Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,504 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been considering relocating from Florida and the Plano/Frisco area is on our radar. I know there are synagogues and Jewish day schools around, but we are still concerned about the Jewish community aspect. We aren't Orthodox but having a connection to the Jewish community and traditions is very important to us. We don't need to be within an eruv or in an exclusively Jewish neighborhood, but we also don't want our kids to grow up feeling like the odd ones out. Do many Jewish families send their children to public schools? As much as we'd love to send our kids to Jewish day school, we don't think we could afford the tuition and fees. How active are young Jewish families in religious life? Is it easy to get kosher food? What kinds of happenings are there in the community during Hanukkah, Sukkot, etc.? (Where I live right now, there are plenty of community events to take our kids to at synagogues, JCCs, Chabad, etc. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 12:41 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2503 View Post
My husband and I have been considering relocating from Florida and the Plano/Frisco area is on our radar. I know there are synagogues and Jewish day schools around, but we are still concerned about the Jewish community aspect. We aren't Orthodox but having a connection to the Jewish community and traditions is very important to us. We don't need to be within an eruv or in an exclusively Jewish neighborhood, but we also don't want our kids to grow up feeling like the odd ones out. Do many Jewish families send their children to public schools? As much as we'd love to send our kids to Jewish day school, we don't think we could afford the tuition and fees. How active are young Jewish families in religious life? Is it easy to get kosher food? What kinds of happenings are there in the community during Hanukkah, Sukkot, etc.? (Where I live right now, there are plenty of community events to take our kids to at synagogues, JCCs, Chabad, etc. )
There are a TON of Jewish and Orthodox Jewish families and communities in the Northern Dallas metro. I know several in Frisco, but most I notice are in Richardson and the Far North Dallas/Addison area. They seem pretty tight knit and involved as a community to me, but I'm not Jewish, so I'm just guessing from how many I know and see in those areas.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 01-11-2018 at 01:10 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 12:50 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I have several Jewish friends who live in West Plano. There are several synagogues around Park / Parker / Preston and I think a pretty big community there. My good friend did Jewish preschool and then onto Plano ISD in Kinder. From what she's said, there are a lot of kids out on the major Jewish holidays and the schools are supportive / easy to work with. They do belong to the Dallas JCC; I'm not sure if there is one in Plano.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:01 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,406,898 times
I dated a Jewish woman in Plano around Tulane/Ohio st area. Her children went to the public school and they were very active within the Jewish community. Also, the Jewish privates up there seem to have a pretty strong scholarship program so don't let the tuition/fees scare you.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I have several Jewish friends who live in West Plano. There are several synagogues around Park / Parker / Preston and I think a pretty big community there.
Oh yeah, there's definitely a pretty big Jewish community in that part of Plano as well. Don't know how I forgot about that.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:22 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Plano is religiously diverse, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, agnostic, secular or heathen, everyone does their thing and others feel completely comfortable and non chalant about it. You’ll notice Plano ISD students are more tolerant, open and inclusive than most places in Texas. They give me hope for a better tomorrow. We have dozens of houses of worship here, including some for Jewish faith as well. One is right across the street from Plano West Senior High. There is another at Park.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:46 PM

50 posts, read 67,739 times
I attended a Plano ISD middle school and had several friends who were Jewish (albeit it was 16 years ago.) I bounced around DFW schools a lot, but I definitely remember Plano having a much higher Jewish population than other areas. I really liked it, because I felt connected to the Jewish culture. (My father, and my father's side of the family are all Jewish)

Old 01-11-2018, 07:56 PM

422 posts, read 522,986 times
North of LBJ, the area between Hillcrest and Hwy 75, south of the GB Turnpike has several synagogues and a high concentration of Jewish families. JJ Pearce would be the high school...Richardson school district. South of LBJ, Hillcrest High School tends to have the highest concentration of Jewish families. Orthodox families tend to cluster around Preston Rd. and Forest Lane (Orthodox congregations nearby). You didn't ask, but the Jewish Community Center is near I-75 and Northaven Road; lots of activities for all ages.

Kosher food can be bought at the Tom Thumb at Preston/Forest (kosher butcher and bakery). There was another one out north somewhere, but not sure they still have the butcher, etc. Also, Costco carries some kosher meat and other items. There a few kosher restaurants, mostly north of LBJ (don't trust google maps on this, as they will list anything that is a "deli" as kosher).

Here's a place to start exploring the community: https://jewishdallas.org Good luck with your move.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:40 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,406,898 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted)

Florida is another country??

Last edited by Acntx; 01-13-2018 at 05:43 AM..

Old 01-12-2018, 08:56 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,527 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted)

(Sigh) EVERYBODY does this. Everyone. So lets all collectively get over it. People do so to live in whatever type of ‘community’ they see as ideal. People with minority cultures do it to make easier to practice said culture. Eg: be able to burn incense on holidays without having the neighbors complain about the smell or being able to wear your cultural attire for a stroll without feeling eyes peering out of windows judging you all the way. Or even, just simply making it easier to raise your kids around other kids that are being raised similarly. Or for expats, to have a feel of home away from home and be able to speak your native language without neighbors assuming you are plotting against them since you know, you said something and pointed in their direction. Or, because you are rich and you want to live amongst other rich people and want to be able to enjoy your money without feeling guilty about the next door neighbors misfortunes every time you make a lifestyle purchase.

Neighborhoods like highland park wouldn’t exist otherwise. And to be clear, it isnt an American phenomenon. I have observed this in every continent i have set foot on.And as someone else mentioned, American expats are experts(ha) at this. Deep down, we all still want to live in a village, So.... please lets move on.

Some of it is good, some of it leads to insularity and ignorance about how other people live but thats why schools exist, and buses and trains and airplanes and cars. So people can LEARN and TRAVEL. Learn about others then go see. The world...other states... or other neighborhoods... gain perspective. One does not have to live in a united nations neighborhood for that.

OP, there is a large and active jewish community in (West) plano. I can’t comment on frisco but you certainly have nothing to worry about in the North dallas area as far as that is concerned. The community is large enough that many of the grocery stores routinely stock kosher foods and special items around jewish holidays. What i don’t know is if there is a dedicated jewish grocer in Plano. Someone may be able to give more insight on that.

Oh and most people, of whatever faith in plano, utilize the public schools.

Last edited by Acntx; 01-13-2018 at 05:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas