Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 07:48 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronkforlife View Post
Thanks...I guess I'll focus on Lucas, Parker, and Arlington. Not sure what the plan is yet regarding public vs private. Don't mind private if the other boxes are checked. You can't have everything and need to compromise in order to satisfy your most important criteria.
Where is your job? Lucas/Parker and Arlington are verrrry far apart.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of the gated communities around where I live are frequently open during business hours. I'm not sure if that will bother you or not, but it sort of defeats the purpose of living in a gated community.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:10 PM

139 posts, read 171,618 times
I was talking to an HOA officer about gated communities. He said that they were pretty pointless because within a year, all the delivery people know and share the codes to get in.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:33 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
I think others have failed his wants too, I don’t think they used the word restriction, but I stated the info may be good for others who may know have the same “restriction”.

Celebs who have discovered Cedar Hill.

Lake Ridge connects with celebrities looking for the best in DFW living | Lake Ridge

Quote:
Texas Rangers executives Jay Miller and Jamie Reed and former Dallas Cowboys linebacker Dexter Coakley are just a few of the famous sports-related names who are land owners and residents of DFW’s favorite lake community. Several famous DFW weathermen also call Lake Ridge home: WFAA meteorologist Greg Fields, NBC5 meteorologist David Finfrock and recently retired FOX 4 meteorologist Ron Jackson all own property and live in the community.

"Celebs."

I've only heard of David Finfrock...because what 80s Dallas kid HASN'T?

Old 05-07-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I would think places like Lucas, Parker and Fairview have minimum acre lots and Lovejoy is considered to be a good school district. All relatively close to shopping and things to do in Plano and Allen (but not city of Dallas or the airports). Now an acre would go for at least half a million I’m guessing so it’s going to depend on budget and commute
Lucas/Parker/Fairview land prices are more like $150-$200K per acre these days.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:34 AM

294 posts, read 292,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyg View Post
I was talking to an HOA officer about gated communities. He said that they were pretty pointless because within a year, all the delivery people know and share the codes to get in.
It depends on what your point is in living in a gated community. We recently sold a house in a gated community (in adjoining county to Houston). When we bought it was really coincidental that it was a gated community. That is, we didn't set out to live in one but were willing.

It is true that it is pretty easy to get into a gated community. Not just delivery people having codes but just waiting until a resident drives in and following in. So, I never felt that the gates kept anyone from really getting in if they wanted to get in. I don't think it eliminates crime in the sense of keeping out people who would be intentional criminals. Those people can get in.

That said -- it really was pretty safe when we were there. But, that wasn't the draw of the gated community really. What I liked about it was that we had almost no traffic. There was a front gate and a back gate but it was tedious enough to get in that people didn't really cut through the subdivision. Basically no one really came in who didn't have a reason to specifically be there. So, low traffic which was nice. DH and I used to walk through the neighborhood and we liked the lack of traffic. Also we had a lot of deer and rabbits and I think that was enhanced by having low traffic.

The other thing I would point out was both a plus and a huge minus. The roads were private so most traffic laws didn't apply. You didn't have to worry about getting a speeding ticket (of course to keep traffic down the subdivision put in speed bumps and people actually drove slower usually than on public roads).

The negative was that you had underage people driving in the subdivision at times. Some of the younger drivers didn't drive in the safest way and it could be very annoying. I really hated that part of the gated community. I didn't allow my kids to do anything driving wise in the subdivision that they couldn't do on public roads. But, not all parents felt that way. Whether you consider the traffic laws thing a plus or minus may be a major factor in whether you like a gated subdivision.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post
But, that wasn't the draw of the gated community really. What I liked about it was that we had almost no traffic. There was a front gate and a back gate but it was tedious enough to get in that people didn't really cut through the subdivision. Basically no one really came in who didn't have a reason to specifically be there. So, low traffic which was nice. DH and I used to walk through the neighborhood and we liked the lack of traffic. Also we had a lot of deer and rabbits and I think that was enhanced by having low traffic.
First, very good post.

If the OP is serious about Lucas and Parker, drive through traffic isn't generally an issue because there is no cut-thru path using neighborhood roads in most cases.

Rabbits are everywhere these days. I saw just as many in Plano with tons of cut thru traffic as I do out in a more rural area. The only difference is the amount of roadkill rabbits.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:21 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,343,862 times
I lived in a guard-gated community in Las Colinas for 10 years. We only had 3 property invasions in that community in the entire decade, and the suspicion was teenagers’ friends who were in the community with permission. Around us in the neighborhoods that weren’t gated there were at least 2 breakins a month. Children freely rode bikes and played on the streets. I think its a hassle, living in a guard gated community and having to advise the front gate whenever you are expecting visitors. But it does also provide an extra level of security.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:24 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
Ive lived in DFW for most of my life, and I’ve never lived in a gated community. I’ve never seen the need for it. The only time I’ve ever been the victim of a crime was when our cars were broken into at a bar in lower Greenville and Deep Ellum.
We have an alarm system on our house, but the only thing it’s ever gone off for were false alarms caused by our cats!

Old 05-09-2018, 07:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Ive lived in DFW for most of my life, and I’ve never lived in a gated community. I’ve never seen the need for it. The only time I’ve ever been the victim of a crime was when our cars were broken into at a bar in lower Greenville and Deep Ellum.
We have an alarm system on our house, but the only thing it’s ever gone off for were false alarms caused by our cats!
The overwhelming majority of alarm calls are false alarms...upwards of 97-98%. Alarm companies know that and plan for it and some are trying to move to automated or text-based responses instead of having a live agent start calling people on a contact list.

I see no reason for a gated community because everyone has the gate codes anyway...UPS, pizza guy, Chinese food delivery guy, etc. All they are is a pain in the butt because the HOA has to pay for the upkeep and those wrought iron gates have a tendency to slip off the track (if they slide) or the motors break (if they're swing-arm), requiring pricey repairs each time and leaving the gates inoperable, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't started building stone wall fortifications with a moat and a portcullis operated by full-time staff.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:36 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The overwhelming majority of alarm calls are false alarms...upwards of 97-98%. Alarm companies know that and plan for it and some are trying to move to automated or text-based responses instead of having a live agent start calling people on a contact list.

I see no reason for a gated community because everyone has the gate codes anyway...UPS, pizza guy, Chinese food delivery guy, etc. All they are is a pain in the butt because the HOA has to pay for the upkeep and those wrought iron gates have a tendency to slip off the track (if they slide) or the motors break (if they're swing-arm), requiring pricey repairs each time and leaving the gates inoperable, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't started building stone wall fortifications with a moat and a portcullis operated by full-time staff.
Doesn't the HOA also have to maintain the roads if it is a gated community? I thought I read that somewhere. I thought that was the case with Starwood, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas