Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:13 AM

24 posts, read 38,904 times

Advertisements

I know this question has been posted multiple times but every family's situation is different. We are moving to Dallas in a month and half and we can't decide where to live! 😳
One of us works in Addison, the other East of downtown Dallas in the State Fairgrounds area. Budget is in $500 K (3-4 bed and pool) and schools are very important. I know the combination of all things we want makes it a bit difficult to find something in our budget range. We have 2 elementary school children. We are looking at Richardson (Brentfield vs Canyon Creek/Prairie Creek) as well as Plano (probably West but haven't really toured other elementary schools in Plano). We enjoy visiting parks and libraries and don't want to commute any kind than 45 min each. TIA for any advice helping us find the right place to relocate our family to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 05:03 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
You can't go wrong with either as both towns fit your needs. Richardson is closer to Fair park, Plano schools are a notch higher. Addison commute can be roughly same from both places depending on which part of Plano or Richardson you are in.

I'm in West Plano and love Renner Middle school area (Brinker/Barksdale/Centennial elementary schools), if you can find a house in your price range, this is the most happening place of the decade in DFW.

NE part of Richardson feeds to Plano schools and offers new and newer construction as well.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
If you want a shorter commute, Richardson. It's closer to Fair Park, but not a whole heckuva lot closer.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:19 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times
You should live in Richardson around Beltline. There's a rail stop to Fair Park giving you transit options, and Addison is quick drive to the west. I would think you would be able to find something nice between Plano Road to the east and Preston to the west.

You can also live slightly farther south in far north Dallas. Richardson ISD stretches pretty far south into Dallas, to around the north side of Walnut Hill I think.

Maybe also consider the east side of south Plano, no farther west than maybe Coit & no farther north than Park. Fair Park would just be too far a commute any farther north. Richardson or far north Dallas would be better though.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:22 PM

188 posts, read 230,658 times
Don't forget that there are some great house deals in the Dallas area that also feed Richardson ISD or Plano ISD depending on location. These tend to be closer to Preston Rd and the Tollway... schools would be Brentfiled (RISD) or Rose Hagger (PISD)

Old 06-12-2017, 05:43 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
You have two great choices so I would just buy whatever house/ neighborhood you like the best. And be careful not to search too far north in Plano to keep the Fair Park commute within your desired drive time.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:25 PM

Thank you all for your replies. We put an offer on a home in Canyon Creek in Richardson (Prairie Creek Elementary in RISD) as well as a home in Glenhollow Estates (Barksdale Elementary in PISD). We love both homes. If not considering the commute (there is 20 min difference) or cost of driving in Tollway, which one would you pick? Prairie Creek is a very charming neighborhood with a small 300 kid emementary. Glenhollow home is updated and has everything we want in it. Our offers are competitive for both!
Help me decide please! Tyia!

Old 06-17-2017, 04:27 PM

Correction, there is 10 min each way difference in commute time.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:12 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I'm not familiar with the Plano neighborbood but Canyon Creek is beautiful. I get the sense that when people move there, they stay.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:29 PM

786 posts, read 1,221,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAA View Post
Thank you all for your replies. We put an offer on a home in Canyon Creek in Richardson (Prairie Creek Elementary in RISD) as well as a home in Glenhollow Estates (Barksdale Elementary in PISD). We love both homes. If not considering the commute (there is 20 min difference) or cost of driving in Tollway, which one would you pick? Prairie Creek is a very charming neighborhood with a small 300 kid emementary. Glenhollow home is updated and has everything we want in it. Our offers are competitive for both!
Help me decide please! Tyia!
Go with Prairie Creek - people LOVE that area and ES. RISD elementaries go through 6th grade so the kids are in a small school environment with the same kids throughout that time. It is a very pretty area with the park, and has some variation to the terrain. Considering they are actually starting some tear downs in the Canyon Creek area, I think that's a strong indication it's in demand and values will continue to increase.

Barksdale is fine but Glenhollow just seems like any other suburban subdivision. Prairie Creek would have a less transient population, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: