Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:21 PM

23 posts, read 106,915 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Plano or Allen later this year. I have been looking up homes on Realtor.com and have not seen many attics! I know you don't have basements - so I'm wondering where do you store stuff like XMAS decorations, other odds and ends, etc.?? Do most homeowners have attics but just not list them in the real estate sites? Just curious!! Thanks in advance for any replies!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 01:27 PM

197 posts, read 1,138,332 times
Yes, they have attics. It's not mentioned because it's not liveable space.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:43 PM

23 posts, read 106,915 times
KBilly - Thanks! Here in the suburbs of Washington, DC attic space is usually listed on the Realtor.com and other sites. So I'm very glad to hear that Plano and Allen homes have attics! (we have lots of attic-type stuff!)

Old 04-17-2008, 01:56 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I have an attic but I've never been in it! It's just beams, not an old fashioned attic like my grandfather's house in Michigan had, that along with the basement made his "two story" house feel like a 4 story.

I store stuff in the garage.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:04 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Keep in mind that most attics in TX are not like what you may be used to. Access will be by a rickety pull-down ladder and there will will be minimal room to store stuff...since we don't have basements all the HVAC ducts are in the attic space along with (usually) blown insulation.

Garages are used for storage in TX.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:10 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
we have 2 attic spaces. One over the garage that is "walk in" and partially floored. That's where most of our storage is. The other one is the ole pull down stairs type of attic, but it's big.
The thing that I found strange when moving here was that they put the H2O tanks in the Attic!! yikers when they leak. luckly ours is over the garage. The heatingunits are also in the attic.

So when moving form the North or east We needed attic space for storage...no basements. It was actually hard to find a "decent" attic here. LOTS of houses are so finished out that there is no storage in hte attic, just room for the heating and H2O. That's why Garages are called the "Texas Basement" most use them for storage.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:35 PM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Attic's aren't listed on the house descriptions but it is fairly standard to have one. Whether it is floored or not or has an attic ladder or not is something that can vary by house. Its not so hard to put in a decent attic ladder (type that folds down) and add flooring to the attic space over the garage. I think plenty of people do use these areas as storage areas for seasonal items that can handle the heat. We just bought a 24 yr old house and the garage seems to be made with storage in mind with a set in area for shelving,etc beyond just the parkable section for the cars. Varies by home ,though.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Yes, just about 99.9% of all homes in the DFW area have an attic. Many are accessible by a pulldown attic stair w/ most being located in either a hallway or the garage. Some builders have put the hot water tank in the attic but I've never had one there. Don't care for that design myself as most people don't even notice a leak when it is in a closet or the garage let alone in the atttic. Many of us DO use our attics for storage. We have two in our current home w/ one being above the 2nd story accessible thru the pull down stairs in a hallway. The other is in the garage. The a/c and heating units are in the one over the 2nd story and our storage for the most part is in the attic over the garage. Our ductwork here is run thru the attic w/ the vents being located in the ceilings or the top of the walls.

No, attics are normally not listed on the listings as they are pretty standard. Many are finished out w/ a plywood flooring nailed down. Pretty easy to do if you find a house that does not have a floored attic.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:52 PM

172 posts, read 509,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, just about 99.9% of all homes in the DFW area have an attic. Many are accessible by a pulldown attic stair w/ most being located in either a hallway or the garage. Some builders have put the hot water tank in the attic but I've never had one there. Don't care for that design myself as most people don't even notice a leak when it is in a closet or the garage let alone in the atttic. Many of us DO use our attics for storage. We have two in our current home w/ one being above the 2nd story accessible thru the pull down stairs in a hallway. The other is in the garage. The a/c and heating units are in the one over the 2nd story and our storage for the most part is in the attic over the garage. Our ductwork here is run thru the attic w/ the vents being located in the ceilings or the top of the walls.

No, attics are normally not listed on the listings as they are pretty standard. Many are finished out w/ a plywood flooring nailed down. Pretty easy to do if you find a house that does not have a floored attic.
I'd think that having the hot water heater in the attic would allow it to get lot more attention than just sticking it in a closet in the garage. Especially since you have to go up there to swap out the filters on the AC.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:55 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHJohn View Post
I'd think that having the hot water heater in the attic would allow it to get lot more attention than just sticking it in a closet in the garage. Especially since you have to go up there to swap out the filters on the AC.
No, it is the opposite. Some people only go in their attic to get Christmas decorations down and put them back up. In the garage it is a LOT more accessible. You do NOT want it in the attic if it has a leak and no pan underneath it ! As for the filters, the air returns are located IN the house and not in the attic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: