Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 06:37 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
What I've gathered from this thread is lack of nice housing options in Southlake, Coppell, Flower Mound, Colleyville or Keller for <$500k. I see three solutions for this dilemma.

Why other buyers aren't tripping over each other to pick this no brainer with newer/nicer/cheaper housing? It can't be that I'm the only smart buyer in the town and rest of the market is dumb.

What would you do?
No one ever said this or even implied this, especially not me.

Maybe it's that DFW is huge and people new to the area don't have as much time as they would like to check everything out. So maybe they ask here trying to get helpful information. Instead, what we get are snide comments and insults.

I still haven't had anyone tell me what is "wrong" with these areas other than they aren't FM, Colleyville, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 07:12 AM

422 posts, read 542,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

Maybe it's that DFW is huge and people new to the area don't have as much time as they would like to check everything out. So maybe they ask here trying to get helpful information. Instead, what we get are snide comments and insults.

I still haven't had anyone tell me what is "wrong" with these areas other than they aren't FM, Colleyville, etc.
I don't live in any of the aforementioned areas OP, but what's I can tell you is this board is skewed towards only the best. And if you're not looking in, or buying in the best, you must not be on their level. So take it with a grain of salt when "this place isn't good enough" etc..

Good luck in your search, hard to believe $490k isn't getting you in something. Also it's a crazy time of year for real estate.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:16 AM

213 posts, read 183,473 times
Fun thread, I feel your concern. We're not looking to buy in DFW for another couple of years, but from reading here I am not looking forward to it!

If you have done your research and landed on one or two areas you'd prefer, then I'd stick it out and rent if need be. Only you know your family's timeline and how long you can wait, but if renting is an option for 6 months or so it does seem to be the better option for you. Visiting every little nook of DFW and asking for opinions here is tiring - there's happy and sad people everywhere, and you might just end up cherry-picking comments that align with your own assumptions anyways

Old 07-24-2017, 07:17 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Nothing wrong with NRH. Just further out, borders less desirable areas on the west side, and also Richland Hills (neighbor, not NRH) is quite blue collar. And the schools are fine, a notch below GCISD but the Keller schools are not rated poorly by any standard.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
You may end up with a highway, cement plant or grocery store near you anyways, zoning on unoccupied land is never guaranteed.
This should be burned into the brain of everyone looking to build in outlying areas. A former coworker of mine that I keep in touch with has just sold her house because she didn't like what was built behind it 2 years after she moved in.

Quote:
I agree with this, which is why we bid on it. But when it is the tippy-top of your budget, it is worrisome to have the 18 year old HVAC units, which I believe is considered near the life term?
Our AC is about that old and it's humming along. I've had to have work done on it pretty regularly but it's all been covered by the home warranty. The warranty doesn't cover freon but you usually don't need tons of it anyway. If an AC guy tells you he needs to drain out all of your freon, get a second opinion.

We don't plan on replacing our AC until it's unfixable.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post
I don't live in any of the aforementioned areas OP, but what's I can tell you is this board is skewed towards only the best. And if you're not looking in, or buying in the best, you must not be on their level. So take it with a grain of salt when "this place isn't good enough" etc..

Good luck in your search, hard to believe $490k isn't getting you in something. Also it's a crazy time of year for real estate.
Thanks for the comment.

I wonder if eventually some "less desirable" areas will see a renewed interest from buyers, as prices in places like Flower Mound or Colleyville or Grapevine just keep getting more ridiculous. Especially people from out of state might feel like we do and not be hyped to spend half a million for a dirty, out of date house on .19 of an acre with 6 lanes of traffic behind you just because it's in Bridlewood. An influx of new residents and higher incomes might possibly transform some of these other areas.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:23 AM

10 posts, read 36,960 times
Quote:

Sent you a DM

Old 07-24-2017, 07:25 AM

712 posts, read 842,600 times
Quote:
I've been house hunting in Flower Mound. Surprisingly the heat hasn't killed
me yet but the house search might.

We upped our budget to $490,000. That is all we can do while still putting away a large sum for college and into savings and without touching our retirement. And honestly I feel like that should be enough to find a good house that we could be happy in for 10 + years.

We ran into the outbid problem. We bid $10,000 over asking no contingenciea and we got outbid. The house was nice but honestly it wasn't even in that great of condition.

We saw another house we like OK for significantly less but it is a bit too small. Gorgeous backyard though.

So we sem to have these choices:

1) expand our search to schools feeding into Keller HS. (I really do like Flower Mound though)

2) get less than what we were hoping for house wise but stay in Flower Mound

3) Rent an apartment somewhere in FM so we can register for school and see what comes up for sale

4) do nothing and see what else comes on in the market in the next few weeks

Experts...please weigh in

What was the lot size on that property?

Old 07-24-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
What was the lot size on that property?
1/3 of an acre, which is why we loved it. Felt so big compared to 1/4!

Old 07-24-2017, 07:33 AM

213 posts, read 183,473 times
Quote:
Thanks for the comment.

I wonder if eventually some "less desirable" areas will see a renewed interest from buyers, as prices in places like Flower Mound or Colleyville or Grapevine just keep getting more ridiculous. Especially people from out of state might feel like we do and not be hyped to spend half a million for a dirty, out of date house on .19 of an acre with 6 lanes of traffic behind you just because it's in Bridlewood. An influx of new residents and higher incomes might possibly transform some of these other areas.
This is certainly true. People from out of town don't have the stigma on certain areas that in many cases don't hold true anymore. I know that from my home town as well, where affluent ppl from out of town move into areas that were traditionally seen as less desirable, but then within few years are turned around.

Challenge is probably to find those areas that are undervalued, as some areas will probably stay crappy and not develop much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas