Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 AM

11 posts, read 11,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
Ace,

What's your income?

3 X gross should be your absolute max, personally I think that's a stretch.

I really like 2-2.5X. So for a 300 Budget, you should be pulling home at least $100K combined.

As for location, getting to downtown Dallas sucks especially via 75. 75, IMO, is the worst highway in DFW, 35 might be the only other one that tops it.

Richardson is probably good for your budget. You can find a rehabbed ranch built in the 70s for around that. If you want bang for your buck, Murphy, Wylie, Sachese but you will be further out. Maybe East Plano. Even if you had a kid tomorrow, they won't go to school for 6 years.
$150K, excluding her income. How is Wylie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 11:09 AM

450 posts, read 556,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceGoldstein View Post
$150K, excluding her income. How is Wylie?
Wonderful, you see Millennials like us know what they are doing, the rest make us look bad.

At that income, I think Richardson will fit you nicely, very nicely. I would advise you to push it a little bit higher than $300K, move closer to $350K-$400K. Unless you have $100K+ Student Loan debt and other debts, you should easily be able to afford it.

I am more of a "stay in one place longer, less cost to sell and move, less hassle" however you are in your mid 20's so "first house shouldn't be your dream house" so it could change your mind. Especially since we are in a rapidly rising market, it was so much easier for me to buy since the value is holding.

Put 20% down if you can, keep a close eye on property taxes, they are a *****, lock in a 30 year fixed, you'll be good.

I really liked Murphy in certain areas, Wylie and Sachese are a bit out there, you can get a jumbo/brand new home out there for a decent price, but you will commute at least 45 minutes each way. Wylie and Sachese schools are OK, dont know too much

Old 06-15-2017, 11:41 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,341,735 times
I wouldn't worry about schools now. You won't be in a 2/1 by the time your future kids are going to elementary school. If you find a house zoned to a good elementary, then great, but I wouldn't focus on that at this point.

I also wouldn't move out the the burbs in my mid-20's. But that's just me. Also keep in mind you'd be getting a much bigger house in Wylie vs say Dallas proper and therefore it will cost much more to furnish and maintain it (pool expenses, probably a HOA fee, probably twice the square footage to clean/ heat/ cool, etc.)

North Oak Cliff to Garland would be a pretty bad commute. My top picks for you are:
1. Lake Highlands - you might be able to find something in the $325k range which is totally doable with your income only.
2. East Dallas east of White Rock - neighborhoods like Lochwood, Old Lake Highlands, Clermont, maybe something in Little Forest Hills. There are a lot of fun restaurants and bars along Garland / Buckner.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:49 AM

11 posts, read 11,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I wouldn't worry about schools now. You won't be in a 2/1 by the time your future kids are going to elementary school. If you find a house zoned to a good elementary, then great, but I wouldn't focus on that at this point.

I also wouldn't move out the the burbs in my mid-20's. But that's just me. Also keep in mind you'd be getting a much bigger house in Wylie vs say Dallas proper and therefore it will cost much more to furnish and maintain it (pool expenses, probably a HOA fee, probably twice the square footage to clean/ heat/ cool, etc.)

North Oak Cliff to Garland would be a pretty bad commute. My top picks for you are:
1. Lake Highlands - you might be able to find something in the $325k range which is totally doable with your income only.
2. East Dallas east of White Rock - neighborhoods like Lochwood, Old Lake Highlands, Clermont, maybe something in Little Forest Hills. There are a lot of fun restaurants and bars along Garland / Buckner.
Thanks TC. We'd really like to avoid the suburbs but I figured it would be almost impossible in this market given our income, but I guess that's not true.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:47 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,120,783 times
Quote:
Thanks TC. We'd really like to avoid the suburbs but I figured it would be almost impossible in this market given our income, but I guess that's not true.
I would second TC's recommendations. With the recent run-up in prices, it is getting harder to find homes in the price range in the neighborhoods listed, but still possible.

Not sure where the Garland job is exactly (Garland is pretty big), but the areas east of White Rock that TC mentions are pretty well located between downtown and Garland. Could probably avoid highways for the most part for both commutes depending on exact job location.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:56 PM

450 posts, read 556,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

Good points.

Better school districts typically appraise better/ sell for more/ sell more frequently / hold their value, but I tend to agree.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:51 PM

988 posts, read 1,831,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
Fixed that for you.

Yeah, I forget it's the hoi polloi who have to suck it up in Frisco and Plano...

Old 06-15-2017, 09:59 PM

988 posts, read 1,831,841 times
Quote:
Ace, I get it - if you can avoid deep suburbia at this point I think you'd do well. There will be time in the future for that if you later choose that path. TC has generally good recommendations in the city so if you can find the right place in the city go with it.

That said, while Richardson isn't Knox-Henderson, I think it might be a decent compromise if you don't find something great on TC's recommendations. There's some interesting things to do nearby such as Alamo, Free Play, and some interesting food options and it's still near enough to neighborhoods such as KH, Uptown and more for when you need an Uber ride to live it up.

Always consider how much time you'll really spend going out and exploring as compared to how much time you'll have to sit in traffic if you live in a cool neighborhood but are always sitting in traffic to/from work. At least that's how I look at it...:-)

Old 06-16-2017, 07:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
Ace, I get it - if you can avoid deep suburbia at this point I think you'd do well. There will be time in the future for that if you later choose that path. TC has generally good recommendations in the city so if you can find the right place in the city go with it.

That said, while Richardson isn't Knox-Henderson, I think it might be a decent compromise if you don't find something great on TC's recommendations. There's some interesting things to do nearby such as Alamo, Free Play, and some interesting food options and it's still near enough to neighborhoods such as KH, Uptown and more for when you need an Uber ride to live it up.

Always consider how much time you'll really spend going out and exploring as compared to how much time you'll have to sit in traffic if you live in a cool neighborhood but are always sitting in traffic to/from work. At least that's how I look at it...:-)
Richardson is a good place to "split the difference," if you like.

DH and I like its relatively central location; we have family all over Dallas & the northern burbs and it's definitely easier to get to them from where we are. We're also on 75 which brings its own advantages. Sure, the traffic sucks...but there's always DART.

Plus, we love that there's a lot to do within walking/biking distance. Our neighborhood's walkability is excellent. There aren't many affordable neighborhoods with good schools where you can walk to a movie theater, a bookstore, several restaurants, banks, a grocery store, etc.

Additionally, Richardson's city management is excellent, and dealing with the city is very easy.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:28 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,341,735 times
Quote:
I noticed a few listings in tbe $325k range in Munger Place/ Junius Heights part of Old East Dallas (just north of Baylor hospital area, parallel to Swiss Ave). Worth a look - the elementary school, Lipscomb, is good and has a lot of neighborbood support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas