Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 08:07 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

This is interesting. Seems like young people like Dallas/DFW despite all the protestations to the contrary.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...sionals-region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 08:12 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1). AT&T wasn't going anywhere.
2). The city does not exist to make you or the 27 D Magazine posters happy.
3). Sidewalk scaffolding? Although sometimes it's unavoidable............no thanks. It's too windy too often and generally anyway there isn't enough pedestrian density around here to justify the increased risks.

The crane that fell the other week could have been a huge section of scaffolding as easily.
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...225612725.html
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...313-story.html
1) Seriously?? It could have very easily gone to a northern burb.

2) Dude this is where you sound like a provincial homer.

The city does exist to do its job. This isn't about making me or other pedestrians happy, it is about public safety. It is about access for people in Wheelchairs.

In Dallas, the city lets construction crews park on or generally block sidewalks. In other cities, they build scaffolding over it so people can walk without having to go in the street. Chicago is Windy AF and they can figure this out, it isn't rocket science. It's just for lack of caring that Dallas doesn't do that.

"bUt DaLLaS iSn't dEnse"

Downtown has structural density. Just because 80% of Dallas is ranch homes doesn't mean that you shouldn't use scaffolding downtown.

3) The crane? Really? LOL seriously dude?? That wasn't an issue with scaffolding. Way to use a tragedy to try to boost your opinion, which is what again? Making excuses for the City of Dallas?

So many more people are killed by being hit by cars than cranes, like, it isn't even close. Keeping pedestrian sidewalks safe and open should be the priority. Require the Scaffolding to be heavier or better anchored or something. Again, Chicago can figure this out, I don't think they are smarter than we are.

You could win some credibility by not being a homer, status quo lover on every single thing.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
This is interesting. Seems like young people like Dallas/DFW despite all the protestations to the contrary.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...sionals-region
Duh.

I mean if someone asked me "Do you like Dallas?" I would say "Yeah, of course"

Caring about a place enough to want to improve the things isn't the same thing as disliking a place. Most people I know my age agree.

My friends in Boston love Boston, but that doesn't stop them from wanting to see the T upgraded to a modern signalling system.

The old guard like yourself are too worried about the status quo to want to see the area improved where it can be, and that's sad. Keeping sidewalks safe and open should be a simple non-partisan thing that everyone agrees on.

Sorry if I don't eat up every booster article in the DMN as the next greatest thing...

Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 AM

33 posts, read 32,968 times
Of course Dallas residents want to see their city improve and be the best it can be. I think people may get a little defensive on here as most posts about Dallas are negative.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
All of my life, this has been one of the biggest problems with Dallas. While it's great that Dallas is an ambitious city that wishes to become "world class," this ambition all too often comes at the price of what ordinary citizens need. Imagine what the money spent on all sorts of failed "world class" projects could have done to improve the quality of life in the city?
I'd rather have a carbine full of less glamorous but effective lead bullets than the silver bullets the city and the shills over at the DMN offer.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqmercado View Post
Of course Dallas residents want to see their city improve and be the best it can be. I think people may get a little defensive on here as most posts about Dallas are negative.
More than a little defensive, Dallasites are very defensive.

Internatl criticism is better than the alternative of being a provincial booster.

Real cities like NYC, LA, and Chicago that feel confident in their place in the world don't mind people pointing out the issues the cities face because people feel confident that their city is already great. Dallas people, and Texan people, in general, can be so insecure and defensive.

"But Dallas is a REAL City" -I agree, Yes it is....so act like you have been there.

I think underneath the facade of confidence most native Texans are insecure about their home, feel they don't get a fair shake. They violently and proudly lash out at any criticism which simply reinforces the negative stereotypes which perpetuates the cycle.

I think part of it comes from the negative but largely true, (I just read "The Big Rich" by Burrough) negative press that the nouveau riche oil Millionaires generated for Texas in the 20th century got for their loud, boorish, ignorant, and obnoxious displays of wealth. (Giant is one of the more flattering portals from that era) But it has been a feature of Texas pride long before that.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:20 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,239 times
It sounds like a giant assault on the senses. Top-down, contrived urban electronic entertainment that surrounding tenants will have to endure.

It's a miracle that dt Dallas has what now is a low key, practically organic street scene near Main. No different than a former business district like Lower Manhattan.

Everybody wants to 'energize' things with multistory wall TV. (And like TV, there's never anything on.) It ruined Times Square, because it's all flat panel TV now--and bright as noon. People can watch TV anywhere.

Last edited by eastriver; 07-19-2019 at 07:29 PM..

Old 07-20-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
It sounds like a giant assault on the senses. Top-down, contrived urban electronic entertainment that surrounding tenants will have to endure.

It's a miracle that dt Dallas has what now is a low key, practically organic street scene near Main. No different than a former business district like Lower Manhattan.

Everybody wants to 'energize' things with multistory wall TV. (And like TV, there's never anything on.) It ruined Times Square, because it's all flat panel TV now--and bright as noon. People can watch TV anywhere.
I lived in victory park kitty corner from the AAC and with my window looking over it. It was hard to fall asleep to the flashing screens at first, and that is with a clump of trees in front of my window, but in time I grew to like it. I got bladerunner vibes as I would stand on the porch and smoke a cig at 3am after a long night of uptown or deep ellum.

Apparently these downtown ones will turn off or hit lower output late at night though, which is good as not everyone wants to stand on their porch at 3am and feel like they are in a cyber punk movie

I don't mind the TVs so much, but I think we should be more about encouraging bottom up development by doing things like fixing sidewalks and roads, insuring construction doesn't impede pedestrians etc.

I mean the simple fact that people will defend not making these simple things a priority says alot about the power structure.

Old 07-20-2019, 03:45 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Quite frankly Dallas would do well to look to Fort Worth for inspiration. Sundance square is very well done. Lots of fun to hang out at, and with the stockyards nearby, it feels authentic. No big tv screens required. Not everything has to be a Times Square knockoff

Old 07-20-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Quite frankly Dallas would do well to look to Fort Worth for inspiration. Sundance square is very well done. Lots of fun to hang out at, and with the stockyards nearby, it feels authentic. No big tv screens required. Not everything has to be a Times Square knockoff
200% agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas