Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 06:56 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Hello All,

My husband finds out in a week or two if we are moving to Dallas for a potential new job. We are currently living in the Denver area, and I'm hoping that Dallas will be much greener with more trees than the Front Range of Colorado. It's very brown, dry, dusty, and barren here in Denver much of the year, and this is the main thing about it that I don't like. I grew up in Atlanta, and since living in Denver, I've yearned to go back there just for it's beautiful trees, flowers, and plants. I'm hoping Dallas is somewhat similar to Atlanta with greenery. Many of the Dallas yards on Zillow (looking at surrounding suburbs of Dallas) look much prettier than Denver yards, and I'm so excited about this possibility! The housing is certainly much nicer in Dallas.

However, people on forums have said that Dallas has no natural scenic beauty and so I'm wondering if I'm missing something when I see all these pretty properties. What do they mean by this? Do you think this is true? Coming from the Front Range, just having greenery and trees would be beautiful and scenic after a few years in this very brown, dusty, dry place. The mountains in the background are beautiful to look at, but the actual Front Range is quite the opposite to me. Also, it rains so infrequently that it looks kind of dusty, dirty, and grimy to me all of the time in Denver. Does it rain a good bit in Dallas? If so, I'm hoping Dallas is cleaner looking than Denver with more rain and this would qualify as scenic beauty for me.

Also, are people as a whole friendly and warm in Dallas? I've found the people in Denver to be cordial and pleasant enough, but there is also a reservedness and aloofness as well. I would love to get back to a place with more of the warmth, social etiquette, sweetness, and hospitality of some places that I've lived in the South. Hoping Dallas has this as well.

Thanks in advance for any feedback everyone!
Not taking time to read the whole thread but I am an Atlanta native here in Texas for 14 years now. Nothing compares to the overall beauty of an Atlanta in spring IMHO but it is nice here in Texas. You will appreciate it a lot more after being in Denver first than if you came straight here like I did. Dallas is greener by a tad than Fort Worth where I first landed in the late 80s. My roommate at the time had just moved from Eastern New Mexico. He would exclaim at how green it was and be enthralled by all of the gorgeous trees. I would reply, "what trees, these little shrubs? And you call this green?" LOL, one's viewpoint can be colored by what they are used to.

I have learned to appreciate the different greenness of Dallas. The biggest oldest trees are found in the many creek and river bottoms. A lot of this area has been set aside as public greenspace and you can find nice walking trails all over the area in these floodplains. Also, older neighborhoods where the trees have had a chance to mature will feel very densely green. The amount of mature live oaks in these neighborhoods gives a nice shaded feel and a lovely canopy.

It is different from a Georgia canopy but if you learn to look with a slightly different lens, you can learn to appreciate it. I do miss the pines tho. But the nice thing, you drive a couple of hours east to Tyler and other cities in the area, and the topography and vegetation is much, much more like the southeast. Huge pines abound, azaleas thrive. Sometimes I have to find some reason to go to east Texas just so my soul can feel at home.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 07:17 PM

937 posts, read 743,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Not taking time to read the whole thread but I am an Atlanta native here in Texas for 14 years now. Nothing compares to the overall beauty of an Atlanta in spring IMHO but it is nice here in Texas. You will appreciate it a lot more after being in Denver first than if you came straight here like I did. Dallas is greener by a tad than Fort Worth where I first landed in the late 80s. My roommate at the time had just moved from Eastern New Mexico. He would exclaim at how green it was and be enthralled by all of the gorgeous trees. I would reply, "what trees, these little shrubs? And you call this green?" LOL, one's viewpoint can be colored by what they are used to.

I have learned to appreciate the different greenness of Dallas. The biggest oldest trees are found in the many creek and river bottoms. A lot of this area has been set aside as public greenspace and you can find nice walking trails all over the area in these floodplains. Also, older neighborhoods where the trees have had a chance to mature will feel very densely green. The amount of mature live oaks in these neighborhoods gives a nice shaded feel and a lovely canopy.

It is different from a Georgia canopy but if you learn to look with a slightly different lens, you can learn to appreciate it. I do miss the pines tho. But the nice thing, you drive a couple of hours east to Tyler and other cities in the area, and the topography and vegetation is much, much more like the southeast. Huge pines abound, azaleas thrive. Sometimes I have to find some reason to go to east Texas just so my soul can feel at home.
Thank you for this. You said exactly how I feel....my soul wants to feel at home again.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:21 AM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Just wanting to note, there are VERY major few cities in the nation that have the kind of tree cover as Atlanta does.. Atlanta is actually kind of abnormal in this category... What you have in Denver is fairly average throughout most of the country. The only city in this country that tops Atlanta in greenery is Seattle.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Is Dallas green with trees? NO

Are people friendly? NO
There's always one of those.

I just had dinner with a woman who just moved here from Singapore. Her parents were visiting from another country for 2 months (they go back Tuesday).
EVERYONE was remarking at how nice and friendly they have found the people here to be.

It's not scenic here, per se. But if you are in a more established neighborhood, there can be tons of green and big trees. I live by a golf course and near creeks and ponds (and big parks), so it feels more like I have lots of nature around me. And the sunsets...

Old 03-18-2018, 10:37 AM

1,087 posts, read 782,099 times
Here're satellite views of Dallas vs Singapore (known green). You'll be the judge on green enough or not.

Dallas:

Singapore:

Old 03-18-2018, 08:27 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Dallas has a good mix of greenery and open spaces. When I lived in Georgia, I felt claustrophobic there with the towering trees all over the place. It also reduced the "city" feeling in Atlanta until you were right in the center of the city. You don't have that same thing in Dallas.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:57 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
Here're satellite views of Dallas vs Singapore (known green). You'll be the judge on green enough or not.

Dallas:

Singapore:
Well........Singapore is nearly on the equator and is carved out of an ancient rainforest.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I didn't spend a lot of time in Dallas, but I thought people in the Arlington and Fort Worth side of the Metroplex were friendly.

But given the reputation of Dallas, it wouldn't really surprise me if city residents are ruder than residents in other parts of the Metroplex.

Also, you haven't seen rude until you come to Chicago.
I've lived in European cities where people have reputations for being fairly rude. I've spent a significant portion of my adult life in Dallas plus I was born and raised here. This is the rudest city I've ever lived in, hands-down. I made friends in Europe who'd jump the next thing smoking to sit at my side if I needed them to...and I'd do the same for them. Once you make a friend there, you've truly made a friend.

People here aren't so much rude to your face, but I'd almost prefer that over the sickly-sweet fake superficial friendliness that you get from people here. People here are tribal and superficial and if you move into a neighborhood but don't fit the queen bee's mold, you're held at arm's length. Sure, people might wave to you. You might even get invited to a block party or two if the whole street is going. But that's as far as it goes. You are kept out of the circle. They all know each other and are involved in each others' lives, but when you show up at the 4th of July thingummy-whatever, you have to reintroduce yourself to everyone there because nobody remembers you. They'll chat awkwardly for a few minutes, then excuse themselves to go talk to someone else.

If you don't like me and don't want me around, say so. It'd save all of us so much hassle. Likewise it'd save me a lot of hassle if I could just flip you the bird and tell you to eff off. But I can't.

Houses of worship and workplaces are much the same. It's very challenging to make friends here if you don't fit into one of about a dozen specific molds.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:44 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,046,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Just wanting to note, there are VERY major few cities in the nation that have the kind of tree cover as Atlanta does.. Atlanta is actually kind of abnormal in this category... What you have in Denver is fairly average throughout most of the country. The only city in this country that tops Atlanta in greenery is Seattle.
Yeah definitely agree about Atlanta and Seattle. Dallas an interesting place as it kind of serves as a bridge from the southeast to the southwest part of the country, but in terms of tree cover, it's more similar to the southwest cities than the southeast ones imo. Dallas' level of tree cover (not tree type) is more similar to places like Denver, Los Angeles, San Diego, Austin, and San Antonio than it is to places like Birmingham, Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, or New Orleans for example. Most of the metro has more of that wide-open western feel to it than the more canopied southeastern one.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:22 AM

274 posts, read 855,379 times
I think most places are what you make them. I'm from the northeast, where I never felt that people were rude - maybe just desperate for personal space! - but I think Dallas is friendly enough. I moved here a few years ago and haven't had much trouble making friends.

As other posters have said, the older neighborhoods have beautiful tree cover, although it's not the southeast. I have some huge live oaks and pecans in my relatively modest yard, and plenty of shade in the summer, which helps with utility bills! When you're looking for a place to live, definitely look for older neighborhoods to get that tree canopy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas