Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 06:06 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,032,433 times

Advertisements

You two are funny.

Have you ever been to NYC? Once you've gone you won't ever talk about skylines again! It makes Houston and Dallas look like Mickey Mouse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 07:40 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,459,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
You two are funny.

Have you ever been to NYC? Once you've gone you won't ever talk about skylines again! It makes Houston and Dallas look like Mickey Mouse!
Oh..Calm down and just go un-friend Sauce Walka....That's who you're mad at.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:24 PM

5,618 posts, read 4,951,353 times
After the Pennzoil buildings got overshadowed by taller buildings, Houston's skyline became less distinctive, though it still has some interesting towers. Dallas will always have Reunion Tower, so you can't mistake it.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The new ones and the "ERON Towers"....My Favorite in Texas.

It's one residential building that Houston kinda recently built that I thought would be my favorite Residential building in Texas also.....But It didn't turn out to look so good when it was finished.

Don't know the name of it or where it's located but it's the building with all the different-sized wavy patios that weave in and out making a sculpture-like exterior of patios.......Help me Houstonians.
That's over in the River Oaks / Highland Village area, not downtown. Can't remember the name offhand.

Old 07-24-2022, 10:35 PM

9,914 posts, read 6,623,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
After the Pennzoil buildings got overshadowed by taller buildings, Houston's skyline became less distinctive, though it still has some interesting towers. Dallas will always have Reunion Tower, so you can't mistake it.
TC Energy (formerly BofA), Counterpoint Plaza and Heritage Plaza are pretty recognizable trio imo. These just opened, but also the Texas Tower and 609 Main

Old 07-25-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
TC Energy (formerly BofA), Counterpoint Plaza and Heritage Plaza are pretty recognizable trio imo. These just opened, but also the Texas Tower and 609 Main
I agree those are distinctive, as are the newest Hines buildings (Skanska's not so much but I guess let's see what happens with the new one), but they lack the punch that Pennzoil had initially. Pennzoil was an extremely dramatic departure from the kinds of towers you saw go up around the nation in the 1950s - 1970s, so it made Houston's skyline instantly recognizable when it was more prominent. That only lasted a few years.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:09 PM

9,914 posts, read 6,623,087 times
Idk man. Here’s a creative customs 3.0 licensed photo that shows both. That effect you’re describing is how I felt for BofA/TC Energy. I’m sure the era we grew up in will register it differently for us. Just like newer Houstonians May one day feel that more from the Texas Tower.

Old 07-25-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Idk man. Here’s a creative customs 3.0 licensed photo that shows both. That effect you’re describing is how I felt for BofA/TC Energy. I’m sure the era we grew up in will register it differently for us. Just like newer Houstonians May one day feel that more from the Texas Tower.
TC Energy has long been my favorite of the downtown towers (though the new Hines tower is also cool). But TC Energy went up during an era when "post-modernism" was rampant, so unusual building crowns had come back in fashion around the country; plus a number of other towers of similar height went up in Downtown Houston (and Dallas), so TC Energy just didn't get a chance to make the same impact nationally as what Pennzoil did for a few years in the mid 1970s.

Also, while I'm not an architectural historian, I believe Pennzoil was Philip Johnson's most famous tower(s) to that point and really had office developers and architects abuzz globally. So in addition to how visible it was on the physical skyline, it also made a unique impact culturally. It was really about how unique it was and its timing in history more than anything - again, for a brief time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas