Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:56 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Gawd that's astonishingly ignorant. By the late 1800s Dallas was a thriving cotton, wool, beef etc. and a little later oil trading and rail center. Somewhere there's a pic of DTD in about 1910 that is utterly sweet.

Found it........zoom and scroll on the pic.
https://www.loc.gov/resource/pan.6a10356/

I don't think you read my paragraph correctly. When I said "it has no reason to exist", I meant that just about every major city in the country (and world) is near a major river or ocean. Nowadays, being near large bodies of water is less important with airplanes but this was not always true. John Neely Bryan could have stayed on his horse and traveled another 100 miles west and called that particular spot "Dallas." Sure there'd be topographical differences, but the challenges would have been quite similar. Houston, for example would be a very different city with a vastly different history if what we now know as say, "Weatherford" was actually called "Houston" and the city currently known as "Houston" was called Weatherford.

Houston's early growth was attributed in large part to it's location. Dallas' location was never it's original top attribute (though that is less true now being a centrally located megapolis).

Our city thrived as a landlocked powerhouse....not really common with most major cities that are 100+ years old.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:23 PM

3,169 posts, read 2,057,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
My opinion is always that Dallas is a great city if you don't necessarily identify as a "black professional" like the girl in the video whose opinion I honestly don't value all that much. I'm not from DFW but I know people up there are cool and Houston is barely blacker.

She claims she did not see a lot of black people in Dallas which is proof that she is not familiar with the entire city which is most likely the case for the naysayers in this thread.
In other words, if you dont care about seeing a large professional black middle class relative to the other cities in this conversation like Atlanta and Houston.

There are indeed plenty of black people in Dallas no doubt. But the opportunities for professional advancement, as well as the quality of the black social scene isn't quite the same, though it's far from bad compared to most of the country. It's not quite Houston or Atlanta for most of us, and that's OK.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:09 PM

1,168 posts, read 778,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
In other words, if you dont care about seeing a large professional black middle class relative to the other cities in this conversation like Atlanta and Houston.

There are indeed plenty of black people in Dallas no doubt. But the opportunities for professional advancement, as well as the quality of the black social scene isn't quite the same, though it's far from bad compared to most of the country. It's not quite Houston or Atlanta for most of us, and that's OK.
Having lived in Atlanta, I honestly cannot understand why people keep insisting that Houston deserves to be mentioned alongside it in terms of offerings. DC and Atlanta are top tier with both Texas cities below them.

Dallas has a large black middle class with its fair share of professionals. Why do people keep suggesting otherwise?

The only points being made I agree with is that blacks in Houston are more integrated and there's more of a black yuppie social scene there.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:31 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,458,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

Its only ok if you can literally point out the advantages that Houston and Atlanta have over Dallas......

No one can ever point it out!!!!!!!

All people say is Houston offer more for blacks and can never REVEAL what they offer!!

all I got was T.S.U and P.V.....which is really not an Advantage....but ok.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:20 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,846,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Having lived in Atlanta, I honestly cannot understand why people keep insisting that Houston deserves to be mentioned alongside it in terms of offerings. DC and Atlanta are top tier with both Texas cities below them.

Dallas has a large black middle class with its fair share of professionals. Why do people keep suggesting otherwise?

The only points being made I agree with is that blacks in Houston are more integrated and there's more of a black yuppie social scene there.
I agree and you pretty much have summed up what I’ve been expressing for years regarding this subject. It’s just plain stupid to act as if DFW doesn’t have its fair share of black professionals. Hell many of us post on this forum. Generally speaking we are not snobby to the point that we need to have our own clubs, section of town, and own scene away from nondegreed black folks. It’s extremely normal here for a black engineer professional to live side by side with a blue collar worker that makes really good money working for GM.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:37 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,792,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Its only ok if you can literally point out the advantages that Houston and Atlanta have over Dallas......

No one can ever point it out!!!!!!!

All people say is Houston offer more for blacks and can never REVEAL what they offer!!

all I got was T.S.U and P.V.....which is really not an Advantage....but ok.
If you don’t know by now, then that’s your fault, bro.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:05 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I agree and you pretty much have summed up what I’ve been expressing for years regarding this subject. It’s just plain stupid to act as if DFW doesn’t have its fair share of black professionals. Hell many of us post on this forum. Generally speaking we are not snobby to the point that we need to have our own clubs, section of town, and own scene away from nondegreed black folks. It’s extremely normal here for a black engineer professional to live side by side with a blue collar worker that makes really good money working for GM.
That's really what it's about.

Bougie blacks don't really have enclaves in DFW the way they do in DC, Atlanta etc. Here, blacks can live in racially diverse middle class neighborhoods with white collar, blue collar and self-employed folks.......or live in ritzier neighborhoods with people that may be their peers but are mostly white (possibly east/south Asian).

Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
If you don’t know by now, then that’s your fault, bro.
My fault?!?.........Since its such a no-brainer it should be more obvious.......but its not.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:18 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,393,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
That's really what it's about.

Bougie blacks don't really have enclaves in DFW the way they do in DC, Atlanta etc. Here, blacks can live in racially diverse middle class neighborhoods with white collar, blue collar and self-employed folks.......or live in ritzier neighborhoods with people that may be their peers but are mostly white (possibly east/south Asian).
I can agree on this. The numbers itself suggest that Dallas and Houston are pretty similar population wise in the number of blacks (over a million), it's the social setup and the distribution that differ significantly between Dallas and Houston. Atlanta and the DMV are just on a different level statistically in the number and percentage of blacks in the population than most other cities in the country. Atlanta has over 2 million black people and is surrounded by states and cities with large black communities. Between DC and Baltimore there are also over 2 million. Dallas has more blacks than most other major cities, it just feels like less than it really is for reasons that have been already discussed on here.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I can agree on this. The numbers itself suggest that Dallas and Houston are pretty similar population wise in the number of blacks (over a million), it's the social setup and the distribution that differ significantly between Dallas and Houston. Atlanta and the DMV are just on a different level statistically in the number and percentage of blacks in the population than most other cities in the country. Atlanta has over 2 million black people and is surrounded by states and cities with large black communities. Between DC and Baltimore there are also over 2 million. Dallas has more blacks than most other major cities, it just feels like less than it really is for reasons that have been already discussed on here.
This makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas