Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:19 AM

11 posts, read 43,729 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the Dallas area in the near future. Many are saying you can't find anything close, in a good neighborhood for under 300K. (out of my price range). But I have seen many homes listed in Plano with prices of 100K, 120K, 150K . Fixer uppers and foreclosures were in the 70K, 80K (but I'm not looking for a broken down home than needs alot of fixing).

Is there something wrong with these homes if they are selling 120-180K? Is this a normal price range? Or is it because the areas are dangerous or homes have lead or something?
Please advise.
Rudy

Last edited by rudeboyrg; 03-29-2008 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 01:41 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
Those are just opinions. It doesn't mean that it's reality. Yes there are homes in Plano priced below 130K, but not many and they are usually older homes (70s-80s) and would probably need updating. When you look at the big picture of Plano, most homes are from the 90s and newer, therefore more expensive.

Where will you be commuting to? Is 130 the budget you want to stay within? It would help to so I can recommend other cities/towns would have a reasonable commute and where you get more for your money.

Naima

Old 03-30-2008, 06:40 AM

438 posts, read 1,783,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboyrg View Post
Is there something wrong with these homes if they are selling 120-180K? Is this a normal price range? Or is it because the areas are dangerous or homes have lead or something?
I would consider all old houses to be full of lead and asbestos. So don't eat them.

When we were in the market last year we found a delightful 1950s brick house in Plano in good shape, around 2000' in a secluded/forgotten/modest neighborhood. Nice wood floors, luverly brick, funky old-style aluminum awnings, fenced in backyard. 130k. Went to make an offer on it but when the realtor called the listing agent it turned out they'd already accepted another offer.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:59 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
Rudeboy, those are reasonable prices in some areas here. About 5 years ago my daughter and her husband bought a new home in a new subdivision for around 130k in south Arlington. I see lots of signs for brand new homes over and under 100k in good neighborhoods. Maybe not in Plano but there are lots of areas in DFW.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:01 AM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
There are many places in the DFW area that you can find a nice newer home for 130k. Moving to Plano/Frisco/McKinney is always the standard answer for transplants. Sometimes its good advice and sometimes it is not. You can certainly find a 10year or less home in Mesquite that will get you around 1900 sq ft. Unless you work in the area don't limit yourself to the far north. I find that the vast majority of the surburbs are very safe. Just take a drive thru the neighborhood your considering and see for yourself. Your eyes will seldom lie to you.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:00 PM

11 posts, read 43,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Those are just opinions. It doesn't mean that it's reality. Yes there are homes in Plano priced below 130K, but not many and they are usually older homes (70s-80s) and would probably need updating. When you look at the big picture of Plano, most homes are from the 90s and newer, therefore more expensive.

Where will you be commuting to? Is 130 the budget you want to stay within? It would help to so I can recommend other cities/towns would have a reasonable commute and where you get more for your money.

Naima
Thank you everyone for your reply. Nsummer, in answer to your question. We would most likely be working in Dallas. If we move, while working in Dallas, we don't actually want to live in the middle of the city (high crime rate. higher prices). But of course we want to live within commuting distance (40 minutes perhaps) in a good (low crime) neighborhood with reasonable housing prices. As far as budget I might be able to go as high as 200K. Its just my wife, myself, and soon to be one child. So 2 bedrooms would suffice. Like I said, I might go to 200K, but prefer to stay below that if possible. I though about Plano and Coppell simply because those are the two areas I've heard about within commuting distance to Dallas, in good neighborhoods, with descent prices. I don't know much about other areas. Never been to Texas. I was living in NYC, I'd know exactly where to go (and where not to go). Of course in NYC for 400K you can buy a toilet near a crackhouse.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:35 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,496 times
Don't rush into buying a house. I'd rent first. There are plenty of safe, nice, affordable neighborhoods in Dallas, probably within 5 miles to your job. Why join the commute madness?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
Even though it's only the 2 of you and soon 3 (congrats btw), you always want to get something that has the basic 3-2-2 as in 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 car garage. Anything else, you would have a tough time selling, (keep resale in the back of your mind).

I would suggest also Garland, Sachse, Wylie, Rowlett, Mesquite.

You really would need to visit so you can see how big it is here, the metroplex is 3500 square miles and there are many many places I haven't mentioned. It would depend on your lifestyle, the type of neighborhood that appeal to you, the places that you want easy access to, etc...

Naima

Old 03-30-2008, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 8,340 times
honestly from personal experience i can tell you that you dont want to move into any neighborhoods in south dallas... im from mexico city where the crime rate is supposed to be terrible... I lived there for 12 yrs never had one problem moved into south dallas and my house got broken into within the first six months of moving in.... I didnt even live in the worst parts of south dallas... I lived in cedar hill... i live in highland prak now and it is waaay better... you want to stay north of downtown... my recommendation is you can find good neighborhoods in plano, frisco, addison, highland park, university park, carrlton, las colinas

Old 03-31-2008, 08:42 AM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibarrientost View Post
honestly from personal experience i can tell you that you dont want to move into any neighborhoods in south dallas... im from mexico city where the crime rate is supposed to be terrible... I lived there for 12 yrs never had one problem moved into south dallas and my house got broken into within the first six months of moving in.... I didnt even live in the worst parts of south dallas... I lived in cedar hill... i live in highland prak now and it is waaay better... you want to stay north of downtown... my recommendation is you can find good neighborhoods in plano, frisco, addison, highland park, university park, carrlton, las colinas
Your not going to find a house anywhere near 130k in those cites you referenced. The South Dallas burbs always get a bad rap and it's just not true. The best advice given here is to rent 6 months and check out the communities your interested in. Misinformation is rampant here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas