Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:30 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,146,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
I've had two friends almost die as a result of their pregnancies, so if a medical professional is telling you to have the delivery in a hospital, I'd be inclined to listen.

However, if your doctor checks you out and doesn't see any issues, but your friends and family are pressuring you, I would say it's more up to you. I would go just to not have to listen to my mom...

Some friends of mine who got pregnant just before the insurance kicked in ended up doing the midwife thing because it was considerably cheaper. You'll never forgive yourself, though, if there are complications and you lose the baby because you were trying to save money.
Every other women that gives birth in the hospital these days has an "I almost died" story.

Last edited by laysayfair; 06-20-2008 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 11:32 AM

812 posts, read 2,307,897 times
Well I give you ladies a lot of credit! Call me a wimp, I gave birth once, couldn't give birth naturally then and I admire your wanting to do the best for your babies! Way to go!

Old 06-20-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
Well I give you ladies a lot of credit! Call me a wimp, I gave birth once, couldn't give birth naturally then and I admire your wanting to do the best for your babies! Way to go!
How generous-hearted of you! It's nice that you're open and not defensive. Rep point coming.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:51 AM

812 posts, read 2,307,897 times
Nothing to be defensive about! I admire anyone who has strengths I don't have. It takes a lot of courage and it is inspiring to see this. You ladies are role models for the young out there. I'm middle aged myself, but to see this is just awesome.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:09 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,485,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
Please don't call yourself a wimp! I wanted drugs - it hurt so much. But the reason I chose a mid-wife was because I knew she would support my beliefs in the darkest hour and talked me out of it.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:25 PM

247 posts, read 737,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netfrog View Post
Baylor is indeed a viable option if you want a natural birth. Presbyterian Dallas also has a birthing suite with a whirlpool, etc. and is more open to natural birth than some (steer clear of Presbyterian Plano, though - they have one of the highest elective-Caesarian rates anywhere).

In addition to the Birth Center on Swiss Avenue mentioned above, there is also the Allen Birthing Center up in Allen - they are excellent (Allen Birthing Center - Dallas Midwife: Honoring the Spirit of Birth)
I delivered at Presby Plano in 2007 at age 43 and I did have a c-section because my son was transverse. However, I have to say that my birth experience was very good despite the c-section. My son had to spend time in the NICU and the care he received was excellent. When I was was almost frozen with fear for my son, the maternity ward nurses and NICU nurses went out of their way to provide emotional support and encouragement. Presby Plano is also very pro breastfeeding. It was not so much "are you going to breastfeed?" as it was "breastfeeding is what you'll want to do for your baby." They had a lactation consultant at my bedside almost immediately and really helped me to establish good production from the get go. I was not certain about breastfeeding before I delivered but the LC's at Presby Plano (and it seemed like every nurse in the maternity ward and the NICU was an LC) were kind and supportive with out being pushy and for that I would not trade Presby Plano for any other hospital.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:58 AM

430 posts, read 1,359,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutchins View Post
Exactly! There is a reason that research shows that out of hospital births are safer than hospital births.
There is a reason that is for sure.

The women who have kids out of the hospital are self-selected with few known complications. Therefore, its not suprising that they have fewer complications than all women.

The same goes for in-hospital births. In that group are women who WILL have complications, therefore, the in-hospital group will have a higher rate of issues than all women.

My wife has a unicornate uterus. Its only about 60% the normal size. Furthermore, all her blood female relatives going back into the early 1800s have had very short labors - less than 4 hours from labor starting to delivery.

In short, she was high-risk from the 5th month on. From the 3rd month on the baby was breech and due to my wife's small uterus and the large baby, the kid never turned around. The Dr told us every day after the 6th month was a gift.

On the day our child was born ( 5 week early), my wife got up at 8am and I went to work. She felt fine. I got a call at 10am that she was feeling contractions. When I got home at 10:30 she was in full labor with contractions every 3 minutes. We drove to Presby Dallas and they took her right to delivery where she was already at a 2. The Dr arrived at 11:30 and and she was at a 4 with the baby was breech and nothing could be done as the water had broken. She was prepped for C-section w/ an epidural and our son was born at 1 pm.

Without a hospital and a c-section its likely that ( in the old days) my wife and son would be dead. My son is the most happiest baby I have ever seen and he is very active - at 5 mos he can already stand by himself. He is the light of our lives.

So all you natural birth snobs can kiss my son's butt.

My wife was up and eating and taking care of our son 3 hours after delivery. Most women who do natural delivery are wiped out. There is a reason the planned inducement route is called the "Princess Plan." There is a lot to be said for planning things out - the least of which is having a Doctor and staff alert and awake, rather than zombied out.

Hats off to Presby and their great staff.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnetx View Post
There is a reason that is for sure.

The women who have kids out of the hospital are self-selected with few known complications. Therefore, its not suprising that they have fewer complications than all women.

The same goes for in-hospital births. In that group are women who WILL have complications, therefore, the in-hospital group will have a higher rate of issues than all women.

My wife has a unicornate uterus. Its only about 60% the normal size. Furthermore, all her blood female relatives going back into the early 1800s have had very short labors - less than 4 hours from labor starting to delivery.

In short, she was high-risk from the 5th month on. From the 3rd month on the baby was breech and due to my wife's small uterus and the large baby, the kid never turned around. The Dr told us every day after the 6th month was a gift.

On the day our child was born ( 5 week early), my wife got up at 8am and I went to work. She felt fine. I got a call at 10am that she was feeling contractions. When I got home at 10:30 she was in full labor with contractions every 3 minutes. We drove to Presby Dallas and they took her right to delivery where she was already at a 2. The Dr arrived at 11:30 and and she was at a 4 with the baby was breech and nothing could be done as the water had broken. She was prepped for C-section w/ an epidural and our son was born at 1 pm.

Without a hospital and a c-section its likely that ( in the old days) my wife and son would be dead. My son is the most happiest baby I have ever seen and he is very active - at 5 mos he can already stand by himself. He is the light of our lives.

So all you natural birth snobs can kiss my son's butt.

My wife was up and eating and taking care of our son 3 hours after delivery. Most women who do natural delivery are wiped out. There is a reason the planned inducement route is called the "Princess Plan." There is a lot to be said for planning things out - the least of which is having a Doctor and staff alert and awake, rather than zombied out.

Hats off to Presby and their great staff.
I was up immediately after my son was born at home. I could have gone running. All over the world women squat, give birth and continue what they were doing. I won't argue that women in hospitals may be wiped out after birth (I don't know whether that's true or not). Never heard of home birth Moms being anything but energized after birth. Glad your birth turned out well for you and your family no matter where you gave birth. Also- that was a good post right up to where it started accusing people of being snobs and talking about kissing butt (even if I'm sure the butt is adorable).

Last edited by laysayfair; 06-21-2008 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: add

Old 06-22-2008, 09:39 PM

10 posts, read 66,344 times

Not totally true, I had 2 amazing hospital births followed by a fabulous birthing center birth. Many parents just don't know the options that are out there, thus choose hospitals b/c that is what is socially accepted. The 'cascade of interventions' was an articled published late 80's early 90's in medical journals. It specifically address the tendency of hospitals to precipitate many of the problems that end in c-section and interventions.

I'm so glad that your wife and son are well/healthy. That is ultimatly the goal of any birth, a healthy mom and a healthy baby. It isn't snobby to recognize that the vast majority of parents don't need a c-section, the majority fall into the intervention pattern or are the 'too posh to push' mentality. There is no insult to your family for the birth of your son, and remember it isn't fair to make assumptions or call names to a process that you don't have an experience in or fully understand.

So all you natural birth snobs can kiss my son's butt

So much for zombied out, that is so far from the reality of natural birth that it is almost laughable. The majority of these families have such an endorphine rush that they are on top of the world and feel really good. The staff benefits because of the quick turnover of the beds, but be realistic, c-sections are major abdominal surgery that are better left to situations where benefits outweigh the risks. Natural means unmedicated vaginal births, and in the years that I've taught natural birthing classes, I've not had the parents come out as zombies or have they said that of their providers. I've had 2 of 3 babies btwn. 2:30 and 4:30 am, and my providers were not zombies. The 'princess plan' isn't what people looking for natural births do, that is the anthesis of what people seeking a natural birth are looking for unless there is a specific medical reason that necessitates an induction (which fyi tend to happen early in the a.m. so that the docs don't have to get up early and miss their sleep, so no zombies there either). Perhaps before you make your claims of what natural births and those families look like and their intentions, you should actually visit with some of them. You would find that we don't even ask people to smooch our naturally born kids back sides, we are really pretty nice!

Hats off to Presby and their great staff.[/quote]

They do have a fabulous LC staff, and hats off to that. It is their providers that bog down the system and make them rate as lack luster in meeting the majority of OB needs for non-complicated births.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:13 PM

430 posts, read 1,359,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I was up immediately after my son was born at home. I could have gone running. All over the world women squat, give birth and continue what they were doing. I won't argue that women in hospitals may be wiped out after birth (I don't know whether that's true or not). Never heard of home birth Moms being anything but energized after birth. Glad your birth turned out well for you and your family no matter where you gave birth. Also- that was a good post right up to where it started accusing people of being snobs and talking about kissing butt (even if I'm sure the butt is adorable).
I love the scene in the book Gone with the Wind where Scarlett is eating full course meal right after her daughter is born. It was meant as a moment of levity.

Most of my sister in laws were wiped out after a natural birth. I walked the maternity ward at Presby and most of the moms were asleep. But good for you.

I mean no disrespect to anyone - I do think the "natural Birth" crowd tinge their posts with a touch of fanaticism so I wanted to throw it back at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas