Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 03:20 PM

724 posts, read 530,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
If you consider the types of changes that Austin has gone through throughout the years (most of them NOT good), then you really wouldn't care and would be GLAD that national publications are still steering people to live in Austin over DFW. Although, DFW is already going through its own transplant induced major growing pains anyway now, and arguably even worse than Austin, at this point. Which Texas city will get bombarded by and severely changed and challenged by the California---and everybody else---Exodus next? Houston?
I’d hate for reality to get in the way of your hate, but California accounts for about 6% of emigration to TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 03:26 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
I’d hate for reality to get in the way of your hate, but California accounts for about 6% of emigration to TX.
Yeah, most of the people moving to the big Texas cities are from Texas itself. over 100 counties lost population last year.

The majority of people moving to big Texas cities from outside of Texas do so from OK, AR, and LA, our border states....people moving to the closest "Big City"

Old 05-20-2019, 04:35 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah, most of the people moving to the big Texas cities are from Texas itself. over 100 counties lost population last year.

The majority of people moving to big Texas cities from outside of Texas do so from OK, AR, and LA, our border states....people moving to the closest "Big City"
Yeah there are more Cajuns than Californians in the Big D. Hence there are Cajun restaurants and daiquiri shops sprouting up.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:57 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
This is great news. All our newcomers need to pack up and head for Austin.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:47 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
This is great news. All our newcomers need to pack up and head for Austin.
Nice try!

Old 05-27-2019, 10:29 PM

319 posts, read 228,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiber Guy View Post
When Austin, TX. grows to over a million residents then we will see where the rubber meets the road! Let us see their ranking then. Size does matter.
Austin is losing its Austinness, which wasn't that great to begin with. The psuedo-earthiness of Austin is just a pretentious as Dallas's alleged materialism pretention.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:04 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,177,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
Austin is losing its Austinness, which wasn't that great to begin with. The psuedo-earthiness of Austin is just a pretentious as Dallas's alleged materialism pretention.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:15 AM

3,166 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Quote:
I'm one of those people who should "In Theory" prefer Austin. (Outdoorsy, works in Tech, in my 20s etc) I don't. I honestly prefer DFW or Houston in Texas.

If I was going to live somewhere for the hiking and scenery, I wouldn't half-ass it a do Austin which is only impressive compared to the other Texas Cities. I would go for Denver, SLC, or Seattle or even Phoenix.

As it is, Dallas and Houston offer more than Austin, better food, more jobs, better COL, better airports. I wish they had better scenery, but Austin isn't enough better in that regard to justify the losses in my opinion.
This x1000. Lived in Austin 2 years and never understood the hype for anyone who's not a young white hipster (though I can certainly see why that demographic LOVES Austin). Much prefer Houston and Dallas for the amenities, diversity of people and thoughts, way better nightlife, both are easier to get around and more actual opportunities outside of the tech industry. Austin has great natural features, but for me, that's where the allure ends.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:04 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
Quote:
You forgot to mention New Mexico as one of the bordering states of Texas. New Mexico is one of the poorest states in the U.S. and the state that usually has the highest teen pregnancies. If you grow up in New Mexico and you don't want to be a teen parent or live an impoverished life, you leave New Mexico.

New Mexico doesn't have as high of a population as Oklahoma or Louisiana, which is why it is easy to overlook. However, Oklahoma has Oklahoma City, which has some positivity either. It's easier to achieve a decent quality of life in Oklahoma City or Tulsa than Albuquerque or Santa Fe.

The Texas cities are a common destination for those who manage to escape the Land of Entrapment, but New Mexicans often find their way to Denver and Phoenix as well.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:08 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Regardless of a list, if I had to choose one, DFW all day every day twice on Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas