Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 06:30 PM

19,801 posts, read 18,104,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Well maybe Atlanta can right the ship with that. DFW wasn't always together (see Boeing) and really still isn't but city leaders learned their lesson from Boeing.
Can we please let that BS die?

Boeing HQ moved to Chicago because of sailing and little else.

Hint the then CEO of Boeing was a big sailor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 06:23 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
I think DFW would be ideal for a Google second HQ. I continue to be baffled by the idea of a second HQ. Why would you do this other than to play one location agains the other in terms of business attractiveness? What examples are their of companies with two HQ?

I can see if Amazon is considering a spin off that splitting HQ for the two business compenents they might separate into different companies but there is no pattern of this in Amazon's history or its pattern of business growth through acquisitions and expansions of its direct business activity such as Whole Foods.

Can anyone give me an example of a company that has two HQ's? I know Shell had two HQ in Europe, one is The Hague and one in London which reflected the roots of the combined company. I do not know if they still maintain that concept however. Why would a company do this? I am not looking for answers but wanted to raise this perspective again. This is not an attempt to hijack this thread

Old 12-08-2017, 08:58 AM

194 posts, read 156,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I think DFW would be ideal for a Google second HQ. I continue to be baffled by the idea of a second HQ. Why would you do this other than to play one location agains the other in terms of business attractiveness? What examples are their of companies with two HQ?

I can see if Amazon is considering a spin off that splitting HQ for the two business compenents they might separate into different companies but there is no pattern of this in Amazon's history or its pattern of business growth through acquisitions and expansions of its direct business activity such as Whole Foods.

Can anyone give me an example of a company that has two HQ's? I know Shell had two HQ in Europe, one is The Hague and one in London which reflected the roots of the combined company. I do not know if they still maintain that concept however. Why would a company do this? I am not looking for answers but wanted to raise this perspective again. This is not an attempt to hijack this thread
The company may be running up against limits on COL as well as practical limits on logistics and physical plant. Yet wants to maintain its Pacific Northwest identity and worker base.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:22 AM

I could foresee a day not too distant when it's also competing head to head with FedEx to ship any packages, not just its own.

Last edited by Alewife; 12-08-2017 at 09:49 AM..

Old 12-09-2017, 08:47 AM

341 posts, read 1,019,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Besides Shell, other examples in the O&G industry are Schlumberger and Haliburton and as we know these O&G service companies have ops spread across different areas, in fact across different continents of the entire globe.
If a company has multiple HDs it's for marketing or operating reasons but in fact, in reality we know
that a company only has a single Headquarters and of course that's where the CEO resides and spends most of his/her time. Therefor in the case of Amazon I'm pretty confidant the HDs will remain in the PAC-NW because JB seems like a real Seattle kind a guy, Billy-Bob he's not so maybe that gives places like North Texas and & ATL faint hope that they might land the second, nominal Amazon HDqs.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:36 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,652,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Raleigh's a better choice than Charlotte. It is closer to Duke, NC, and NC State and has somewhat of a Tech hub with the Research Triangle. I've lived in Atlanta and now in Dallas. I've always felt Atlanta has not done enough to improve its livability and has actually regressed due to failure to improve its regional mobility, add a second airport (a site was actually picked in Gwinnett County northeast of the City but the county locals balked.) and plan for expanding water needs. There is a true lack of cooperation between the city and suburbs which is not the case for DFW. DFW did a metro-wide presentation that would never happen in Atlanta. its a Rob-Peter-to-Pay Paul mentality.
Raleigh is more quaint and a great city, but Charlotte has more of an urban core center. Both are great cities, and both have nice suburbs if that is what someone is looking for.

Fort Worth is more like Charlotte, and Dallas is bigger then both, so the DFW area has more to offer in general, and is a lot closer then Raleigh and Charlotte are.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Raleigh is more quaint and a great city, but Charlotte has more of an urban core center. Both are great cities, and both have nice suburbs if that is what someone is looking for.

Fort Worth is more like Charlotte, and Dallas is bigger then both, so the DFW area has more to offer in general, and is a lot closer then Raleigh and Charlotte are.
But with Charlotte you get the Fort Worth without having to deal with the Dallas stuff.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:41 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,652,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewife View Post
But with Charlotte you get the Fort Worth without having to deal with the Dallas stuff.
Possibly, but what is wrong with the Dallas stuff? Dallas has a lot going for it.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Possibly, but what is wrong with the Dallas stuff? Dallas has a lot going for it.
Maybe they'll choose Fort Worth. They still get the airport hub with no state income tax.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,308,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewife View Post

What "stuff"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas