Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 02:28 PM

509 posts, read 735,760 times

Advertisements

Can any of you Dallas residents tell me what name you use when referring to the area north of University Park (between Northwest Hwy and 635) that includes St. Mark's, Hockaday and ESD? Is that considered one neighborhood or multiple neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 02:52 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
I expect nowadays people would generally call that - though strictly speaking Preston Hollow only goes from NW Hwy to Royal or Forest and between Hillcrest and the Tollroad.

Old time Dallasites would call it "North Dallas".

In truth there are many smaller neighborhoods within that area, each with its own character. The area around and to the immediate northwest of Hockaday is quite different than, say, the big house area on Jourdan Way.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:10 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I expect nowadays people would generally call that - though strictly speaking Preston Hollow only goes from NW Hwy to Royal or Forest and between Hillcrest and the Tollroad.

Old time Dallasites would call it "North Dallas".

In truth there are many smaller neighborhoods within that area, each with its own character. The area around and to the immediate northwest of Hockaday is quite different than, say, the big house area on Jourdan Way.
Actually the town of Preston Hollow was Northwest Hwy north to Walnut Hill and roughly Thackeray or Edgemere over to Midway, encompassing all the multi acre estates west of Douglas.

OP, a realtor would call it all “Preston Hollow” though it is actually a bunch of different smaller neighborhoods. St Marks is the only one actually in Preston Hollow (which is now considered to extend north to Royal from the original Walnut Hill border).

Hockaday is in the Hockaday Square neighborhood.

ESD is kind of midway between the Strait Lane estates and Sparkman Club neighborhoods.

And to confuse matters further, if you’ve been in Dallas since before 1990, “North Dallas” is the area between Preston Hollow and 635. Today people who live in Frisco and McKinney say they live in “North Dallas.”

Old 04-27-2019, 01:30 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
Can any of you Dallas residents tell me what name you use when referring to the area north of University Park (between Northwest Hwy and 635) that includes St. Mark's, Hockaday and ESD? Is that considered one neighborhood or multiple neighborhoods?
Realtors will call that area Preston Hollow. When I was growing up in the area we called it North Dallas, except for the Preston Hollow neighborhood which was called, lol, Preston Hollow. There are several neighborhoods within that area.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:55 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Actually the town of Preston Hollow was Northwest Hwy north to Walnut Hill and roughly Thackeray or Edgemere over to Midway, encompassing all the multi acre estates west of Douglas.

OP, a realtor would call it all “Preston Hollow” though it is actually a bunch of different smaller neighborhoods. St Marks is the only one actually in Preston Hollow (which is now considered to extend north to Royal from the original Walnut Hill border).

Hockaday is in the Hockaday Square neighborhood.

ESD is kind of midway between the Strait Lane estates and Sparkman Club neighborhoods.

And to confuse matters further, if you’ve been in Dallas since before 1990, “North Dallas” is the area between Preston Hollow and 635. Today people who live in Frisco and McKinney say they live in “North Dallas.”
As a McKinney resident, I always say (to someone who might not know anything other than Dallas) that I live in the North Dallas BURBS.

North Dallas to me is the city of Dallas north of 635.... in my mind what should have all been Addison or Richardson. Never understood why Addison did not annex and become a major burb like Richardson, Plano, Carrollton, etc. I guess some call that part Far North Dallas.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:51 AM

206 posts, read 170,992 times
For me, North Dallas has always been inside 635, west of 75, and north of Preston Hollow. My memory of the name Far North Dallas as the area in the city limits north of 635 seems to go back to at least the 1980s. People outside DFW don’t know all these names, so it makes sense for someone to tell non-residents they live in North Dallas when they really live in the northern suburbs.

If I tell someone I live in Dallas I usually have to clarify that I live in the Dallas city limits. They ask, “What part of Dallas?” and I can’t think of a better answer. I’m assuming they are expecting to hear a familiar name like Plano.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:54 PM

422 posts, read 524,085 times
"St. Mark's, Hockaday and ESD?". Definitely muliple neighborhoods although realtors will lump most of it as "Preston Hollow". That would be a stretch for the area around ESD, for sure. On NextDoor, you'll see Preston Hollow, Preston Hollow East, Old Preston Hollow, Preston Hollow North, Netherland Park, Midway Hollow, Walnut Hill, Preston Forest South, Preston Forest North, Northaven Park, Royal Hills, Schreiber Manor, Royal Northaven, and so on.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd225 View Post
For me, North Dallas has always been inside 635, west of 75, and north of Preston Hollow. My memory of the name Far North Dallas as the area in the city limits north of 635 seems to go back to at least the 1980s. People outside DFW don’t know all these names, so it makes sense for someone to tell non-residents they live in North Dallas when they really live in the northern suburbs.

If I tell someone I live in Dallas I usually have to clarify that I live in the Dallas city limits. They ask, “What part of Dallas?” and I can’t think of a better answer. I’m assuming they are expecting to hear a familiar name like Plano.
Would the 80s been about the time Dallas would have annexed this far north? Developmentally, it is all very 80ish in design and feel. Maybe pockets started developing in the 70s.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:36 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Would the 80s been about the time Dallas would have annexed this far north? Developmentally, it is all very 80ish in design and feel. Maybe pockets started developing in the 70s.
I don't know about dates of annexations for sure; I know that in 1968 Addison was a small farm town and there was very little built north of where LBJ is today. Belt Line Rd. at Midway was a 2 lane asphalt country road with bar ditches. I also know that by the late 1970s the shopping center at Preston and Belt Line had been built and the surroundings were being filled up with subdivisions.

Bent Tree CC and the surrounding area were late 70s as I remember going to a dance out there about 1978 or so.

So I would say most of what is now in Dallas city limits out there was probably annexed from the late 60s through the late 70s. I do remember when Renner (centered around today's Preston and Frankford) was annexed in the late 70s and there was considerable controversy, I think a large number of Renner residents did not want to be annexed.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I don't know about dates of annexations for sure; I know that in 1968 Addison was a small farm town and there was very little built north of where LBJ is today. Belt Line Rd. at Midway was a 2 lane asphalt country road with bar ditches. I also know that by the late 1970s the shopping center at Preston and Belt Line had been built and the surroundings were being filled up with subdivisions.

Bent Tree CC and the surrounding area were late 70s as I remember going to a dance out there about 1978 or so.

So I would say most of what is now in Dallas city limits out there was probably annexed from the late 60s through the late 70s. I do remember when Renner (centered around today's Preston and Frankford) was annexed in the late 70s and there was considerable controversy, I think a large number of Renner residents did not want to be annexed.
i would love a history of all the former incorporated towns that have been swallowed by Dallas. One old timer told me of several smaller towns that were wet along what is now Harry Hines and why that area still has a rougher reputation. League City or Field City or something like that, Letot.... (sp?)... I think there is still an old school house with that name on it. Was Pleasant Grove a former town? I know Oak Cliff was once an independent city. There are others i can't think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: