Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:35 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
No, Boston has a colder climate so the attire is different. It's also more upscale, IMO. Dallas isn't "preppy" per se, it's more accurately described as "formal" IMO. Button up shirts, collar shirts. If people dress down it's usually just an ordinary t-shirt/sweater, khaki shorts/pants or jeans, and a ball cap, nothing really outrageous or that draws attention.

This is more Boston attire:

https://salemnet.vo.llnwd.net/media/...d.1200w.tn.jpg

https://static.pixlee.com/photos/115...dcc498583c.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EEF-OvGiBm...ll%2B(1)-3.jpg
I can assure you everything sold at Brooks Brothers, Vineyard Vines, Nautica and any other such store here is sold (even more) in Boston and New England in general. Thats a style that started there and was transported here.(Actually started in England and was transported to New England but i digress)

Its not unique to Texas or the south.. Only difference is that they probably wear sweaters and coats more. But so do southerners when its cold so...

Also, all of boston is not preppy. A lot of it is blue collar. Real question is (To OP) why do you care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 09:32 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
Real question is (To OP) why do you care?
Probably because he doesn't want to move half way across the country and immediately be visually cast as an outsider and not be able to get an equivalent job as the one he currently has.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:19 AM

136 posts, read 180,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Probably because he doesn't want to move half way across the country and immediately be visually cast as an outsider and not be able to get an equivalent job as the one he currently has.
Yes this is the case. I'm thinking of going to a grad school there. But I am from a part of California where people wear board shorts to high end restaurants.

I just don't think I can dress like this

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/75/75/72/7...eppy-style.jpg

Old 01-26-2018, 11:41 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
No adult should dress like that.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:59 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeWolf View Post
Yes this is the case. I'm thinking of going to a grad school there. But I am from a part of California where people wear board shorts to high end restaurants.

I just don't think I can dress like this

Uptown Dallas/Knox-Henderson/Lower Greenville 'sunday funday' brunch crowd attire in the Spring/Summer. Excellent example.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:01 PM

136 posts, read 180,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No adult should dress like that.
No one out of college does in Dallas? lol

Old 01-26-2018, 01:30 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Uptown Dallas/Knox-Henderson/Lower Greenville 'sunday funday' brunch crowd attire in the Spring/Summer. Excellent example.
One of the good things the northern burbs have over Uptown and Dallas (since a lot of people trash them here) is that I've never seen anyone dressed like that up here. Granted I don't go out for Sunday brunch that much.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Quote:
No one out of college does in Dallas? lol
"Should" not does.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:07 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Lots of people in Dallas have no idea what "board shorts" are. Including me.

And virtually no one in Dallas dresses like this:

I've never seen anything like that at SMU.

But we do have some standards. You can't wear tank tops inside 635.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:55 PM

292 posts, read 245,151 times
OP, there are less tattoos in Dallas than SoCal....although I don't really think it will be a problem.

IF you work in banking, or securities and Trading, then a shirt covering the tattoos in question might be a decent idea, at least till you get the "lay of the land" in your new position.

Just common sense, really.

Houston and Austin would seem to have more tattoos per capital income, me thinks....Houston employment is still oil and gas heavy...and unless your work in the oil field/services part of O+G, or IT, a full sleeve would typically be covered in the white collar professions of the larger companies. The smaller companies make up their own rules.

Medicine is a whole different story, as is practicing Law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas