Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 10:31 AM

8,121 posts, read 3,666,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinneyHomeOwner16 View Post
Recently just switched to USAA. Have not filed the claim with them yet. If they will let me wait two years to make the repair that would be great, but in my experience insurance companies don't let you do this. How can I get them to let me wait 1-2 years before making the repair?

I made a claim in March of last year, and was told that I have one year to complete the repairs in order to recover depreciation. I'm not done completely yet, so I asked for extension and got couple more months but looks like I'll need more time.

In general I thought that in Texas it is 2 years, but everybody seems to be reporting different numbers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 05:28 PM

165 posts, read 196,707 times
Depends on insurance, mine gives 1 year to repair.

Also to OP, with that many new roofs, you might need/push for a new sheathing when you get the next new roof approved by insurance. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlzm7TQT8l0

When it happens, get them to install radiant barrier decking.

Last edited by iberanon; 05-01-2017 at 05:51 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 04:33 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times
What the hell kind of hail balls do you have in Texas? I heard everything grows big down there but .... I'm in my eighth decade, always had asphalt shingles, and never heard of hail destroying a roof. Maybe you had vicious big winds with the hail and they were the culprit.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:39 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
What the hell kind of hail balls do you have in Texas? I heard everything grows big down there but .... I'm in my eighth decade, always had asphalt shingles, and never heard of hail destroying a roof. Maybe you had vicious big winds with the hail and they were the culprit.
Golf ball size is Meh, might have some damage depending on how long it goes on. The baseball sized hail about five years ago when we weren't even under a severe thunderstorm warning at all and it came crashing through our skylights, almost taking my kid out, was another story. See, here in Texas we don't plan financially for another roof, we just wait for a hail storm.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:01 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,124 times
Last spring every roof on my street was destroyed due to hail. There weren't any high winds. The hail dropping into my pool was so huge that my pool looked like the Bellagio fountain in Vegas.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:02 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times
Quote:
You can't just wait to do the work. I only have 60 days after the damage to file the claim, after which I have to get the roof replaced within a few months. I don't have any roof leaks, but I can't just wait to do the work and not file a claim. I can ask for an extension but I doubt they will go for that.
I didn't say wait to file the claim I said wait to do the work. I have two years to get it done without even asking for an extension with State Farm. File then wait to do it if you do not have a leak is what I said and I stand by it.

What insurance company do you have? Did you even ask before advising?

Old 05-03-2017, 09:05 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Golf ball size is Meh, might have some damage depending on how long it goes on. The baseball sized hail about five years ago when we weren't even under a severe thunderstorm warning at all and it came crashing through our skylights, almost taking my kid out, was another story. See, here in Texas we don't plan financially for another roof, we just wait for a hail storm.

Wow! I'm old as dirt, have been thru many storms in Md., including 'canes, but have never seen them larger than marble-sized.

Earlier this year though, the way the wind was blowing, they were traveling parallel to the ground and smashing into windows. Scared the hell outta me. No damage though; so no harm, no foul.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:44 AM

500 posts, read 583,132 times
Quote:
You can't just wait to do the work. I only have 60 days after the damage to file the claim, after which I have to get the roof replaced within a few months. I don't have any roof leaks, but I can't just wait to do the work and not file a claim. I can ask for an extension but I doubt they will go for that.
You need to verify that with your insurance company.

We know we had hail damage from the storms last spring in April. We had no leaks and it was just starting hail season. We waited to file a claim. We did not file one until January of this year, they paid for the new roof, new vents, new gutters, new window screens, fence to be restained, and arbor to be restained.
Several years ago, we waited 2 years. We knew we had some damage but it was not bad and no leaks. We waited till the next year and another hail storm came thru and caused more damage, screens and such that time. Waited till the fall to file the claim.

If you are buying a house and the inspector finds roof damage from hail, the buyer will want it replaced as will their mortgage company. The seller can then call their insurance company and file a claim if they have not already. Happens every day, all the time, has for years.

I never file a claim on the first hail storm unless it caused damage that would cause more damage, like holes in the roof, windows, leaks, etc. I wait till the end of the season and only have to deal with one deductible. Besides, it's better to have the roof replaced when it has cooled off and not the heat of the summer.

Word of caution, never call your insurance company to "come look and see if I have hail damage". If you have a trusted roofer, have them look first.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:54 AM

500 posts, read 583,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Wow! I'm old as dirt, have been thru many storms in Md., including 'canes, but have never seen them larger than marble-sized.

Earlier this year though, the way the wind was blowing, they were traveling parallel to the ground and smashing into windows. Scared the hell outta me. No damage though; so no harm, no foul.
Dude! Last April there was a hail storm that the hail was so big it was crashing thru roofs and the ceilings. Went thru the sides of houses, busted out windows. Totally destroyed houses. The tile roof on a church, the pieces looked like they could be used for a mosaic. When they say "large hail" around here, we start wondering if they mean baseball, softball or bowling ball sized. Tennis ball and ping pong ball sized is very normal around here.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
Dude! Last April there was a hail storm that the hail was so big it was crashing thru roofs and the ceilings. Went thru the sides of houses, busted out windows. Totally destroyed houses. The tile roof on a church, the pieces looked like they could be used for a mosaic. When they say "large hail" around here, we start wondering if they mean baseball, softball or bowling ball sized. Tennis ball and ping pong ball sized is very normal around here.
Biggest hail I've ever witnessed personally falling from the sky with my own two eyes was between baseball and softball sized. I wasn't going to go outside to check size. Someone mentioned that it made their pool look like a fountain at the Bellagio...yup! That, or a giant boiling cauldron. I was at a friend's house and it was a true MCM. They lost a couple of windows and a skylight. New roof was a given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas