Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:48 PM

87 posts, read 422,254 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have the choice to move to Dallas. We currently live in the Woodlands. We are in our early 30's.

Can anyone tell us what Dallas is like compared to Houston area. We have heard that we would like Southlake.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:01 PM

409 posts, read 1,561,627 times
Southlake is a great area! Carroll ISD is one of the best in Texas. Great shopping/dining and has a Central Market. Southlake is equidistant between Ft. Worth and Dallas. Windier than Houston but a little cooler and less humid. Overall better climate. You must visit Town Square. There is a website for Southlake Town Center, try to Google it. Our daughter and son-in-law bought a home in Timarron last year and are raising their baby/family there. They really like it there a lot and we love to visit! They also lived in Houston for 6 years and liked a lot, too! They feel that Southlake is a great choice for raising their family!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,816 times
I just have what my sis-in-law has to say...and that is she prefers Dallas over Houston. She grew up there and prefers the overall climate to Houstons.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Tta

64 posts, read 223,196 times
To me, Houston is a more metropolitan city, while Dallas feels a bit more stuck up. I grew up in Dallas (Garland to be exact), and lived in Houston for 5 years. Houston just feels like it has more diversity and culture. I love Dallas, but think that Houston is a great city to live in while young.
Traffic in Dallas is also better than in Houston.
There is more varieties of food in Houston than in Dallas. Just drive down Westheimer and you will see all kinds of cuisine from around the world.
But, if climate is a big concern for you, Dallas is definitely better than Houston (unless you like hot and humid).

Old 03-20-2008, 08:47 AM

686 posts, read 2,436,857 times
Weather is going to be the major difference. Dallas and Houston are more similar than they are different.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:01 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
When I moved to Houston, people thought the Woodlands was so far north that it was part of Dallas.

Where is the job in Dallas?

Old 03-20-2008, 06:16 PM

87 posts, read 422,254 times
Default Where we work

My husband works from home, but travels alot. He needs to be close to a major airport. I'm a nurse, so I can work pretty much anywhere.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:28 PM

76 posts, read 262,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepRN3 View Post
My husband works from home, but travels alot. He needs to be close to a major airport. I'm a nurse, so I can work pretty much anywhere.
DFW airport would fit that bill, and theres always love field for certain trips. Houston is a bit more metropolitan than Dallas, but both cities have plenty to experience.

I should mention that the biggest state fair in the country is held in Dallas, too .

Old 03-23-2008, 03:22 PM

341 posts, read 1,018,977 times
My impression of Dallas is that it is the unquestioned and unequaled "city of Texas". Certaily in legenary terms and perhaps even as a matter of fact ?
And I think most Texans feel that way, and certainly outside the state
in pop cultural terms Dallas is "Americas Texas City", if you will.
Houston on the other hand is much more the international city, a place that has outgrown its Texas roots and relies upon them much less than Dallas.
Because of its compelling prominence in the Energy industry, it is a major player in a global industry while Dallas is not, not to mention its importance as the largest commercial seaport on the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:00 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
My impression of Dallas is that it is the unquestioned and unequaled "city of Texas". Certaily in legenary terms and perhaps even as a matter of fact ?
And I think most Texans feel that way, and certainly outside the state
in pop cultural terms Dallas is "Americas Texas City", if you will.
Houston on the other hand is much more the international city, a place that has outgrown its Texas roots and relies upon them much less than Dallas.
Because of its compelling prominence in the Energy industry, it is a major player in a global industry while Dallas is not, not to mention its importance as the largest commercial seaport on the Gulf of Mexico.
This is a solid quick comparison IMHO. As an adopted Texan, Dallas always seemed to be more "Texas" to me even before I got here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas