Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,176,660 times

Advertisements

Dallas drivers pay a much higher price for their daily commutes than most of the nation, according to a new report.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-commutes-list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 07:42 AM

230 posts, read 230,536 times
No mention of tolls. Even higher in some cases.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:49 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Dallas drivers pay a much higher price for their daily commutes than most of the nation, according to a new report.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-commutes-list
Doesn't surprise me. I'm pretty sure I spend more on my car per year between Gas, Tolls, (skyhigh) Insurance, and basic maintenance and repairs than I do on Housing. Thats even with a millage allowance from work and driving a 2012 car. lol

Old 12-07-2018, 08:16 AM

Time lost is the highest cost to pay. Life is short and priceless, not to be spent stuck in traffic.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Time lost is the highest cost to pay. Life is short and priceless, not to be spent stuck in traffic.
Every person who moves here and owns a car increases congestion for the rest of us.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:29 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times
This doesn't surprise me. When you rapidly grow and don't quickly expand alternatives to driving (e.g. rail), you end up with very high commute costs. Only when we have adequate alternatives to driving will we begin to see our commute costs decrease.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Every person who moves here and owns a car increases congestion for the rest of us.
We need to shed our car dependence and add more public transport to solve this issue.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:45 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,697,110 times
Quote:
We need to shed our car dependence and add more public transport to solve this issue.
And limit sprawl. This is one of the worst metro areas for developing (out instead of up) in an unsustainable way.

When it became clear we would stay in DFW we moved to a house w/in walking distance of my job and 2 miles of my wife's. It's also walking distance to my son's school. I rarely use my 2nd car, and would sell it if it were easier to move around via alternative modes of transit. I've done the long commute thing at various stages of my life. I am so much happier the less time I spend commuting.

Could we get WAY more house and privacy if we moved to a car-dependent suburb? Definitely, but it's a question of priorities and I hope that more folks make the smart decision to live close to their place of employment.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:09 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Well, there are a lot of factors.

For example, a lot of jobs are now locating in furthest Plano and/or Frisco. Personally I would, and a lot of people would, do almost anything to avoid living in those places as they offer very little to us. Result: long commute.

On the other side of the coin, a lot of people have jobs in central Dallas and school-age children. Except for a couple of highly rated elementary schools, the DISD does not offer a high quality experience. It's a small minority of people that want to be urban pioneers knowing that their children's education will pay the price. These people do the calculations of private schools and reasonable commute vs. suburban/exurban school district. Result: long commute.

Many of the jobs in my field are likely to be located along the Harry Hines industrial corridor. Walking to work will not be on my agenda for a job in that area.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:11 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I'll take our freeways over LA, the East Coast, Chicago or Atlanta any day.

As an old timer, I also remember how long it took me to get to places like Frisco, McKinney and South Arlington before GBTR, Sam Rayborn, 121 around DFW airport, 635 express, 114 express and the other major improvements.

I'll gladly pay the tolls and cut my commute times in half. We have some of the best Highways in America.

I see those brake lights for miles on CA and NY freeways and count my blessings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas