Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 10:48 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,068,325 times

Advertisements

I've been house hunting in Flower Mound. Surprisingly the heat hasn't killed
me yet but the house search might.

We upped our budget to $490,000. That is all we can do while still putting away a large sum for college and into savings and without touching our retirement. And honestly I feel like that should be enough to find a good house that we could be happy in for 10 + years.

We ran into the outbid problem. We bid $10,000 over asking no contingenciea and we got outbid. The house was nice but honestly it wasn't even in that great of condition.

We saw another house we like OK for significantly less but it is a bit too small. Gorgeous backyard though.

So we sem to have these choices:

1) expand our search to schools feeding into Keller HS. (I really do like Flower Mound though)

2) get less than what we were hoping for house wise but stay in Flower Mound

3) Rent an apartment somewhere in FM so we can register for school and see what comes up for sale

4) do nothing and see what else comes on in the market in the next few weeks

Experts...please weigh in

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 07-23-2017 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 11:09 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,172,267 times
I would go for number 2. Buyers get carried away while home shopping and their wants and tastes evolve at high speed. Once the process is over, they end up paying more than they planned for homes much bigger/fancier than anyone cares for, in towns they weren't even looking at and with schools they didn't feel comfortable with. At that point, all they can do is consoling themselves with these lullabies.

1. I don't mind longer commute.
2. It's all about parenting, all schools are equal.
3. My family would've been miserable without media room and latest cabinets that other families have.
4. It was a wise decision to go over budget, guests love our house.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:37 AM

I'm not talking media rooms and such. I would prefer not to back up
to a 6 lane road or a grocery store.

Commute is about the same.

And is Keller HS BAD?

Old 07-23-2017, 11:49 AM

420 posts, read 403,142 times
Personally, I'd go #3.

Get minimalist and put the bulk of your stuff in storage. Right now is peak "desperately buying" season. Give yourself the flexibility to be able to make a sound decision that doesn't have the level of compromise you're looking at.

Keller HS really isn't bad, but why sell yourself short if you don't have to? Get a 6 month lease somewhere and wait.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:51 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,172,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I'm not talking media rooms and such. I would prefer not to back up
to a 6 lane road or a grocery store.

Commute is about the same.

And is Keller HS BAD?
1. Those are legit concerns. I would compromise on age of the house or upgrades or floor plan instead of backing up to anything commercial.

2. No but FM is better and you wrote that you prefer it.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:11 PM

210 posts, read 275,655 times
Here in the Frisco, Prosper, McKinney, Celina and Allen area buyers are being wisely guided by their Realtors to just buy new and avoid these ridiculous bidding wars! That way your sales price is locked in and your family does not face the turmoil you are in now.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:20 PM

45 posts, read 50,634 times
Get a six month lease and wait it out a bit! That's what we will be doing. The market is beginning to slow down, a few more months and these sellers will have to face the reality that crazy mark-up season is over.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:07 PM

213 posts, read 314,994 times
Are houses from 450k to 490k still going into multiple offers? My hood fits in that category and I feel like they sit a week or two before the go under contract. I understand the under 400k still being hot but I thought it slacked off a bit as the price went higher.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:14 PM

213 posts, read 314,994 times
Also, if you do the apartment thing, be mindful of the school zoning for the apartment. We did six months at Archstone Lexington when we moved here and had a middle schooler at the time so when I was house hunting I had to stay around the area I was in to not have to change schools. So if you have a few neighborhoods that you like really well try to find an apartment in the same feeder. FYI, Archstone Lexington was very nice and quiet - good residents, six months there flew by.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsmom4 View Post
Are houses from 450k to 490k still going into multiple offers? My hood fits in that category and I feel like they sit a week or two before the go under contract. I understand the under 400k still being hot but I thought it slacked off a bit as the price went higher.
Apparently yes....we saw the house the first day it was for sale. We were the first offer. Not good enough though. And the sellers dragged their feet too, drawing out the multiple offers. Considering the HVAC units were original and from 1999, the carpet needed replacing, and the whole house needed painting, I was uncomfortable going over $490. It did have a gorgeous backyard though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas