Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:09 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Is public kinder in HP that popular? Honest question. Every one of my colleagues living in HP or UP (which is basically all of them) has used private school until 1st grade. Usually just one of the local church schools, but they said what they're doing is fairly common and it's not driven by religious considerations. Just curious as OP seems very interested in the early childhood side of the equation.
Yes, public kinder is very popular in HPISD. I've honestly never heard of what you're describing happening unless it was a child who would benefit from a year of maturing in Primer. And I bet we know many of the same finance/PE families. What IS common is doing kinder at a preschool like UPUMC, HPPC, or Westminster and for then doing kinder again in HPISD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 07:16 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
To OP, there is an ocean of difference between Greenhill and HP/SL and then not much difference between HP/SL.

Greenhill has financial and physical resources that are unparalleled. A handpicked student body. A tremendous focus on diversity. Student teacher ratios are small. Teachers and admin have impeccable credentials and experience. Field trips, travel and extracurriculars are interesting. And it's really damn expensive.

HP / SL are top public schools with the biggest difference being the physical setting- one is city and one is very suburb. Other than that, you're talking small differences in an AP course or two offered at one and not the other or some differences in extracurriculars. Both are full of generally smart kids with generally involved parents. High academic, athletic and EC standards for public schools.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:38 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Errrr what? You may want to review the test scores between these three again. There is a fairly large gap between SLC and HP in HP's favor and a major gap between HP and Greenhill in Greenhill's favor.

A quick glance at ACT scores shows GH's last class average was a 31. That's at the 96th percentile of all takers. HP and SLC shows well too. HP's 27.6 is at the 88th percentile of all takers and SLC's 26.8 is at the 85th. Again all those scores are really good but the considering how rarity works along a curve there is a big difference between HP and Greenhill. SAT scores are similar.
A big difference that can’t be explained by smaller class size and a custom student body?

Not to minimize Greenhill’s (Or any other private school’s) achievements (Which are rather impressive) but i do think its a stretch to imply that the instruction at the privates is by far superior to what can be had at the two most elite public schools based on average test scores alone.

If the instruction is superior; My opinion is that can, again, be explained by the smaller class sizes and customized student body.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:13 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
A big difference that can’t be explained by smaller class size and a custom student body?

Not to minimize Greenhill’s (Or any other private school’s) achievements (Which are rather impressive) but i do think its a stretch to imply that the instruction at the privates is by far superior to what can be had at the two most elite public schools based on average test scores alone.

If the instruction is superior; My opinion is that can, again, be explained by the smaller class sizes and customized student body.
Here are you words that I responded to....
[b]"I struggle to see any major differences between those options when considering matriculation results, test scores and the general education received."/B]

1. Test scores are much better at Greenhill - there is simply no decent counter argument.
2. Matriculations, a fairly weak metric IMO, are "better" at Greenhill - better schools and more kids being admitted to tough through the toughest programs.

So far as teachers being better somewhere between the three.......I don't think it matters. What does matter is Greenhill teachers are able to teach to a higher level, move faster, and probe deeper because each class is more academically capable.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:40 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,176,660 times
I think biggest difference is that teachers are answerable to parents and administration. It’s much easier to get bad ones fired. It’s a private business, they want to make customers happy. Second, it’s not like they admit geniuses but they can avoid dumb and poor so higher average IQ and they start at higher basic standard to begin with. Third, parents are more involved, community is smaller, rather homogenous (financince and education) and more resourceful. Without beurucratic demands, it’s easier to custom tailor learning. Academic counseling is better. Successes are celebrated and opportunities are offered to bright kids as their accomplishments bring prestige to school.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:42 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
I think biggest difference is that teachers are answerable to parents and administration. It’s much easier to get bad ones fired. It’s a private business, they want to make customers happy. Second, it’s not like they admit geniuses but they can avoid dumb and poor so higher average IQ and they start at higher basic standard to begin with. Third, parents are more involved, community is smaller, rather homogenous (financince and education) and more resourceful. Without beurucratic demands, it’s easier to custom tailor learning. Academic counseling is better. Successes are celebrated and opportunities are offered to bright kids as their accomplishments bring prestige to school.
That's a fair run down.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:53 PM

554 posts, read 684,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundallas1 View Post
Thanks all for the replies.

BTW, who from the school typically conducts the parent interviews at Greenhill / Hockaday/ ESD? i.e. Admissions office Director/Assistant Director or Grade Teachers?

Thanks!
Susie
At our school, it was the admissions director or one of the assistant directors based on friends' experiences. I think it is pretty standard that someone from the admissions office does the parent interviews, as they head the process. However, it's important to note that just because an assistant admissions director interviews you (as opposed to the admissions director him/herself), it doesn't mean that you are an inferior candidate. All schools have to divide up these interviews based on sheer number of applicants and sometimes, they assign the assistant director responsible for your division (preschool, lower school, middle school, or upper school) because they have a better pulse on that specific division.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas