Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 01:16 PM

9 posts, read 41,637 times

Advertisements

I wanted to know what Carrolton, TX is like. Is it a safe area? Are there many young singles? Are there many apartment communities? Is it pretty diverse? Would you live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 01:39 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix200878 View Post
I wanted to know what Carrolton, TX is like. Is it a safe area? Are there many young singles? Are there many apartment communities? Is it pretty diverse? Would you live there?

I would consider Carrollton to be very safe. They do have apartments in some parts of the city. In fact my wife lived in Carrollton when we meet. I would say there are quite a few singles who live there but the closet single scene would be in Addison (5 minutes away). It's a older but nice burb to live in.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:44 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
I lived in Carrollton from 1990-1999. I lived around the Rosemead/Midway area. It was fun but the traffic around there was horrendous!! That was almost 10 years ago that I left and when I have driven by there at rush hour now, it is even WORSE. As long as you are not leaving your house/apt. during rush hour you are ok. There is a shopping strip right on Rosemeade and Midway that has several restaurants/shops/tanning salons/ and I would see a lot of singles there. Even now, that we live in McKinney, my husband and I have ventured down there at night to have some really good food at the Shuck n Jive at that corner. That whole area is JUMPIN'!! even on a weekday night. I don't know how it is to live there now, but it was pretty safe when we lived there. We still have a friend who lives in the area and they seem to like it. Just a word of caution, Carrollton is a BIG city with LOTS of traffic. But like I said you are ok if you avoid commuting during rush hour (flex your time/work from home). Would I move back??? NOPE.

PS. THERE ARE LOTS OF APTS. IN CARROLLTON!! That is one of the reasons we would not move back and yes it's VERY diverse.

Last edited by CTR36; 03-17-2008 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: added the ps

Old 04-04-2008, 10:44 AM

4 posts, read 17,076 times
I moved to Carrollton 10 years ago- I have not had any problems. My daughter lived in an apt here for years, and also never had a problem. There are a couple of complexes that I wouldn't move to- I went with to look at the apts on Josey, just south of Frankford, and they were pretty run down- people hanging out near stairwells and the pool was icky. But most that we looked at were fine- Nothing spectacular, but safe, clean apts with lots of working folks- singles and couples.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I lived in Carrollton from 1990-1999. I lived around the Rosemead/Midway area. It was fun but the traffic around there was horrendous!! That was almost 10 years ago that I left and when I have driven by there at rush hour now, it is even WORSE.
Just a word of caution, Carrollton is a BIG city with LOTS of traffic. But like I said you are ok if you avoid commuting during rush hour (flex your time/work from home). Would I move back??? NOPE.

PS. THERE ARE LOTS OF APTS. IN CARROLLTON!! That is one of the reasons we would not move back and yes it's VERY diverse.
I have to disagree with the traffic statement - to an extent.
Here's the deal as I see it - George bush Turnpike runs like a big artery through Carrollton and EVERYONE heading east or west from the suburbs is on it. Once you get to where roads split off heading into Dallas the traffic eases up. Inside Carrollton itself traffic is a snap. Its sleepy town during working hours and very easy to drive in.
There are many many apartments in Carrollton. If you are an apt dweller you will find many options. If, like us, you are shopping for a home then there are quite a few areas that have no apartments - yet. the DART rail service is going in on the west end of Carrollton and MY guess is that apts will sprout up all around the station in the years to come. Not necessarily a bad thing. I lived in nice apartments for years as a student.
Diversity - if you see it as a good thing - is excellent in Carrollton. there is a huge Asian population - Indian, Pakistani, Korean, etc. There are Indian and Korean supermarkets and a new shopping center is coming in on Old Denton with all things Asian. Just south of old Denton you have another shopping strip with all things Indian.
Crime is a factor in East Carrollton but things are quieter in West carrollton. Just like any other town some sections are the pits and others are really nice.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:02 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,451 times
Oh and we do live there
Moved down to the Texas area from Indiana six months ago and just bought a house in Carrollton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas