waitlisted at Greenhill and we did express interest to the admission officer by phone and via email.

I am concerned though if we move this summer, and by fall there are no private schools with any spots open, what are my options? I have not heard great things about DISD schools in that area.
I would not give up on Greenville. I personally know seven boys that got in that chose to go to SM. I would call them on Monday.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 AM

96 posts, read 150,891 times
I believe last year lamplighter had about 8 kids accepted to SM. I think 5 chose SM and 3 chose GH. So I agree spots will open up at GH. Don't give up on it.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:59 PM

20 posts, read 49,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDBOBOS View Post
I would not give up on Greenville. I personally know seven boys that got in that chose to go to SM. I would call them on Monday.
IS this for 9th grade?

Old 03-27-2017, 05:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,699 times
Quote:
I would not give up on Greenhill. I personally know seven boys that got in that chose to go to SM. I would call them on Monday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsuser View Post
IS this for 9th grade?
No, they are going into 5th grade.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:32 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Here is one suggestion. If you don't get into GH, rent in HP/UP for one year. If you like schools, settle there. If not try next year for GH and if both kids get in, buy a house in that area.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 AM

20 posts, read 49,948 times
Quote:
No, they are going into 5th grade.
Has anyone from the waitpool been contacted yet?

Old 04-01-2017, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,766 times
Default Still Waiting.......

Quote:
d

We are still waiting on the waitlist at Greenhill. Apparently out of 10 "boy" slots handed out, there has been no movement yet.

Also there are 15 boys on the waitlist for any slots that come up.
At this point, its a long shot.

We've looked at all the postings - and were considering ESD/Parish but still are concerned about the non-secular component of them. We have until fall, and are considering other options.

We are INDIAN, but do not want to go to an Indian enclave like irving or plano just to give them more exposure. My experience has been that if you live in places like that, you end up 99% associating only with your own culture, and don't get the diverse exposure we like.

Plano also not commute wife feasible due to commute to Dallas.

Considering HPISD (I know very few indians), Sunnyvale ISD, Parish/ESD with preston hollow residence, and then re-applying to greenhill / st marks next year

Old 04-01-2017, 08:11 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
Quote:
d

We are INDIAN, but do not want to go to an Indian enclave like irving or plano just to give them more exposure. My experience has been that if you live in places like that, you end up 99% associating only with your own culture, and don't get the diverse exposure we like.
I like your attitude. Self segregating Indians drive my husband nuts. One thing I do like about the area though is that while there are lots of Indian community amenities to enjoy (my husband took his mom and our kids to Saravana Bhavan in Valley Ranch for dinner tonight) not all of the Indians self segregate. We have a small Diwali party every year and we are able to find plenty of Indian families and biracial families like up to invite. For many of them it's their only Diwali celebration so they always look forward to it. They love their heritage but don't view it as a straight jacket.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:51 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
d

Plano also not commute wife feasible due to commute to Dallas.

SMH.

Plano is not an Indian enclave. But if the commute is bad, that's irrelevant anyway. Though plenty of people commute to Dallas from Plano and Frisco (I wouldn't want to).

The only Indians I know that 'self-segregate' just got here, and that's true of pretty much any immigrant population. Like ex-pat americans in a foreign country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas