Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 08:51 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times

Advertisements

I am starting to notice allot people in Frisco boasting about their "Toll Brother's" house. I have heard of Booth Brothers who only build custom houses in Dallas area. What is making Toll Brothers so special? Do their builders and architects drop from the sky with some special unique capabilities which is unknown to earth? Does God send revelation to them only to bless the earth with their art? I feel people that move to Texas from other areas like NJ/NY/CA who can't afford a house in their home state come to TX with their egos wanting to buy a massive home and end up finding Toll Brothers. Once they sign up with TB with their 5% down. I feel they have no choice but to scream out expressing that they bought a house from Toll Brothers when deep inside they know they bought into the hype.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/hous...-brothers.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 09:30 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
I've been in a few. They are nice houses, but they are pretty cookie cutter for the price range they are in. Everyone and their mother has that dang floor plan with the turret. Or the weird one with the two (full) garages on either side of the house.

I always laugh at one in a neighborhood I run through around here. They planted a lot of a certain type of X tree outside and named their house "The X Tree." They have not one, but two stone placards on the front proclaiming this. At what level can you "name" your house? I feel like tract home is a no, even if it is a nice tract home.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:38 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
My parents are on their 2nd Toll Brothers home in a major metro area (not DFW). They are the only builder in this particular neighborhood which is why they are on their 2nd one. Nice people to work with, but all the people in the neighborhood complain about the quality for the price. It seems like a lot of their "parts" used are cheap, like cheap windows, cheap attic stairs, cheap appliances, that then all break. Price point in that neighborhood starts at $750,000.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:40 PM

213 posts, read 239,336 times
I have recently built a 1m+ toll brother house. Some of my friends have built with other builders. I can compare toll with other builders. Toll's customers service is exceptional. When you put in a service order and if it's not completed within that same week the warranty guy gets in trouble. They make sure all your concerns are addressed and resolved. From start to finish, their customer service is wonderful. From construction manager to sales team to design team, everyone provided excellent service. Contrary to this, my friends who built with other builders can never get anything done by the builder. Horror stories, from the builder cancelling the contract because someone offered more money to warranty issues. Toll's upgrades and finish out is unlike any other builder. They do a very nice, high end job. Every detail matters to them. Their design center has latest, most modern upgrades that you will fall in love with.
Now having said all of that, toll brother is very pricy when it comes to upgrades. The same stuff is much cheaper at other builders that toll upgrades for a high premium. The overall finish out product does look better with toll but you will be surprised how quickly upgrades add.
Another thing, what they call level 1 or base is much nicer stuff with toll than other builders.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:46 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I am starting to notice allot people in Frisco boasting about their "Toll Brother's" house. I have heard of Booth Brothers who only build custom houses in Dallas area. What is making Toll Brothers so special? Do their builders and architects drop from the sky with some special unique capabilities which is unknown to earth? Does God send revelation to them only to bless the earth with their art? I feel people that move to Texas from other areas like NJ/NY/CA who can't afford a house in their home state come to TX with their egos wanting to buy a massive home and end up finding Toll Brothers. Once they sign up with TB with their 5% down. I feel they have no choice but to scream out expressing that they bought a house from Toll Brothers when deep inside they know they bought into the hype.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/hous...-brothers.html
Perhaps you should have involved an agent in your search. Quit barking at the moon and accept the fact that you’ve been treating a home search like you shop for shoes.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:33 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Not a big fan of the architectural styles. I'm not really a fan of McMansions anyway and I really think these will look dated in 10-20 years. Lots of the pre-recession homes already look pretty dated.

I'm more the type of person to buy and older home and put some sweat equity into it.

That said, who cares if people want to buy them? No one is forcing you to by one as well.

As pointless, ugly, and tacky as the turret and 4k sqft of garage space is, so are lots of things people stupidly spend money on: Fake boobs and approx 95% of trucks for examples (sorry, not sorry if that pisses half of DFW off lol) My roommate just financed a brand new sports car that he doesn't need. Stupid, but whatever.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:39 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
You must hang out with the wrong people. No one I know hypes up their Toll Brother home. At best it's known as an expensive middle of the road home. They must be talking to their friends who bought Grand Homes.

Spending that type of money, there are much better builders,

Old 08-13-2018, 07:23 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
From Wikipedia:

Toll Brothers was named the Most Admired Home Building Company in Fortune magazine's survey of the World's Most Admired Companies for 2015.[16] Toll Brothers was ranked by Fortune as the 39th fastest growing company in 2014.[17]
In 2014 Builder Magazine[18] and in 2012 Professional Builder Magazine[19] named Toll Brothers 'Builder of the Year'.

Toll Brothers is a respected builder, there's no getting around that, and they are successful at what they do. Their company alone is often used as a barometer for the housing market as a whole since they build nationwide.

I think the OP is just disgruntled that they didn't buy a TB home and everyone else they know apparently did.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:03 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Who cares what company built their tract house? It's pretty much all the same stuff anyway. They will make a myriad of mistakes unless you walk the site every few days and hold their feet to the fire. They will use the cheapest stuff unless you pay for upgrades. They will try to get you to sign their contracts as soon as possible so you won't see and feel the cost of upgrades that you discover you want. They will push their own captive mortgage company and its weird "creative financing".

You can deal with all these things and get a good result, but you need to pay close attention at every. single. step. of. the. way.

I say pick based on available floorplans, lots, amenities, and the general area, not on the builder's name; and then watch everything as if it was your money being spent (it is!)

If there really are people trying to get some tiny pitiful little status bump based on who built their lookalike tract McMansion in generic exurbia, then I would feel more sorry for those people than anything else, honestly.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:29 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
For a production builder in many places they have a good reputation.
On resales it's between them and David Weekley that seem to hold some weight with buyers.

Almost no one else mentions that it is an X built home.

They can have bad builds like anyone else, but for the most part they do a nice job in my opinion. Now when you get to $1mil you certainly should have plenty of choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: