Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:43 PM

123 posts, read 747,713 times

Advertisements

Here in Ohio, in addition to the usual taxes ( state income tax, property tax, sales tax, gas tax, etc etc ) I have to pay several local taxes.

I also have to cover city income tax in the city I work in, city income tax in the city I live in, and city school tax.

These three infuriate me as our local govt and school systems are a mess. ( sending the marching band to perform in Europe on my dollar while the school district has a 50% graduation rate, for example)

The teachers union puts in for a levy here for a rate hike on the school tax every year. If it fails, they punish the voters for not giving them their raise by raising the cost of extra curricular activities, i.e. $500+ if your son wants to play football.

Are there any decent suburbs of Dallas that don't have city income tax or school tax? Preferably in the north, north-east of Dallas ( this seems to be a good area from what I've read on here ).

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 03:11 PM

110 posts, read 379,354 times
Hi neighbor!!! We are moving to DFW area from OH and my tax guy told me there are no state taxes or city taxes, as far as he knows. Not sure on school taxes, but I'm sure someone will be able to tell us both more about it.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:52 PM

473 posts, read 1,568,726 times
No state income tax in Texas and I can't think of any city income taxes anywhere, but beware, the property tax rate is insane and offsets the no state income tax.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:19 PM

583 posts, read 2,634,126 times
Normally the marching bands parents have to PAY to send their kids on those type of trips. I have NEVER seen a school underwrite such a huge cost.

But your question was about taxes ........................

Typical property tax is between 2.4%-2.9% on 90% of house value

So you would be paying into the public schools which is bringing up your future doctors, police officers, city officals, bankers, etc.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:37 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
No state income tax in Texas and I can't think of any city income taxes anywhere, but beware, the property tax rate is insane and offsets the no state income tax.
Moving from Virginia where there was a reasonably low income tax rate as well as a reasonably low property tax rate (.9% where I lived), I find that we pay less tax here. Sure we could have sold our $600k home in VA and bought a $600k home here and wound up paying more in taxes... but instead we were able to buy a $300k home that was just as nice as the $600k home in VA.

Now when I got a raise at work, and when my wife moves into management, we weren't/won't be punished by the state of Texas for our achievements. We will be taxed at right around the same level as when we first moved here. You choose how much taxes you are willing to pay by the value of the home that you select.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:41 PM

473 posts, read 1,568,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Moving from Virginia where there was a reasonably low income tax rate as well as a reasonably low property tax rate (.9% where I lived), I find that we pay less tax here. Sure we could have sold our $600k home in VA and bought a $600k home here and wound up paying more in taxes... but instead we were able to buy a $300k home that was just as nice as the $600k home in VA.

Now when I got a raise at work, and when my wife moves into management, we weren't/won't be punished by the state of Texas for our achievements. We will be taxed at right around the same level as when we first moved here. You choose how much taxes you are willing to pay by the value of the home that you select.
Good point, but many people don't do that. They purchase at and above their income levels and end up paying similar taxes to where they moved from.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:54 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
Yes, we pay city taxes here in Texas. The ONLY homeowners/landowners that DO NOT pay a "city tax" live in an unincorporated area. If you life IN the city limits of any city/town you WILL be paying city taxes. For Dallas County residents here is the rundown and you can check it out at Dallas Central Appraisal District

City Tax
County Tax
School District Tax
Public Hospital Tax
Dallas County Community College District Tax

These are ALL paid thru your property taxes. If you find a house for sale you like you can look up the taxes paid on it BEFORE you buy. It also pays to look at the history of it and see if they are going up, down, steady, etc. Since property tax rates did go down in the state a LITTLE BIT some appraisal districts RAISED the taxable values. One thing here is you CAN protest your property taxes on your Taxable Market Value by providing comps that are in line with your house.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:23 AM

123 posts, read 747,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyogi View Post
So you would be paying into the public schools which is bringing up your future doctors, police officers, city officals, bankers, etc.
Across the board, the government schools are mostly bringing up illiterates and Wal-Mart greeters. Private and home schooled students are our future.

Our property tax rate is 2.08% on 100% of house value, so the Dallas area won't be much different. I just won't have to file all the additional city income taxes. Sounds good.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:20 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterscot View Post
Across the board, the government schools are mostly bringing up illiterates and Wal-Mart greeters. Private and home schooled students are our future.
I don't know what you are used to, but there are many many excellent public schools in the DFW area.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:45 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I don't know what you are used to, but there are many many excellent public schools in the DFW area.
I AGREE!!!!! I know MANY public school graduates from around here that are doing VERY WELL in some of the more prestige universities and go onto great careers.

My daughters MIDDLE SCHOOL competes against high school robotics teams across the country and WINS! We have some VERY BRIGHT students around here that can thrive in the public schools.

There ARE private schools and home schoolers that have turned out kids that end up in prison, drop out of college, can't cope w/ real life and end up living w/ mom & dad as grown adults. They are not immune to failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: