Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 8,091 times

Advertisements

We are driving to Dallas for a weekend conference in May. What would be the most scenic 2 day drive down? Any recommended stops? Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 12:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
My friend's family is from Chicago. When they don't drive straight through in one day, they stop overnight in Memphis. Stay at the famous Peabody Hotel, enjoy the jazz on Beale Street, and visit Elvis' Graceland home.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:41 PM

422 posts, read 542,035 times
From Chicago originally also, and there's hardly anything you'd consider scenic in that drive. Lol

Old 04-12-2017, 01:00 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Default Scenic drive from Chicago to Dallas ?

- Fly from Chicago to San Francisco.
- Take two days to drive down the coast road (US 1) to LA.
- Then fly from LA to Dallas.

(but seriously, I also enjoy Memphis....it's a nice 24 hour stop. Eat 3 types of Pork BBQ, stop by Sun Records, listen to some Blues (or R&B) on Beale St, check out Stax Records, watch the ducks waddle at the Peabody Hotel....& on to Dallas)

Old 04-12-2017, 01:15 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I just made this drive (well, the opposite way). You have two routes, well three, actually:

1. Go through Arkansas, up the Missouri boot heel, and into Southern IL

2. Up through rural Oklahoma, then take I-44 through MO, then catch I-55 in St Louis.

3. Fly

I chose route #2 because that southern part of Missouri is pretty. And you can also make a stop in St Louis. There is absolutely nothing to see from Joplin to Dallas.

For a weekend trip, I'd definitely fly. You'd be on the road more than you'd actually be in Dallas. A round trip with Southwest should only be $250 or so. Gas will cost you at least $100 for the entire trip.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:24 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,406,898 times
The Memphis route is horrid. The Illinois bottoms are coma inducing and the drive from Memphis through Arkansas is filled with tractor trailers for the flat and straight runs.

I'd go Chicago-St Louis-Branson-Fayetteville-Dallas. I've done this as a 2-day drive before and it's far more scenic. I'd recommend roadside stops at Thorncrown chapel outside Eureka Springs and the Crystal Bridges museum in Bentonville. Both are fantastic.
I drive from Dallas-St Louis about every 6 weeks. I do the Memphis route if I want to get there fast because it can be done in a day but the other route through the Ozarks is worth it if I have 2 days.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:30 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I just made this drive (well, the opposite way). You have two routes, well three, actually:

1. Go through Arkansas, up the Missouri boot heel, and into Southern IL

2. Up through rural Oklahoma, then take I-44 through MO, then catch I-55 in St Louis.

3. Fly

I chose route #2 because that southern part of Missouri is pretty. And you can also make a stop in St Louis. There is absolutely nothing to see from Joplin to Dallas.

For a weekend trip, I'd definitely fly. You'd be on the road more than you'd actually be in Dallas. A round trip with Southwest should only be $250 or so. Gas will cost you at least $100 for the entire trip.
I accidentally went through rural eastern Oklahoma/western Arkansas on my way back to Dallas once and was pleasantly rewarded. Definitely encourage anybody who's not in a hurry to try going through the Ouachita Mountains and the Ozarks.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:31 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
The Memphis route is horrid. The Illinois bottoms are coma inducing and the drive from Memphis through Arkansas is filled with tractor trailers for the flat and straight runs.

I'd go Chicago-St Louis-Branson-Fayetteville-Dallas. I've done this as a 2-day drive before and it's far more scenic. I'd recommend roadside stops at Thorncrown chapel outside Eureka Springs and the Crystal Bridges museum in Bentonville. Both are fantastic.
I drive from Dallas-St Louis about every 6 weeks. I do the Memphis route if I want to get there fast because it can be done in a day but the other route through the Ozarks is worth it if I have 2 days.
This is probably the most scenic route. I used to live in southeast Missouri, and I've driven just about every route there is. The Ozarks in NW AR are very scenic.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:35 PM

817 posts, read 921,679 times
I drove up 75 through OK and saw ridges and hills I thought I would not see until MO, plus lots of water as 75 follows a river. On the downside, OK does not have bypasses around most of its towns (except Tulsa and Durant IIRC), so that slows you down slightly but not a lot. I didn't have much choice on the routing because I was moving my MIL to the Wisconsin Northwoods (McKinney- Tulsa - KC - Des Moines - MSP - Wausau, then north).

Old 04-21-2017, 07:25 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post

My little brother is an architect who apprenticed under Fay Jones, the guy who designed Thorncrown and The Marty Leonard Chapel in Fort Worth as well.

Thornrcown according to an AIA vote is the 4th most important/best architectural design of the 20th century in The US. It's a must see.

Jones and Frank Lloyd Wright stuff:
Fay Jones and Frank Lloyd Wright

Thorncrown:
Thorncrown Chapel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas