Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:19 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times

Advertisements

I would strongly recommend coming down here (if you haven't already) to check the various areas out in person. Austin, as noted, has a much different "feel" than DFW in general, and likely HPISD in particular. Since Southlake was brought up, I'll note that HPISD and Southlake (Carroll ISD) are very different in many ways as well. Although it is true that 1.2MM will buy a lot more house in Southlake than it will in Park Cities (HPISD), it sounds like you've done at least some research on the DFW area and are drawn to Park Cities. Southlake has more of a "new money" feel in contrast to PC's "old money" (to generalize).

If we're talking about excellent schools and a certain degree of diversity, then Plano would also be a consideration. It's a bit of a running joke that all relos have Plano recommended to them, but there's a reason for that - it's a large suburb with a lot to offer and schools that put up stats about equal to Carroll's and not far below HP, but with a more ethnically and (more importantly) socioeconomically diverse student body than either of those others. "Pound for Pound", Plano ISD is probably the best in DFW.

But, both Plano and Southlake are very much "suburbs", with all the good and bad that entails. HP, again, has a different feel. And again, if you're drawn to HP in particular for any reasons, I won't dissuade you.

I can't help you on Austin, sadly. My understanding is that the area there that you're considering also has a LOT going for it. As you've undoubtedly noticed, your housing dollars generally get you a lot more in Texas than in SoCal.

Good luck in choosing the best place for you and your family, where you'll feel the most comfortable and be able to settle in and be "at home". Your choices are excellent areas in many ways. Texas will definitely be different than SoCal, in ways both good and notsomuch, and I hope that it works out well for you.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:22 PM

964 posts, read 877,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I think you should assume most people are probably less pretentious than you. In this instance, the OP specifically said she is fine with a modest house that is less than 3,000 sq. ft. The fact that you thought being in the bottom socioeconomic half of town was noteworthy enough to mention proves you do in fact have some Jones chasing in you.

What does this even mean? We serfs should keep our mouths shut?

Face it: Not everyone with means sees the world the way you do.
Yeah the fact that she wants less than 3000sq ft does help. No you should not keep your mouth shut, but you should surely appreciate someone else giving their perspective. No you would be wrong that people in HP and Southlake are less pretentious because if you saw many of their homes, their cars, and their dressing patterns it is anything but that. While you could absolutely have an opinion of a high end car (for example) without owning one I surely would love the advice of someone who does own one.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I would strongly recommend coming down here (if you haven't already) to check the various areas out in person. Austin, as noted, has a much different "feel" than DFW in general, and likely HPISD in particular. Since Southlake was brought up, I'll note that HPISD and Southlake (Carroll ISD) are very different in many ways as well. Although it is true that 1.2MM will buy a lot more house in Southlake than it will in Park Cities (HPISD), it sounds like you've done at least some research on the DFW area and are drawn to Park Cities. Southlake has more of a "new money" feel in contrast to PC's "old money" (to generalize).

If we're talking about excellent schools and a certain degree of diversity, then Plano would also be a consideration. It's a bit of a running joke that all relos have Plano recommended to them, but there's a reason for that - it's a large suburb with a lot to offer and schools that put up stats about equal to Carroll's and not far below HP, but with a more ethnically and (more importantly) socioeconomically diverse student body than either of those others. "Pound for Pound", Plano ISD is probably the best in DFW.

But, both Plano and Southlake are very much "suburbs", with all the good and bad that entails. HP, again, has a different feel. And again, if you're drawn to HP in particular for any reasons, I won't dissuade you.

I can't help you on Austin, sadly. My understanding is that the area there that you're considering also has a LOT going for it. As you've undoubtedly noticed, your housing dollars generally get you a lot more in Texas than in SoCal.

Good luck in choosing the best place for you and your family, where you'll feel the most comfortable and be able to settle in and be "at home". Your choices are excellent areas in many ways. Texas will definitely be different than SoCal, in ways both good and notsomuch, and I hope that it works out well for you.
Plano ISD ain't Carroll. End of story. Agree with you that HP is a lot more old money and Southlake new money. Plano ISD ain't HP either. It's Carroll and HP and then everyone else.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:25 PM

5,829 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
You also fail to understand basic statistics. Divide the richest and poorest into 2 groups and you can see where the 50% number comes from. In other words if you lined people up and classified them into the richest or the poorest it is pretty easy to figure out.
I'm not misunderstanding statistics. You are misunderstanding language. The "poorest people in town" and the "poorest half of people in town" are not synonymous. The fact that you chose to divide town into two groups is entirely arbitrary. Why not split them up in to three groups? Or twenty groups?

Intuitively, most people would describe someone at the 45th percentile as being "in the middle," not among the poorest.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
With $1M try Southlake or West Plano.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I'm not misunderstanding statistics. You are misunderstanding language. The "poorest people in town" and the "poorest half of people in town" are not synonymous. The fact that you chose to divide town into two groups is entirely arbitrary. Why not split them up in to three groups? Or twenty groups?

Intuitively, most people would describe someone at the 45th percentile as being "in the middle," not among the poorest.
Move on. You are lost. No one cares what you think.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:36 PM

26 posts, read 36,141 times
Kyam11, I absolutely appreciate your input. I know there are a lot of good school districts in Dallas and Texas in general, it is a difficult choice. I don't think I will make up my mind any time soon. After all, I am choosing a hometown for my children, the pressure is very high. But my perspective is a little different from yours, I would never buy in the top 30%. It's not really who we are, I also don't want to constantly clean up after my kids in a unnecessary large home. If I were to move to Southlake, I would re-adjust my budget to 600K. I believe buying closer to the 25-50% range would give me a better investment, for better and quicker resale in the future (I think this is only true in great school districts). That is my personal preference, and I respect yours fully.

You do bring up a good point that it is probably just a few blocks from the not so nice areas. I think this is case for all areas close to downtown in any city, neighborhoods changes drastically just crossing a street. I will definitely drive around the area and get a better feel next time. I also plan to go to Plano and Southlake to take a look. But I like UP the most also due to the fact it's within walking distance to a lot of stuff, when I see suburbs with walking scores below 30, those houses just don't appeal to me as much.

Anyways, it's always good to hear you are happy where you purchased your home.

Quote:
Actually buying in the bottom 50% is the definition of being the poorest people in HP. That is still a great problem to have, but many people don't want to live in the worst house(s) or have the least amount of money in a city. I surely do not. I don't need to have the most either, but would want to be in the 70-100th percentile.

I know these are first world problems. No one is going to think OP has it tough. I also realize that people willing to write a check for $1.2M (as I did) tend to have certain expectations and desires when doing so. I was merely trying to point that out. If they realize this and decide they still want move forward it is quite possible they will be as happy as ever.

I just wanted to point out there is an alternative to HP in the Dallas area and it is Southlake. If you want the highest end in the Dallas area with the best schools near Universities it is HP/UP or Southlake/Westlake/Trophy Club. That is it. It surely does not mean everything else is garbage, it just isn't at the top.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Quote:
Plano ISD ain't Carroll. End of story. Agree with you that HP is a lot more old money and Southlake new money. Plano ISD ain't HP either. It's Carroll and HP and then everyone else.
Actually, I would put Plano West high school ahead of Carroll easily, with them both being excellent schools. If anything, Carroll rests on its athletic and "rich area" reputation quite a bit.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:39 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times
Quote:
Have you had kids in Plano schools, or know people who have? Plano ISD high schools (Plano West in particular) have historically put up SAT scores that are about equal to/better than Carroll, and I believe in most years Plano West in particular (and possibly the ISD overall) has a higher percentage of NMSFs than Carroll. I get that with the recent realignment, Plano West has gained at the expense of Plano Senior, so it may be more appropriate now to just compare the Plano West feeder zone to Carroll rather than the entire ISD. That said, the OP would likely buy in the Plano West area, as it's well within their budget.

I am curious why you would appear to classify Plano ISD (apparently) below Carroll, when the objective academic data would seem to place them awfully close to each other.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgoodies View Post
Kyam11, I absolutely appreciate your input. I know there are a lot of good school districts in Dallas and Texas in general, it is a difficult choice. But my perspective is a little different from yours, I would never buy in the top 30%. It's not really who I am, I also don't want to constantly clean up after my kids in a unnecessary large home. If I were to move to Southlake, I would re-adjust my budget to 600K. I believe buying closer to the 25-50% range would give me a better investment, for better and quicker resale in the future (I think this is only true in great school districts). That is my personal preference, and I respect yours fully.

You do bring up a good point that it is probably just a few blocks from the not so nice areas. I think this is case for all areas close to downtown in any city, neighborhoods changes drastically just crossing a street. I will definitely drive around the area and get a better feel next time. I also plan to go to Plano and Southlake to take a look. But I like UP the most also due to the fact it's within walking distance to a lot of stuff, when I see suburbs with walking scores below 30, those houses just don't appeal to me as much.
Makes sense. We moved from a house that would be about $700K today and it was very similar to what you see today for $1.2M. Needs some updating but overall a nice house. Makes sense, but I would be very careful if you plan to walk to things from HP/UP. One wrong turn and you find yourself in a very different area very quickly. The only reason to move to Southlake IMO is if you want HP level schools where you get more house for your money and want to be close to DFW. I would not consider Plano if you want the best schools. Plano has excellent schools, but the best are HP/UP and Carroll. Plano gets you excellent schools and even a little more for your money. If I were going to not live in HP/UP then it would be Southlake only. Plano is just very different. Much much more diversity in Plano however. I can tell you that one thing surprised my wife about Southlake is how many White/Asian couples there are..

Good luck in your search. For reference we sold our house in 5 days and bought the other one in 6 days so houses are flying right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas