Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 AM

16 posts, read 84,400 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to plan the order of renovations on my new construction 1-story home after closing. You all have become my trusted source - and secret weapon - during this entire homebuilding process. Below are the task items that I will complete prior to moving into the house. (I have about 2 months between closing and end of lease on my apartment.) I know the drapes should be the last thing I focus on (especially since I've paid the builder to install blinds throughout the house), however I'm not sure what would be the best order for the remaining task items. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Paint various rooms throughout the house.
2. Install hardwood floors
3. Install custom drapes
4. Install various ceiling fans and lighting fixtures (indoors and outdoors)
5. Install various custom doors on the interior of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 12:32 PM

212 posts, read 1,154,098 times
I think it's easiest to paint first since that can be such a pain in the neck (ditto for the floors) and there's always the chance of a mess with paint, so better to do it before the floors. I'd do the floors next after the paint.
Basically, do the most labor intensive stuff first. You probably don't want to move in with your furniture, and then have to work around that. If you can do the paint and floors before you even put anything in the house, that would be the best.
drapes, doors and fixtures don't take a whole lot of effort and you can do them at any time after you're settled in.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
1. Paint various rooms throughout the house.
2. Install hardwood floors
3. Install custom drapes
4. Install various ceiling fans and lighting fixtures (indoors and outdoors)
5. Install various custom doors on the interior of the house.

Here is how I would do it:

1. Doors. ONLY if you are also changing out the trimwork. You want any and all trim work that effects the walls to be done before you paint them. If not then do this after paint and flooring if all your doing is taking one door off the hinges and adding a different door.

2. Paint. Get the messy part done and over w/ before adding anything else and being afraid to mess something up.

3. Floors. Easier to do w/o having furniture in the way.

4. Lighting and ceiling fans. Now, on this one I MIGHT add the ceiling fans BEFORE I did any of the other work ONLY because it gives you some air movement while your working on the paint and floors. Helps keep the house cooler as well as yourself while in it working since you are not going to be running the a/c while painting and laying wood floors always. Otherwise, light fixtures can be a quick weekend job once you move in as long as your not talking a huge chandelier w/ a dining room table in the way.

5. Custom drapes. Again, an easy weekend or evening job once moved in.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:23 PM

16 posts, read 84,400 times
Cool Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I know its not rocket science, but sometimes hearing other people's opinion makes all the difference.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:48 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Best thing I believe you can do is plant several very nice trees. A good oak tree or 2, watered and fertized will grow fairly quickly and add tons of value down the road.

With new construction, don't forget to get a good home inspector to do an inspection right before you do your 1st walk through with the builder.

It's worth every dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas