Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,033 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are both retired and living in Austin, where we moved in order to be closer to our married daughter. Now our daughter has relocated to Richardson for her job; her husband is following her in a couple of months after he finishes his current work project, as his company will allow him to work pretty much from any major metro area. While my daughter doesn’t yet have kids, we expect that she will start a family in the next 3 or 4 years.

Recently, we visited our daughter and looked around the area (mostly Plano, Richardson, and Far North Dallas). Though it’s certainly a different vibe than Austin, we generally liked the people we encountered and were pleasantly surprised at how much better the traffic situation was compared to Austin. I also liked that there were actual trees instead of the scrub and cactus landscape of Central Texas, and my wife liked the abundance of shopping. We’re now very much considering moving to the Dallas area, again to be closer to our daughter. Though we like aspects of Austin, we haven’t been in Austin all that long and we’re starting to sour on its horrendous traffic, tech monoculture, and expense. So, leaving isn’t a big deal for us, especially as we’ve moved many times over the years, mostly for job-related reasons.

We would be renting an apartment. We’re both in our mid-60s and in fairly good health, but safety and access to good doctors and hospitals, places to walk, and healthier options for eating out and food shopping are important factors for us to consider. We’re both educated professionals.[/font][font=&quot] In our daily routine, we mostly enjoy low-key activities, including reading, going to movies, listening to music, visiting museums and historical sites, and just conversing over coffee or a beer. We travel several times during the year to other US destinations. For the most part, the important urban amenities for us are access to health care, shopping, airports, convenience of services, and good public libraries. We aren’t very interested in certain other big city features, such as pro sports, fancy restaurants, etc. We prefer quiet to moderately busy settings as opposed to a downtown lifestyle. On a day-to-day basis, we try to limit our use of major urban highways, but when necessary, we’re comfortable using them, as we both grew up in major metros. As we get older, however, good public transportation might be important. As retirees, cost of living is a consideration, even though we’re reasonably comfortable financially (though not rich).We didn't get to know many people in places where we previously lived (other than some work acquaintances and apartment neighbors), but would like to develop more friendships of similar age people in our retirement. Also, previously we attended several of the Catholic churches, but weren't very active in any parish; in retirement, we would like to be more actively involved, and perhaps, take on some other volunteer activities, e.g., literacy.

So, we would appreciate any and all comments on how Plano might be as a location for a retired couple to live, the good and the not so good things about the area, etc. Also, are there are other places in the Dallas area we should consider (as well as places to not consider)?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 07:59 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
My daughter and I just visited Austin and are ready to move there! It felt so new and upscale! We loved all the trees in the shopping centers and all the variety of stores. I guess the grass is always greener....

Without knowing much about your budget, etc., something I would find appealing in your situation would be to live in a loft style apartment in downtown Fort Worth. I would love the size of that city; it would be fantastic to walk to restaurants or to performances at Bass Hall or to church.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:35 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
I like Richardson for seniors (we are also retired) and also check out Richland College’s Emeritus Program. https://www.richlandcollege.edu/serv.../emeritus.aspx

Plano and Frisco are also great areas. We moved into Dallas (from Las Colinas) when we retired, to the M Streets area. We can walk to the DART station and also the Katy Trail. But there are great places all over the metroplex and fabulous medical care.

You might also think about looking for 55+ places for friendships and activities.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:46 PM

403 posts, read 273,179 times
I would think that the areas you're targeting would totally fit what you're looking for, plus you'd have the added advantage of not needing the "best" schools. DART runs up through Central Plano, so something close to there might work - you could also expand into renting a SFH/Duplex as well.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:46 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,176,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMDA65 View Post
My wife and I are both retired and living in Austin, where we moved in order to be closer to our married daughter. Now our daughter has relocated to Richardson for her job; her husband is following her in a couple of months after he finishes his current work project, as his company will allow him to work pretty much from any major metro area. While my daughter doesn’t yet have kids, we expect that she will start a family in the next 3 or 4 years.

Recently, we visited our daughter and looked around the area (mostly Plano, Richardson, and Far North Dallas). Though it’s certainly a different vibe than Austin, we generally liked the people we encountered and were pleasantly surprised at how much better the traffic situation was compared to Austin. I also liked that there were actual trees instead of the scrub and cactus landscape of Central Texas, and my wife liked the abundance of shopping. We’re now very much considering moving to the Dallas area, again to be closer to our daughter. Though we like aspects of Austin, we haven’t been in Austin all that long and we’re starting to sour on its horrendous traffic, tech monoculture, and expense. So, leaving isn’t a big deal for us, especially as we’ve moved many times over the years, mostly for job-related reasons.

We would be renting an apartment. We’re both in our mid-60s and in fairly good health, but safety and access to good doctors and hospitals, places to walk, and healthier options for eating out and food shopping are important factors for us to consider. We’re both educated professionals.[/font][font=&quot] In our daily routine, we mostly enjoy low-key activities, including reading, going to movies, listening to music, visiting museums and historical sites, and just conversing over coffee or a beer. We travel several times during the year to other US destinations. For the most part, the important urban amenities for us are access to health care, shopping, airports, convenience of services, and good public libraries. We aren’t very interested in certain other big city features, such as pro sports, fancy restaurants, etc. We prefer quiet to moderately busy settings as opposed to a downtown lifestyle. On a day-to-day basis, we try to limit our use of major urban highways, but when necessary, we’re comfortable using them, as we both grew up in major metros. As we get older, however, good public transportation might be important. As retirees, cost of living is a consideration, even though we’re reasonably comfortable financially (though not rich).We didn't get to know many people in places where we previously lived (other than some work acquaintances and apartment neighbors), but would like to develop more friendships of similar age people in our retirement. Also, previously we attended several of the Catholic churches, but weren't very active in any parish; in retirement, we would like to be more actively involved, and perhaps, take on some other volunteer activities, e.g., literacy.

So, we would appreciate any and all comments on how Plano might be as a location for a retired couple to live, the good and the not so good things about the area, etc. Also, are there are other places in the Dallas area we should consider (as well as places to not consider)?

Thanks.
For an average older couple, best apartments are ones in Richardson and Downtown East Plano near DART station. You have local attractions and option to hop on DART and access Dallas as well.

For a wealthy older couple, buying a condo in uptown or Legacy West are best.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:47 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
There is a giant 55+ community just across the southern Plano border in Richardson that is still building new units - on Coit Road called Highland Springs. Sorry I don't know the price range. I believe they have rental and for purchase condos. It is being built adjacent to a new rail line that is just about to start construction that will go to downtown Plano, downtown Dallas, and to DFW airport. Coit is close to the center of Plano so it should be a relatively short drive to your kid's house if they choose to live in Plano. Multiple major hospitals are close by.

A giant Catholic high school called John Paul II is nearby, I'm guessing there is a legitimate number of Catholic Churches nearby to support it.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:23 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Be aware that the main reason people live in Plano is because they have a good school system. The vast majority of Plano residents have school age children and the culture of the suburb is built around those people and their interests. If you share those interests, you'll be fine, but if you are not interested in children 24/7, you may find yourself as a fish out of water.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:47 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
My parents used to live in Richardson and it was a great place for seniors. The city has a great senior program plus you can take advantage for the program at Richland and attend performing arts at the Eisemann Center. It's also close to your daughter and you can more easily drive into Dallas for shopping and cultural events than you can if you lived further north. There are opportunities in Richardson to live within walking distance of the light rail line that goes to downtown and if you live in Richardson you have the option of going to doctors and hospitals in Plano or Dallas.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:19 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Be aware that the main reason people live in Plano is because they have a good school system. The vast majority of Plano residents have school age children and the culture of the suburb is built around those people and their interests. If you share those interests, you'll be fine, but if you are not interested in children 24/7, you may find yourself as a fish out of water.
I believe this is changing. I think the average age in Plano has been going up quite a bit and enrollment has been going down in PISD for a little while (not sure if that was still true this past year or not) . In my, admittedly limited, experience with Plano neighborhoods there are lots of families with older kids or empty nesters. Lots of families moved there 10-25 years ago and their children have now grown. However, they aren't quite old enough to sell the home and retire somewhere else.

I see way more young families in newer neighborhoods in Frisco, McKinney, etc. or in closer in neighborhoods with good elementary schools (young children are everywhere in Lakewood I can tell you from experience).

I mean, it is still suburbia of course, but I am not sure where in the Metroplex would necessarily cater to a more "mature" demographic.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:02 PM

565 posts, read 558,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
My parents used to live in Richardson and it was a great place for seniors. The city has a great senior program plus you can take advantage for the program at Richland and attend performing arts at the Eisemann Center. It's also close to your daughter and you can more easily drive into Dallas for shopping and cultural events than you can if you lived further north. There are opportunities in Richardson to live within walking distance of the light rail line that goes to downtown and if you live in Richardson you have the option of going to doctors and hospitals in Plano or Dallas.
Grew up in Richardson and there's a TON of seniors living there (especially the west side)

Places like canyon creek country club, sherill park, Heights Rec Center (with affilate Senior center right down the street) , Richardson YMCA, Eisemann Center are all filled with seniors

Location also helps with it being centrally located in the metroplex. The neighboring borders of the city limits is mostly south plano, far north dallas, and north dallas. If you want downtown dallas just take the dart rail. You basically have majority of the desireable locations with a 15 minute drive or less.

Add in low crime, quite neighborhoods, and managable traffic/roads and the end result is a good fit for seniors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas