Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2019, 06:24 PM

207 posts, read 207,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
No that survey shows that most millennial are freaking idiots. 30% didn’t even visit the neighborhood where they bought a house? And most didn’t budget for repairs and maintenance??
Its a new trend.

1. Anybody thought opening bank account from home 20 years ago?
2. Anybody thought buying cars online without test drive couple of years ago?

Earlier we used to buy stocks at trading floor. Now we are buying online.

I know some friends who buy apartments online in another country.

Whether its good or bad, things r not same always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 08:35 AM

213 posts, read 183,664 times
That's a poor comparison, banks and stocks with housing. You can do all assessment of stocks and banks online - won't help you to visit a BofA location if you want to vet the bank. And when buying stocks - no difference online or "on the floor", just a transaction that's happening.

Housing quality is only checked by visiting, at least as long as the law does not require a qualified 3rd party assessment when welling. And the neighborhood you have to visit - Google Maps can only you take you so far.

We're moving to Dallas in a few weeks, and will be renting first for that reason. Have to live there and check out neighborhoods the coming year to understand what it means to live there. Especially when you have kids.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:40 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,395,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
No that survey shows that most millennial are freaking idiots. 30% didn’t even visit the neighborhood where they bought a house?
30% did.

70% didn't.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:27 PM

631 posts, read 887,041 times
The article is saying 70% of millennials bought their houses sight unseen? I really doubt that's true.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:28 PM

989 posts, read 2,444,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
The article is saying 70% of millennials bought their houses sight unseen? I really doubt that's true.
Right? Sounds like bull$*& to me.

Or maybe they mean 70% didn't visit the "neighborhood" before buying. Whatever that means.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:55 PM

3,848 posts, read 4,453,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post

Or maybe they mean 70% didn't visit the "neighborhood" before buying. Whatever that means.
That’s amazing to me
When we bought our house in 2012, we were so nervous and paranoid that we must have driven through a dozen times at different times of the day just to verify we weren’t making a mistake. I’m sure the neighbors must have thought we were casing the joint lol
Point being this is the biggest and most important purchase you will ever make. Making the wrong decision can be life changing. How could you feel comfortable buying it sight unseen???
Oh well, to each their own

Old 03-03-2019, 11:46 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,395,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post

I suppose it means they didn't visit the neighborhood before they started looking online for houses in that neighborhood. Surely they would have eventually gotten around to an actual visit before buying, although I do have a client who bought a 15-floor office tower sight unseen.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:14 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,560,779 times
I know that I’m super sensitive to not only to the usual noise and neighborhood traffic, but also to things such as how many cars park on the street (especially if they’re parked on the wrong side!). I also notice if people have pets outside for long periods of time. I think it’s a good indicator on how good of neighbors they’ll be. If they insist on having pets and just let them outside roam around or bark all day, then you can bet they’re not going to be dependable or vigilant.

I’m towards the beginning of the Millenial gen, and I would NEVER buy a house totally online and without checking the neighborhood twenty times at different times of the day. None of my coworkers or friends who are my age or younger have bought a house without extensive research.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:35 AM

213 posts, read 183,664 times
But in their defense, in a hot real estate market you do have less time and opportunity to be as thorough. If houses are bought fast and above asking, then people might fear they're missing the boat when they see a house they like. Easier if you have narrowed down the area you want to live in and just wait for houses to come on market, but for many moving between cities the potential area they're looking in can be massive. And additionally, if you live somewhere else you have no option to look at neighborhoods 20 times.

We're moving like that now and will rent first for that reason. We did however consider buying straight away, but that would be way to risky for our liking.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:46 PM

472 posts, read 433,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
Still didn't get it
Don't refer to California as "Cali".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas