Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 08:40 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,361,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewife View Post
I'm removing DC as its selection because the area is just too expensive.

That leaves Dallas, Atlanta and Charlotte, not necessarily in that order. I actually think it comes down to the latter two depending on how things are financed.
Raleigh's a better choice than Charlotte. It is closer to Duke, NC, and NC State and has somewhat of a Tech hub with the Research Triangle. I've lived in Atlanta and now in Dallas. I've always felt Atlanta has not done enough to improve its livability and has actually regressed due to failure to improve its regional mobility, add a second airport (a site was actually picked in Gwinnett County northeast of the City but the county locals balked.) and plan for expanding water needs. There is a true lack of cooperation between the city and suburbs which is not the case for DFW. DFW did a metro-wide presentation that would never happen in Atlanta. its a Rob-Peter-to-Pay Paul mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 09:08 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,173,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The Pacific Northwest is also considered the homeland of the white supremacist movement in the US today. Not Seattle itself, but that region as a whole.
True, but in terms of state politics -- bathroom bills and the like that would affect Amazon -- Washington is more in line with the Amazon mindset than most of those who run things in Texas politics. Alt-righters don't have a similar amount of power in Olympia as conservative Christian Republicans in Austin.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:09 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,361,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Agreed. The only true suburb in Texas that is truely a corporate Mecca is Las Colinas Irving. Plano and Frisco don’t even compare to Las Colinas and I highly doubt they will ever reach the level and status of Las Colinas.

Sorry but north Plano is definitely an employment hub now: It doesn't have the scale of Las Colinas which was 12,000 acres and remains one of the largest Master planned developments but after 40 years, it is just about built out.

Las Colinas - Exxon/Mobil, Kimberly Clark, Fluor Engineering, Commercial Metals, Wells Fargo, EOG Resources, AT&T and Verizon Abbott Laboratories, AAA-Texas, AT&T, BlackBerry, The Big 12 Conference and Conference USA Headquarters, Boy Scouts of America, Citigroup, General Motors Financial, Infor, PLH Group, Microsoft, NEC America, Nokia Siemens Oracle, TheBlaze, Accenture, Stellar, Verizon, Zale Corporation, Vizient, Inc., Cortland Partners, PNM Resources, Inc., First Choice Power, Westwood One, TRT Holdings, Inc., and Flowserve.

North Plano/Frisco
Penneys, Toyota, Liberty Mutual, Chase Bank, FedexOffice, Frito Lay, Dell (EDS), Dr. Pepper, GreatBatch, Capital One, NTT Data,

| HALL Park - 162 acres.

Home | Granite Properties | Dallas, TX - North Plano - Fannie Mae is moving here

Old 12-06-2017, 05:27 AM

194 posts, read 156,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
True, but in terms of state politics -- bathroom bills and the like that would affect Amazon -- Washington is more in line with the Amazon mindset than most of those who run things in Texas politics. Alt-righters don't have a similar amount of power in Olympia as conservative Christian Republicans in Austin.
Christian patriot isn't alt-right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Raleigh's a better choice than Charlotte. It is closer to Duke, NC, and NC State and has somewhat of a Tech hub with the Research Triangle.
Then Seattle only has University of Washington. Just another school. A lot of these talent resources don't even graduate. They come from all over. They're cross disciplinarian. Early tech pioneer companies in the 90s in Seattle were getting some of their best programmers from community colleges.

Quote:
I've lived in Atlanta and now in Dallas. I've always felt Atlanta has not done enough to improve its livability and has actually regressed due to failure to improve its regional mobility, add a second airport (a site was actually picked in Gwinnett County northeast of the City but the county locals balked.) and plan for expanding water needs. There is a true lack of cooperation between the city and suburbs which is not the case for DFW. DFW did a metro-wide presentation that would never happen in Atlanta. its a Rob-Peter-to-Pay Paul mentality.
Interesting analysis.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Texas isn't really all that "alt-right." We have a weak governor and the legislature is in session for 140 days in every odd-numbered year. The electorate here will also inevitably be dragged to the left by all of the blue staters flooding into the state. I've already seen a sizeable shift in my lifetime, and I'm not talking about the old school "Democrats" who used to run things waaaaaay before I was born or the blue dogs of my childhood.

That said, I really hope Amazon lands somewhere else.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:42 AM

194 posts, read 156,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Texas isn't really all that "alt-right." We have a weak governor and the legislature is in session for 140 days in every odd-numbered year. The electorate here will also inevitably be dragged to the left by all of the blue staters flooding into the state. I've already seen a sizeable shift in my lifetime, and I'm not talking about the old school "Democrats" who used to run things waaaaaay before I was born or the blue dogs of my childhood.

That said, I really hope Amazon lands somewhere else.
It isn't alt right anyway. Alt right is a new Dem-coined term (nobody'd ever heard of that Spencer character) deployed in an attempt to confuse liberty/patriot/paleo, with some whack leftist confections of their own. Even the Charlottesville organizer was a Hillary supporter last year.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
It isn't alt right anyway. Alt right is a new Dem-coined term (nobody'd ever heard of that Spencer character) deployed in an attempt to confuse liberty/patriot/paleo, with some whack leftist confections of their own. Even the Charlottesville organizer was a Hillary supporter last year.
"Alt-right" is whatever the person using the term thinks it is. It seems to have replaced "wingnut" in the vernacular.

I still call myself a liberal (though I agree with the Democrats far less often than I used to) but I don't use the term "alt-right" to describe someone who disagrees with me. Name-calling is counterproductive but people do seem to love putting labels on things. I've been called pretty much anything you can think of on the political insult spectrum from "tree-hugging Pinko commie" to "right-wing Nazi nutjob."

Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 AM

480 posts, read 845,478 times
Quote:
I think Breitbart and his advocates (Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulus, Steve Bannon, etc.) embraced the idea of establishing a structural division within the Republican party, building on the example of the Tea Party movement. They were the ones on the right who pushed the "establishment Republicans are a bunch of weaklings and RINOs, addicted to debt and spending" meme.

For them, alt-right meant "an alternative to the Republicans who claim to be right-wing but aren't." They were "not an establishment conservative, not a never-Trumper, not libertarian," even though they weren't necessarily in favor of Trump, or opposed to conservative viewpoints, and most of them were at least vaguely libertarian. So they defined themselves as alt-right.

Then, even though it was the furthest thing from Breitbart's original intent, the Democrats used the media to spin "alt-right" into a pejorative that meant "Nazi/fascist/white supremacist/national supremacist." The media dug hard to find where they called themselves alt-right, although they had no intention of aligning themselves with that fringe. It would be like bashing Democrats because they were the party of racism opposed to Lincoln, or digging up a comment I made at some point about how I loved blondes, and taking it to my wife and saying "see, you're a brunette, here's proof that he doesn't really love you."

They've been doing this on the Left for decades - it's comparable to the way they took NeoCon and spun it into "the people who brought you the Iraq war and all of its horrors." Did NeoCons bring about the Iraq war? Yup. Who else voted in favor of the Iraq war? The Democrats. But they were led astray by those pesky NeoCons. So nobody now will take on that label.

Now that the establishment Republicans have a chance to shift the "hater/racist/homophobe/whatever" tag over onto the whackadoodle fringe that the media had publicized as alt-right, it's hardly surprising that they'd take advantage of that, and eliminate a real threat to their power base. So now the Nazis and the KKK, who everybody despises, are lumped in with the term "alt-right." A useful distinction got destroyed through innuendo.

Incidentally, this is parallel to the way Bernie's supporters are being destroyed by establishment Democrats, even to the point of corrupting the DNC to collude with the Clinton campaign.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:28 PM

341 posts, read 1,019,300 times
Quote:
I lived and worked for awhile in Olympia, Wa and trust me that place by comparison makes Austin seem like maybe just a little bit liberal. I'm not knocking the people, it's just that Austin is not the least bit weird compared to Olympia, now Olympia is really freakin weird and strange in a political sense.
I will say this, there remains some strong support in Washington state from what I saw for the business community. You know they aren't anti-capitalism like in lala land.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:32 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Raleigh's a better choice than Charlotte. It is closer to Duke, NC, and NC State and has somewhat of a Tech hub with the Research Triangle. I've lived in Atlanta and now in Dallas. I've always felt Atlanta has not done enough to improve its livability and has actually regressed due to failure to improve its regional mobility, add a second airport (a site was actually picked in Gwinnett County northeast of the City but the county locals balked.) and plan for expanding water needs. There is a true lack of cooperation between the city and suburbs which is not the case for DFW. DFW did a metro-wide presentation that would never happen in Atlanta. its a Rob-Peter-to-Pay Paul mentality.
Well maybe Atlanta can right the ship with that. DFW wasn't always together (see Boeing) and really still isn't but city leaders learned their lesson from Boeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas