Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,842 times

Advertisements

Why are there so many bad and aggressive drivers here? I have been here about 6 months and I have never seen so many bad drivers in one place. Weaving, cutting people off, tailgating, hit and run- have experienced all of the above. City, suburbs, rural, all over. No accidents in three decades, so it's not me! Are there road tests to get a license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 01:58 PM

70 posts, read 74,369 times
stay out of the left hand lane. thx

Old 08-10-2017, 02:13 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
It's true, DFW drivers are really bad. They have a "Jesus take the wheel" mentality. The unpredictability is what makes them the most dangerous.

However, sometimes I wonder if my opinion of how bad they are is due to the fact that I drove much more frequently in DFW than in other places I've lived.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:20 PM

140 posts, read 178,776 times
ever driven in india? bingo....

Old 08-10-2017, 02:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Yeah, people are self-absorbed, cell-phone-clutching aholes who don't care who they kill.

Just be hypervigilant when driving and learn to predict their idiocy.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:34 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, people are self-absorbed, cell-phone-clutching aholes who don't care who they kill.

Just be hypervigilant when driving and learn to predict their idiocy.

To this and to the poster who remarked about Indian drivers...

There's definitely some truth in those stereotypes, but I've been driving in DFW since 1990...before smartphones and before we had so many south Asian residents...and people weren't better drivers back then. They were just as stupid and aggressive.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:39 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
To this and to the poster who remarked about Indian drivers...

There's definitely some truth in those stereotypes, but I've been driving in DFW since 1990...before smartphones and before we had so many south Asian residents...and people weren't better drivers back then. They were just as stupid and aggressive.
Ive been here since 1989, and I have to tell you that regardless of the genetic makeup of the drivers, people have gotten a lot less polite. And that translates to their driving, as well.

I've also worked in trauma centers before and after cell phones became popular and there has been a big spike in accidents because of that.

I thank you now for making me feel old.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:50 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
I'm going to hazard a few guesses -

DFW is sprawling, it takes forever to get places and traffic during rush hour is bad. These things contribute to people being frustrated and lacking patience while driving.

There's a weird dichotomy here - people taking their sweet time and going under the speed limit vs. people that regularly do 15 over and are aggressive. It's a dangerous mix that contributes to the point above and to unpredictability.

Lack of enforcement - I don't have a lot of basis for comparison to other places but it seems like there's NEVER traffic cops around pulling anyone over for anything. When people feel there's no chance of them getting caught they get flagrantly ignore traffic laws.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:03 PM

769 posts, read 782,731 times
I'm one of the drivers that you label "aggressive" and "bad" because I weave in and out of traffic.

I do this because I have a small and very responsive vehicle and can't stand the myriad of SUV drivers who can't get moving when the light turns green and when they eventually get off their cell phone they caress the gas pedal to "accelerate" as if their behemoth has a 20HP engine. Once they do they putter along the left lane well below the speed limit.

Saturday night on 75 is the other extreme.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:06 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persdawg View Post
stay out of the left hand lane. thx
I have been in the slow lane (speeding) and have had drivers use the emergency lane to pass me...That has happened twice. Terrible, unskilled drivers here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas