Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2019, 05:18 AM

456 posts, read 240,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Ranches are actually a distinct architectural style. They might be ubiquitous in Texas, and they may have their critics, but they are a legitimate architectural style. McMansions make no effort to exhibit any sort of architectural style or combination of styles. It's not unusual to see a McMansion that will have pseudo timbers like a tudor, turrets like a castle (or god knows what), trim like a Fraftsman and roof gables like a Greek Revival....all on the same house. That's not even mentioning their fourteen different exterior materials, total lack of proportions, inconsistent window choices, etc. It is obvious that the "designer" knew little about design.

The idea that McMansions are somehow the ugly but practical choice is even sillier. A 5,000 square foot house is never the practical choice unless one has ten kids. Its costs more to heat and cool (particularly with the dozens of cheap windows most McMansions have), costs more to build, shrinks the lot and almost certainly doesn't help family dynamics.

That 3500 square foot house you mentioned doesn't have to be a McMansion. The person could actually utilize a real architect and construct something that looks good. If you are going to demolish an old house and build something that is twice the size of surrounding houses (which is really a separate issue), at least make it look good. I don't think it has to match the architectural style of the neighborhood, but it should have some architectural value. I don't think that's asking too much.
Please people let me know what my criteria should be for the house I want to live in. A whole lot of posters sure want to decide what and how others should live. Personally, buy or build any house you want on any lot you want since you are paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 08:27 AM

631 posts, read 885,341 times
Quote:
Ranches are actually a distinct architectural style. They might be ubiquitous in Texas, and they may have their critics, but they are a legitimate architectural style. McMansions make no effort to exhibit any sort of architectural style or combination of styles. It's not unusual to see a McMansion that will have pseudo timbers like a tudor, turrets like a castle (or god knows what), trim like a Fraftsman and roof gables like a Greek Revival....all on the same house. That's not even mentioning their fourteen different exterior materials, total lack of proportions, inconsistent window choices, etc. It is obvious that the "designer" knew little about design.

The idea that McMansions are somehow the ugly but practical choice is even sillier. A 5,000 square foot house is never the practical choice unless one has ten kids. Its costs more to heat and cool (particularly with the dozens of cheap windows most McMansions have), costs more to build, shrinks the lot and almost certainly doesn't help family dynamics.

That 3500 square foot house you mentioned doesn't have to be a McMansion. The person could actually utilize a real architect and construct something that looks good. If you are going to demolish an old house and build something that is twice the size of surrounding houses (which is really a separate issue), at least make it look good. I don't think it has to match the architectural style of the neighborhood, but it should have some architectural value. I don't think that's asking too much.
I agree with you about the turrets, mixed facades, unnecessarily complex rooflines, etc. Just give me a red brick house, or even a white cube.

Not every new build is a "McMansion" though.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:22 AM

565 posts, read 558,983 times
Quote:

Agreed. Love when a family of 4 is ranting about house effiencey when there paying inflated property taxes and inflated utilities on a 4000+ sq ft house...... (lol).

I agree with the last part. The problem I'm seeing is 60s neighbhorhoods that have true high-end ranch style houses (2900+ sq feet on .3 to .4 acre lots) there's barely any tear downs. The neighbhorhood behind Jesuit high school and the adject neighborhood across the tollroad (melshire estates) very few tear downs but the lots are huge and the houses are all 60s.

The problem is there going to neighbhorhoods like heights and canyon creek elementary which is all smaller one stories and demolishing those because the lots are cheaper. They want a big shot house but don't want to pay for big shot neighbhorhood. My parents neighbhorhood there's literally a 4000 square foot house built on the same street that literally does not have a house over 1300 square feet..... (lol).

It's strange because usually inner cities get run down and force everyone out due to run down houses and crime (desire is low). In our area there building McMansions in small house neighbhors and are basically pricing middle class people out of inner city (they want to live in the inner city but can't do to artifical inflation)

Last edited by mastershake575; 12-20-2019 at 11:01 AM..

Old 12-20-2019, 07:37 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post

I agree with the last part. The problem I'm seeing is 60s neighbhorhoods that have true high-end ranch style houses (2900+ sq feet on .3 to .4 acre lots) there's barely any tear downs. The neighbhorhood behind Jesuit high school and the adject neighborhood across the tollroad (melshire estates) very few tear downs but the lots are huge and the houses are all 60s.

Although the neighborhood is awesome generally, I have three friends who live thereabouts, the ranch homes behind (west of) JCP are not high end in any way. And just south of there - there is a good bit of teardown activity.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Although the neighborhood is awesome generally, I have three friends who live thereabouts, the ranch homes behind (west of) JCP are not high end in any way
For there era (60s), yes there highend ranch style houses (2900-4000 square feet houses on .3 to .5 acre where highend in 1960).

Old 12-20-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
For there era (60s), yes there highend ranch style houses (2900-4000 square feet houses on .3 to .5 acre where highend in 1960).
Just down the street and from the same era.....bigger, nicer, much bigger lots. FWIIW the lots you are talking about are mostly .25/.30/.35.

Just Google map that area and Inwood and Royal or say Welch and Royal.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:34 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolanders View Post
Please people let me know what my criteria should be for the house I want to live in. A whole lot of posters sure want to decide what and how others should live. Personally, buy or build any house you want on any lot you want since you are paying for it.
No one is trying to decide anything for anyone else. We are just commenting on the poor taste we see being exhibited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post

Not every new build is a "McMansion" though.
Of course not. That's why I said the 3500 square foot house doesn't need to be a McMansion. There's a lot of good design out there from modern (current) architects.

Old 12-21-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
FWIIW the lots you are talking about are mostly .25/.30/.35
All 8 houses currently for sale in the melshire estates are .37 acres to .48 acres. Even the small 2200 square foot house for sale is on almost .4 acres and isn't even a corner lot ! (it's a pretty house)

Quote:
Just down the street and from the same era.....bigger, nicer, much bigger lots. FWIIW the lots you are talking about are mostly .25/.30/.35
The area i'm describing has been a top 8% income neighbhorhood since the 60s.

Even today the houses i'm referring to go anywhere from 10 to 15 times the median household income....... (yeah that's upper class/highend).

Quote:
Just Google map that area and Inwood and Royal or say Welch and Royal.
At that point your basically just arguing semantics. Your basically saying anything not in the 1% isn't highend or high tier

That's like me saying i'm not upper class or highend because I make $250k a year but the guy a few streets down makes $800k.

Reality is where both in the top 5% (he's not the basis of upper class).

Last edited by mastershake575; 12-21-2019 at 12:44 PM..

Old 12-21-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
All 8 houses currently for sale in the melshire estates are .37 acres to .48 acres. Even the small 2200 square foot house for sale is on almost .4 acres and isn't even a corner lot ! (it's a pretty house)

The area i'm describing has been a top 8% income neighbhorhood since the 60s.

Even today the houses i'm referring to go anywhere from 10 to 15 times the median household income....... (yeah that's upper class/highend).

At that point your basically just arguing semantics. Your basically saying anything not in the 1% isn't highend or high tier

That's like me saying i'm not upper class or highend because I make $250k a year but the guy a few streets down makes $800k.

Reality is where both in the top 5% (he's not the basis of upper class).
Melshire Estates and the neighborhood behind JCP are two different places.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Melshire Estates and the neighborhood behind JCP are two different places.
Yes and No.

There technically different names (melshire estates, hyde park estates, and forestcrest) but time era, school feeder, house size, and price are all nearly identical (2800-4000 sq feet 1 story ranch houses in the $600-900k range). Both neighbhorhoods have been upper class houses and upper class income since inception
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas