Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 12:20 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Which isn't what you said. You said take that money and time and get an MBA or go to Law school. That isn't enough time or money to do either.

The biggest costs are depreciation and time. You can't invest the depreciation your car doesn't take.

Time is the biggest cost. Driving is the biggest waste of commute time, but even with that you can listen to audio books.

It's totally worth it to live in a place you like...boomers have been doing exactly that forever except they drove in from the burbs vs the reverse commute.

I bet you personally could save alot of money by taking an apartment across the street from your job and no longer owning your cars/ walking to work. You don't do that do you? Why?
I noticed that you abandoned the hard money claims from above. You do that kind of thing a lot. Just gas and tolls would cost the OP ~$300mo.

1. If you want to assume I meant someone could pay for law school @ $400mo. go ahead. Same with time..........90+ minutes a day isn't enough but it'd cover a chunk of the required time.

2. Forgetting my yard and garage replicating my house within walking distance of my office would cost 3X what my house is worth. We looked last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 12:29 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I noticed that you abandoned the hard money claims from above. You do that kind of thing a lot. Just gas and tolls would cost the OP ~$300mo.
I drive further than that and pay under $120 per month in gas.

They don't have to pay for tolls.

I have coworkers who do a longer commute than the OPs in a similar amount of time he said he is willing to drive -40min

(35 min from Knox Henderson to McKinney, 55min back) This is based on real life. Of the 4 people I know who do this, 2 of them started in CC when they transplanted and considered it a huge mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Forgetting my yard and garage replicating my house within walking distance of my office would cost 3X what my house is worth. We looked last year.
Great, in that case, you should be able to understand that you can't replicate an urban environment of Dallas or number of people his age in Plano. Not at 3X the cost, not at any cost.

Luckily the price will be about the same.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:09 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
mod cut OP can take your advice, take mine or take neither. Not much else to say here.

Last edited by Acntx; 07-31-2019 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-29-2019, 01:50 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Well, I've got no dog in this fight, and I'm old to boot.

My recommendation, for what it's worth, would be to take an apartment where you think you will have good proximity to making friends, going out at night, etc.

In a year or two, you can always decide the commute isn't good and move closer to work - at which time you'll have a social network in place and driving to meet up with friends won't be a big deal. Or you can decide you're young and springy, you'll keep doing the drive for a while.

This way, you won't do like a number of posters here have done, and decide Dallas is a horrible big baby-box with nothing to do, based on living in an all-family-all-the-time exurb.

Who knows, in a couple years, the job might change, you might meet someone and get married, you might have a great offer somewhere else in the country, who knows.

Remember the old story about teaching the goat to speak.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:21 PM

104 posts, read 70,606 times
I live in Chicago, not DFW, and if I were still in my young 20s, I would live near my social center. You can't discount the convenience of those impromptu nights out and recreational opportunities with people your age. 30-40 min each way is a normal commute time living within the city of Chicago to the Loop so I wouldn't bat an eye at spending 30-45 min to get to work and back each day.

Besides, 24 year olds are resilient and can get up after a night out and put in an 8 hour day at work and rally back and go again that night.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:41 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Disclaimer: I’m old (40) and been out of the dating scene for 12 years (thanks wifey).
That being said, I can emphasize with the OP, as I too was once 26, single and living in the Village while working in Uptown. There’s definitely something to be said for being close to the action. Not much beats being able to hop over to happy hour for drinks after work. Having to drive an hour to do that would definitely suck.

Addison was crappy for twenty somethings back then too.
I go to Legacy with the wife once in a while. Definitely would not have been my hangout when I was single. Not even now. It feels too artificial. Not organic at all.

All that being said...
To the OP. You are 24. You essentially do not even have a career at this point. It appears that you might have a potentially life changing job offer. Take it from old geezers like me and Eds. Building up your career is far more important for you at this point in your life. The sacrifices you make now will set you up for the rest of your career.

The girls aren’t going anywhere. In fact, having a successful career will help out there too.
Get your foot in the door. Grind hard for a couple of years, then you will be in a far stronger position to address the social life. Good luck

Old 08-02-2019, 11:23 PM

97 posts, read 138,307 times
Thank you everyone for your insight. I really appreciate everyone's advice and comments. Come to think of it now I'm pretty attracted to the Addison area and I will continue to do research and look out more for it. I believe it's a decent Central point to the Plano office and when I do want to get rowdy in deep ellum or uptown. I'll keep up the research and I'll my homework more. I work in technology and I'm very grateful for where my career is at (knock on wood) and this opportunity I'm taking is a relocation from my company that's in San Antonio. Thank you all for your insight.

Should y'all have any more comments and/or advice please feel free to post!

Old 08-03-2019, 06:16 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonytime224 View Post
Thank you everyone for your insight. I really appreciate everyone's advice and comments. Come to think of it now I'm pretty attracted to the Addison area and I will continue to do research and look out more for it. I believe it's a decent Central point to the Plano office and when I do want to get rowdy in deep ellum or uptown. I'll keep up the research and I'll my homework more. I work in technology and I'm very grateful for where my career is at (knock on wood) and this opportunity I'm taking is a relocation from my company that's in San Antonio. Thank you all for your insight.

Should y'all have any more comments and/or advice please feel free to post!
It is good that you came back to update. It is also good for you that you are relocating to another office in your existing company rather than starting with a new company in a new city. The new company and new city simultaneous transition is a more difficult one.

Did you not pay attention to everyone here? The only point of consensus among posters here was that Addison wasn't good.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:36 AM

516 posts, read 451,109 times
Just because a lot of people here don't like Addison doesn't mean the OP won't like it. I know a lot of people who enjoy living in Addison and its social scene. The people on here posting don't represent everyone in DFW and their opinion.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:45 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
Just because a lot of people here don't like Addison doesn't mean the OP won't like it. I know a lot of people who enjoy living in Addison and its social scene. The people on here posting don't represent everyone in DFW and their opinion.
I've used that same argument before. Posters on this board are not a representative sample. It is true.

Individuals posting on this board do not seem to be those who find value in Addison's social scene for 20 something singles.

In the absolute first post on this board, OP mentioned he likes fitness and sports. There are plenty of sports leagues to join here, as well as fitness pursuits that can be valuable for meeting friends and finding romantic relationships. That's an angle that we haven't discussed in this thread, and related to some of the discussion about Millennial perceptions of Dallas in that other thread. It'd be ideal to get some input from the OP before I really go into depth about using fitness and sports leagues for social advancement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas