Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 06:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Huntsville is actually supposed to be pretty nice--I've heard several people say it is the only place they would consider in Alabama. It has nice scenery and a remarkably high white collar presence.
This. Huntsville is actually pretty decent and is still pretty good for very specific types of STEM jobs. Not code monkeys and server admins but real engineering jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,105,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Huntsville is actually supposed to be pretty nice--I've heard several people say it is the only place they would consider in Alabama. It has nice scenery and a remarkably high white collar presence.
Right. Sound familar?

"Texas?!? Pft!!! Austin is the only place I'd eeeeever considering living in Texas!!!"

And look at Austin now.

Huntsville better hope the word doesn't get out too much, is all I can say...

Old 05-20-2019, 09:14 AM

If you consider the types of changes that Austin has gone through throughout the years (most of them NOT good), then you really wouldn't care and would be GLAD that national publications are still steering people to live in Austin over DFW. Although, DFW is already going through its own transplant induced major growing pains anyway now, and arguably even worse than Austin, at this point. Which Texas city will get bombarded by and severely changed and challenged by the California---and everybody else---Exodus next? Houston?

Old 05-20-2019, 09:17 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Austin is a nice place to live, not all hype, but it is telling that the score is drastically helped by its desirability rating of 9.0. Maybe it is just me, but how desirable a place is to everyone else does not affect how good a place is for me. Thinks like jobs, value/costs, and "quality of life," however they define is, does actually affect me as a resident of a city.
I'm one of those people who should "In Theory" prefer Austin. (Outdoorsy, works in Tech, in my 20s etc) I don't. I honestly prefer DFW or Houston in Texas.

If I was going to live somewhere for the hiking and scenery, I wouldn't half-ass it a do Austin which is only impressive compared to the other Texas Cities. I would go for Denver, SLC, or Seattle or even Phoenix.

As it is, Dallas and Houston offer more than Austin, better food, more jobs, better COL, better airports. I wish they had better scenery, but Austin isn't enough better in that regard to justify the losses in my opinion.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
If you consider the types of changes that Austin has gone through throughout the years (most of them NOT good), then you really wouldn't care and would be GLAD that national publications are still steering people to live in Austin over DFW. Although, DFW is already going through its own transplant induced major growing pains anyway now, and arguably even worse than Austin, at this point. Which Texas city will get bombarded by and severely changed and challenged by the California---and everybody else---Exodus next? Houston?
The new blood has substantially improved Dallas though, with fairly minimal increases in COL compared to most other growing metros. Dallas has been winning the transplant game.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
The new blood has substantially improved Dallas though, with fairly minimal increases in COL compared to most other growing metros. Dallas has been winning the transplant game.
Yeah, usually the TRANSPLANTS win the transplant game---no matter which transplant filled city you are talking about or to what degree they have caused the cost of living to increase. But most of the people who were already living there? Not so much. Unless, of course, they were already working with Transplant type money and setups to begin with. That's why natives become rarer and rarer. Austin is a great example of that, and Dallas seems to have gotten that way (unless you are going to go to the hood or something, of course).

Last edited by NoClueWho; 05-20-2019 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 AM

1,074 posts, read 641,447 times
I love Austin, but one thing that has always bothered me is having a city of that size and no professional sports teams. I would have to drive 4 hours to see a prof. game (because I wouldn't be caught dead at a Spurs game-LOL).
I think Dallas is the only city I'd live in Texas, honestly.
I suppose Huntsville is fine for some, but probably not women between 13 and 53.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Yeah, usually the TRANSPLANTS win the transplant game---no matter which transplant filled city you are talking about or to what degree they have caused the cost of living to increase. But most of the people who were already living there? Not so much. Unless, of course, they were already working with Transplant type money and setups to begin with. That's why natives become rarer and rarer. Austin is a great example of that, and Dallas seems to have gotten that way (unless you are going to go to the hood or something, of course).
IDK, the company I work for was originally a startup from Utah. Half the people who work here now are native North Texans. Those jobs wouldn't exist without transplants.

Transplants have driven the improvement of many Dallas neighbourhoods that natives were too afraid of to gentrify. I know the city of Dallas better than 75% of "natives" I meet.

If Dallas didn't have transplants it would be a worse off dying city. All good cities need transplants and fresh blood.

Natives of this metroplex seem to think that Texas is the only place with an increased COL. Tell that to Atlanta, Nashville, Denver, Seattle, Boise, Portland, Boston etc. Any place that is growing.

Even bigger COL increases in SF and LA.

All of these places have seen a much larger increase in COL% than DFW. Seriously, you are lucky.

That's another benefit of transplants, they help Dallas seem less provincial. Lots of Natives have a very provincial mindset. "This is the way it is" When I moved here a decade ago I notice that the media here sounded more like Boise a metro 1/10 of the size than Chicago in how they talked about themselves. We are just now starting to act like the 4th largest metro that we are.

As with literally any place that is growing the % of natives goes down. What, do you want to be like one of the cities with the highest levels of Natives? Those are the Baltimores and Clevelands of the world, your Allen Town PAs and your St Louises. Take the whos who list of highest crime, poverty and decline and that's what you get.

Do you want a healthy Texas? Do you want good jobs? Do you want a house that isn't dropping in value?

Dallas isn't pretty enough to be a resort town that is fine sitting in stagnation, so you better get onboard with growth.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:51 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,231,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
This is True by in large. A lot of folks wouldn't have considered it 15 years ago but it has differently grown for the better I think.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
This is True by in large. A lot of folks wouldn't have considered it 15 years ago but it has differently grown for the better I think.
If Dallas was currently where it was 9 years ago when I moved here for college I wouldn't have been interested in relocating here as a graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas