Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 PM

16 posts, read 84,410 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any clue what percentage homeowners in the DFW metroplex typically spend on new home construction? I'm trying to make sure I don't go overboard with spending. The base price of the house is $218,000. So far, I've added about $24,000 in upgrades. This includes upgraded kitchen cabinets (wood, dovetail construction, sure stop), cabinet molding (I have no clue how to do this), upgraded tile flooring (will do hardwoods throughout after closing), and various electrical plugs (interior/exterior - including one in the soffit), additional gas drops, freezer plug, utility sink, exterior uplights, bay window, sunroom upgrade, oil rubbed bronze hardware (in master only - will do other hardware after closing), shower faucets in both bathrooms, jacuzzi system wiring, kitchen sink and faucet, etc.

Any others I should consider? I'm thinking of prewiring for surround sound as well, but since I'm purchasing a one story it might not be such a priority since I can just drop from my attic.

PLEASE, PLEASE LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS! THANKS! (forgot to add this )

Last edited by Chili Dogs; 03-26-2008 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Typo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 04:00 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,635,464 times
Plan on any flat screen TVs? You can have the outlets and perhaps some Cat-5s placed higher up off the floor. I also like to have them run a gas line to the back yard for a BBQ if that isn't something they do already. Maybe some reinforced ceiling fan boxes in certain rooms wouldn't be a bad idea if they aren't already doing that. Electrical outlets in the roof of the garage for lighting fixtures...geez I could go on but it ain't my money

Old 03-26-2008, 04:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
I'd say for your price point you have hit the high points in upgrades. Any carpeted areas that your going to keep carpet I would get the BEST quality pad available and then you can go a mid-grade on the carpet. Cheapest carpet and pad does not bode well at all.

Items that you can do yourself in a QUALITY way so as not to scream "DYI" and would cost less for you to do after closing w/ a better grade & quality are worth considering. Sprinkler system is one item that it might be cheaper for the builder to do. Surround sound and plenty of cable/phone jacks are something that can be done by the DYI type person but if the builder gives a fair and reasonable price I'd take it (put an outlet for surround sound on the rear patio). Light fixtures from the builder in some price points are not always the best deals and may scream "BUILDER GRADE" even IF it was a $$$ upgrade. Watch sales there and you can get some killer deals on much better fixtures if your handy at that. Ceiling fans in all rooms are pretty much standard as well. If you don't buy the builders fan/light package for the secondary bedrooms make sure it is wired for it.

While it may cost more upfront to do these upgrades when you do decide to sell your house it will go far quicker and for a higher price than homes that don't have them. You may not recoup every penny but your not going to lose sleep over trying to market a house that has zilch for upgrades.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:06 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Have the builder do the things that you can't easily can't do yourself like running additional outlets, gas line for BBQ etc. Things like ceiling fans and light fixtures can be done by yourself much cheaper than a builder will charge you. I personally would do the cosmetic things myself and have the builder do the other things.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:14 PM

I'm new at this, so sorry if I didn't include everything. Yes, they are running a gas line in the back for the bar-b-que. I've also asked them to include an electrical outlet (220? I think its called) in the back for a future hot tub. I've had them put the cheapest carpet pad and carpet, because I'll place hardwood throughout the home, except for the wet areas (where I've upgraded the tile) and sunroom. I believe they are just going to lay the carpet down and not (nail?) it, for easier installation. I've also asked that they raise the floorboards so that it will accommodate engineered hardwood floors.

I've asked for outlets higher up for places where I want flat screens. I just had a conversation about the Cat5 with the sales consultant. Surround sound for the patio is an EXCELLENT idea! Thanks.

Yes, I've asked for several rooms to have ceiling fans (4 rooms are standard). However, I asked them not to install the ceiling fans, thinking I'd go to home depot or lowes later. They gave me credit for those. And they are putting in the basic light fixtures. I figure I'll go out afterwards and upgrade those.

Maybe I'm paranoid. But I'm a first time home buyer, single female, and attempting to build a house. GEESH! I'm also thinking of hiring an inspector to inspect the house before the foundation is poured, pre drywall, and then before I close. That's going to cost me about $1K for all 3 inspections with the one guy I called. I'm not familiar with any other private inspectors? I'm building south of downtown dallas.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:22 PM

Da Jammer

Thanks. I'll have to look into the lighting fixtures in the garage. I have no clue what's out there. I just assumed there would be some type of lighting since its a finished garage with one outlet. (I've added an outlet for a freezer and utility sink rough in to the garage.) I'll likely add 1-2 more interior outlets to the garage for power tools I guess and then ask them about the lighting. I love city-data. This is awesome!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:30 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
The city and pressure test and inspects the foundation before the pour. The electricals are inspected before the sheetrock goes up and you and the builder will do a final walk thru before closing. The crucial time to check everything out is once the framing is done IMHO. I wish I would have thought things out like you when I built my house. You are certainly going about it the right way.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:35 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,635,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Dogs View Post
Da Jammer

Thanks. I'll have to look into the lighting fixtures in the garage. I have no clue what's out there. I just assumed there would be some type of lighting since its a finished garage with one outlet. (I've added an outlet for a freezer and utility sink rough in to the garage.) I'll likely add 1-2 more interior outlets to the garage for power tools I guess and then ask them about the lighting. I love city-data. This is awesome!
Well often they will just put a light bulb or two in the garage. I was thinking perhaps a couple of outlets (with wall switches) up in the ceiling so you can just hang some shop lights and plug them right in. As far as the ceiling fans, no don't have them install the fans just the reinforced boxes. You cannot hang a ceiling fan off of a light fixture they usually put up in the middle of the rooms (if they even do that). Sorry I'm not from the Dallas area and every part of the country things are done differently so I'm just tossing the little stuff out there. My son just built a house down in Houston and we went through all of this stuff about a year ago. Fun times indeed.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:48 AM

70 posts, read 315,067 times
1>Fan Prewiring: it gets hot in the summer. As one poster said, this i not hard for you to do later, but its less messy. You will have to either access the studs thru the attic or cut through dry wall and then patch it up and dry wall patching - you can tell the difference between a job someone who knows what they r doing did versus a novice.
2>Any structural additions like rooms/patio extensions (except pools): lot less hassle and less messy to get done earlier. PLus u wont be at the mercy of your home association.
3>energy efficiency improvements: radient barrier on the ceiling rafters: easier before you put down the roof and will cost less - if not already offered. windows: what would it cost to upgrade to low e windows? the upgrade charge will probably be less than the cost of replacing all the windows at a later date. Upgrading to IC rated recessed lighting from non-IC rated recessed lighting is another area depending on how much it will cost you.
4>extra outlets & surround sound prewiring if interested: definitely have them put in the outlets all over the place - you always end up needing more. Particularly if you need one in the floor, this cannot be done afterwards.Surround sound prewire: take a look and see if the roof is easily accessible to the room. If it isnt, have them do this. THis is not a bank breaker - should be cheap.
5> lighting: the cost of adding an outlets with David Weekley when we built our home was roughly $60 an outlet if i remember right and the cost to upgrade a bulb to a 4' florescent was $80. Guess which option i chose for the garage ceiling?
6> Plumbing: If you are interested in putting in a water softener to your house later, have the builders put in a loop for the softener in the garage for you. Without the loop and a drain you will be unable to install the softener without spending an arm and a leg for the install later on. Gas line to the back as people have suggested as well, but u already have that.
4>Phone lines & Cable Lines: have them drop the additional lines wherever u need while the home is built. U will be thankful you did. Have them take an additional line or two from the outside to the attic, assuming the home runs are from the attic. Tis allows you the flexibility to have both cable and satellite (for internet & tv) and separating phone lines in the future if required.
5> door from inside garage to backyard if you have a front entry garage: much cheaper having them do it and easily one of the most useful additions to a house i can think of. Also have them put a gate on both sides of the house to the backyard instead of just one side.
The obvious caveat to the list above is if they charge you ridiculous prices then ofcourse have it done later. Also, I am sure you ahve a budget as well so u might have to pick and choose.
good luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:49 AM

Thanks Harishv. My builder is also DW. I've been considering that inside door from the garage to the backyard. My garage is at the back of the house. I'll ask about the rest of your suggestions and include them if my budget allows. I'm on a corner lot, so I'll probably forego the 2nd gate entrance on the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: