Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 05:58 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,438,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
See this mentality that you displayed right here is one of the main complaints Black Transplants have about Black Dallasites. The submissive step and fetch it Assimilating mentality that so many Black DFW people carry.

When you share a similar views with Non-Black people on a group of Black people as a Black person than you have to see the irony when Black transplants do call out DFW as having so many slow progressive thinking Black folks.

I'm starting to see what many Black transplants say when they say the area lacks a cohesive Black Culture or lack therof. Because I grew up in a predominately Black community where A lot of White people and other Non-Blacks profiled as GHETTO. The Hood. I was also a Black "nerd" growing up in a middle class family not to far from lower income pockets. Yes I've heard the term "ghetto" before but it definitely comes from a place of ignorance and seeing self with a White lens. Now being the comic book reading "nerd" that I was with a "WHITE" name I never got bullied or was deemed unpopular for those things.

Maybe in DFW where they say it's a lack of Black culture and the haves and have nots are far in between each other maybe that's the case. But for the MOST part Black kids are not monolithic and MOST are not aspiring to be like Young Thug/Chief Keef or insert any other random garbage.

Btw, those rappers pretend to be this thug image because it's easier to sell Black caricatures for entertainment purposes in this country. But being that I grew up in a predominately black community with a rich Black history and have been in a community activist group based out of 3rd Ward and Acres Home also have to mention when I would help in the West End when I lived in Atlanta I saw the complete opposite. You seriously have an outdated view on a community you clearly are not that attached to.

Now was that PC enough for you?
I think you are confusing separate issues here.
Yes, you are correct on one point. There are lots of non black people who will consider a majority black neighborhood, school, church or nightclub to be ghetto. They tend to focus solely on skin color, ignoring more relevant factors such as income, education, etc. This is an undeniable fact. We encounter this exact mindset here in the Dallas forum where solidly middle class suburbs such as Cedar Hill and Desoto are looked down upon for the simple fact that both cities have large black populations.

The issue I’m talking about is the fact that there are many well raised black kids who grew up
in the burbs, who may not even have gotten a parking ticket nevermind committing a serious crime, who like
to pretend that they are indeed ghetto. Some do it to gain street cred. Others do it to fit in. Other reasons exist I’m sure. The very stereotype that you are fighting against is a label that they actively seek.

Ironically enough, the people who have actually lived that life want to get away from it, wishing they had the fake gangsters real life.
This is all this discussion is about.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y'allNotYa'll View Post
I've had a BUNCH of black friends from elementary school who were normal kids turn into some ghetto wannabe. Same goes for some of my Hispanic friends. Even one of my incredibly smart white friends became insanely ghetto. I've realized over the years that most of them didn't have fathers or had deadbeat ones. It's sad to me because these were childhood friends I played with and genuinely liked in elementary, but they let the actually ghetto kids get to them.
I’m not sure why the other poster doesn’t see this. It’s a real issue, not Fox News, real crap I see all the time. Lots of kids growing up on BET, Worldstar, reality tv now want the “ratchet” lifestyle. If you can’t see that, then I would question just how connected to the black community he is, especially the youth.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:01 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
You should ask yourself why that is, because this statement basically shot down the rest of your argument.
No it didn't, take a good look in the mirror and maybe you'll figure it out.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:13 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I’m not sure why the other poster doesn’t see this. It’s a real issue, not Fox News, real crap I see all the time. Lots of kids growing up on BET, Worldstar, reality tv now want the “ratchet” lifestyle. If you can’t see that, then I would question just how connected to the black community he is, especially the youth.
It's the parents fault plain and simple, and letting the media raise their kids. My mother and influential adults would never let me emulate the hood or ratchet lifestyle even if I wanted to. Being that rap music is now the biggest genre of music on the planet I feel that it's one area where black kids can say this is mine and so try to hold on to as many aspects as possible although many of those aspects really don't equate to a good life life education etc. would. The transplanted african americans have a much broader view of the world than some native dallasites depending on how much life experience has been had. I was a transplant and the culture in parts of southern Dallas is very unique I couldn't assimilate if I tried, that's why there is a huge disconnect in Dallas with the black culture. That one horrible haircut (The shag) was all I needed to see, but I have a lot of friends there. I prefer diverse areas with diverse economics and people. Richardson, Carrollton, Central and east Plano, Grand Prairie, Iriving, Addison.

1. Plano and Frisco (Also Las Colinas) indeed will be an interesting case study. I've never seen suburbs change so swiftly over a short period of time.

2. I think a lot of white flight and many other types of flight. Affluent flight, black flight has everything to do with two main indicators .. Schools and Jobs.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:48 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
It's the parents fault plain and simple, and letting the media raise their kids. My mother and influential adults would never let me emulate the hood or ratchet lifestyle even if I wanted to. Being that rap music is now the biggest genre of music on the planet I feel that it's one area where black kids can say this is mine and so try to hold on to as many aspects as possible although many of those aspects really don't equate to a good life life education etc. would. The transplanted african americans have a much broader view of the world than some native dallasites depending on how much life experience has been had. I was a transplant and the culture in parts of southern Dallas is very unique I couldn't assimilate if I tried, that's why there is a huge disconnect in Dallas with the black culture. That one horrible haircut (The shag) was all I needed to see, but I have a lot of friends there. I prefer diverse areas with diverse economics and people. Richardson, Carrollton, Central and east Plano, Grand Prairie, Iriving, Addison.

1. Plano and Frisco (Also Las Colinas) indeed will be an interesting case study. I've never seen suburbs change so swiftly over a short period of time.

2. I think a lot of white flight and many other types of flight. Affluent flight, black flight has everything to do with two main indicators .. Schools and Jobs.
Pretty much nailed it

Old 10-02-2019, 04:04 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
You should ask yourself why that is, because this statement basically shot down the rest of your argument.
It's simple, America has a racist history of finding entertainment in dehumanizing Black people. It's modern day Black face. Not one time in the history of this country has that not been a form of entertainment. White actors can't perform in Black face anymore openly so why not get Black people to be the caricatures themselves. You still get your form of entertainment and no one can scream's racism if they're the ones perpetuating the stereotypes themselves.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I think you are confusing separate issues here.
Yes, you are correct on one point. There are lots of non black people who will consider a majority black neighborhood, school, church or nightclub to be ghetto. They tend to focus solely on skin color, ignoring more relevant factors such as income, education, etc. This is an undeniable fact. We encounter this exact mindset here in the Dallas forum where solidly middle class suburbs such as Cedar Hill and Desoto are looked down upon for the simple fact that both cities have large black populations.

The issue I’m talking about is the fact that there are many well raised black kids who grew up
in the burbs, who may not even have gotten a parking ticket nevermind committing a serious crime, who like
to pretend that they are indeed ghetto. Some do it to gain street cred. Others do it to fit in. Other reasons exist I’m sure. The very stereotype that you are fighting against is a label that they actively seek.

Ironically enough, the people who have actually lived that life want to get away from it, wishing they had the fake gangsters real life.
This is all this discussion is about.
You know it's never too late to take a sociology course and also brush up on your linguistics. Because you clearly have a disconnect with the usage of the terms ghetto or urban and how it's offensive to label Black people as such.

You said you lived in Dallas for 2 decades so maybe you've assimilated into that class of Black Dallasites that Black transplants to the city complain about. Because if you don't know the racist origin of those terms than you clearly haven't been exposed to enough of Black culture in this country.

Let me break it down for you, the term ghetto originated out of Italy and it was a section of the city of Venice restricted to Jewish people in the early 1500's. In America sometime in the 19th century the term was used to describe Immigrant enclaves in urban cities in this country. Irish/Italian and Jewish communities and other Ethnic groups coming from the "Old world". Generally the term ghetto during that period was used to describe a location. Not a type of behavior or mentality but an actual section of a city.

When Black people started migrating to these same urban centers and were restricted to lower income areas the term ghetto started to apply to Black people as an adjective instead of a noun. It was largely pejorative. And it was always used in a derogatory manner to describe Black people.

Your using it to describe a certain group of Black people from a class perspective. The problem is you description is rooted in racism and you don't even know it because you clearly haven't been exposed to information on race,culture and history outside of a Dallas Public school system. That's obvious.

The other problem with your assessment is you single out Black teenagers as exhibiting normal behavior patterns during adolescence. There might be a significant amount of Black kids who seek approval from the peers by acting like the figures that dominate pop culture. That behavior does not originate from lower income areas because Black people even in those areas are not monolithic people.

All teens of all races go through those same problems of self identity, peer pressure,etc. They just manifest themselves differently depending on their environment. That's adolescence. I can assure you most Black kids in suburban areas of DFW to be specific are not allowing "ghettoism" to ruin their lives. Especially considering a location is not an end all be all to how a person acts.

There's a significant amount of White teenage boys who shoot up schools that come from well to do families in this country. Matter fact the El Paso shooter lived in Allen and was a student at a Plano High school. Now was he acting suburb? Was he acting rural? Why don't you attribute location to White kids or other groups of kids? Why is it only Black kids?

When you see people as an inferior group of people it's easy to write them off and generalize them to fit your narrative. Your simply not educated or knowledgeable enough to understand that. That's why your looking for approval on the usage of the term from Non-Black people to prove your point. HA!

Old 10-02-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You know it's never too late to take a sociology course and also brush up on your linguistics. Because you clearly have a disconnect with the usage of the terms ghetto or urban and how it's offensive to label Black people as such.

You said you lived in Dallas for 2 decades so maybe you've assimilated into that class of Black Dallasites that Black transplants to the city complain about. Because if you don't know the racist origin of those terms than you clearly haven't been exposed to enough of Black culture in this country.

Let me break it down for you, the term ghetto originated out of Italy and it was a section of the city of Venice restricted to Jewish people in the early 1500's. In America sometime in the 19th century the term was used to describe Immigrant enclaves in urban cities in this country. Irish/Italian and Jewish communities and other Ethnic groups coming from the "Old world". Generally the term ghetto during that period was used to describe a location. Not a type of behavior or mentality but an actual section of a city.

When Black people started migrating to these same urban centers and were restricted to lower income areas the term ghetto started to apply to Black people as an adjective instead of a noun. It was largely pejorative. And it was always used in a derogatory manner to describe Black people.

Your using it to describe a certain group of Black people from a class perspective. The problem is you description is rooted in racism and you don't even know it because you clearly haven't been exposed to information on race,culture and history outside of a Dallas Public school system. That's obvious.

The other problem with your assessment is you single out Black teenagers as exhibiting normal behavior patterns during adolescence. There might be a significant amount of Black kids who seek approval from the peers by acting like the figures that dominate pop culture. That behavior does not originate from lower income areas because Black people even in those areas are not monolithic people.

All teens of all races go through those same problems of self identity, peer pressure,etc. They just manifest themselves differently depending on their environment. That's adolescence. I can assure you most Black kids in suburban areas of DFW to be specific are not allowing "ghettoism" to ruin their lives. Especially considering a location is not an end all be all to how a person acts.

There's a significant amount of White teenage boys who shoot up schools that come from well to do families in this country. Matter fact the El Paso shooter lived in Allen and was a student at a Plano High school. Now was he acting suburb? Was he acting rural? Why don't you attribute location to White kids or other groups of kids? Why is it only Black kids?

When you see people as an inferior group of people it's easy to write them off and generalize them to fit your narrative. Your simply not educated or knowledgeable enough to understand that. That's why your looking for approval on the usage of the term from Non-Black people to prove your point. HA!
OK Clearly a grown up, productive and rational discussion is not going to be had with you, so I'll end with these points:

1) It's a good thing the 18 year old me did not read your last post. The incredible condescension and arrogance you exhibited would have been enough for me to respond in kind with an equally disrespectful remark. Fortunately, I'm now a grown, mature man so I will not bring myself down to the gutter with you and engage in the putdowns. Yeah you win. You "clapped back".

2) I vaguely remember you were talking about possibly moving to the metroplex. So far your posts in this thread about "black Dallasites" have been:
They are submissive, with a step and fetch it assimilating mentality
Apparently you and other black transplants have been complaining about black Dallasites for years now.
Black Dallasites public schools don't expose them to the proper thoughts on race, culture and history.

Look, you are probably better off in whatever black utopia that you currently reside in. Coming here with that high and mighty attitude towards the black natives will not win you many friends here. Your attitude reminds me of New Yorkers, especially black new Yorkers. Whenever they are out of town, they are quick to point out how great it is back there, and how backwards and ignorant the blacks in whatever town they are currently in are. Not a good look.

3) Now to your 'sociology lesson' on the ghetto. I'm very aware of the origins of the term. I will state for the very last time. This is a term that some in the black community embrace and are proud off. I notice that you don't dispute the fact that some in the community do this. It appears that you are more concerned with the cosmetics, the fact that the term ghetto was used to describe them. Well fine. Use whatever term you want (although you didn't like the term urban either, and before you start, I know the origins of that term too, thanks).
I personally don't waste time on semantics. I call a spade a spade. If you don't like being called ghetto, or hood, or whatever you want to call it, then don't act that way. If you are still called ghetto when your behavior doesn't warrant it, THEN I would have a problem.

In the midst of your put downs, you did make one very valid point, teens of all races act out, with some going on to incredible violence like with the mass shootings. Very true. The problem is that for the most part, teens in the other races tend to sort themselves out by the time they reach adulthood. Meanwhile in far too many black communities, a young black man is more likely to end up in jail than graduate college, so clearly something is missing here for too many in our community. Maybe not in yours, but I see it here all the time.

Like I said, there are some people who get very defensive when something unpleasant is brought up. Excuses are made, red herrings are thrown about. I'm not the one. I'm very blunt. If my kids act in a way I don't like, I let them know in no uncertain terms. No excuse making about the historical meanings or whatever. Wont mean squat in today's world. Either get your ish together, or don't. Just don't complain about the consequences. You probably disagree but hey it's a free country.

4) Last point. You complete your verbal assault by saying that I'm looking for approval from non blacks with my comments. In other words, you are trying to call me an "Uncle Tom", or "sellout"...OK a little back ground on me on this forum. I've been a fairly regular contributor on the Dallas forums for several years now. You can go through my posts and show me where I've been such. Or better yet, privately message as many of the regular Dallas posters that you can find, and ask them if that is how I come across here.

I think most will tell you that I'm an annoying ahole, but other than that I think they will also tell you that I'm fairly even handed and I tend to call it like I see it. I've stood up to racial prejudice when it's been exhibited on this particular forum, but I don't hesitate to call out BS that blacks do as well. It's just how I am. I was on another thread discussing the cop who shot the black guy here recently. I personally think she should get 25 years. On the other hand, I also think the black girl who lied about those white boys cutting her hair should do time in juvie or something. Not just a "oh I'm so sorry". She could have ruined those boys lives on a lie. Unacceptable. You may disagree and proceed to call me ignorant/uneducated. Do you.

At this point I think I'm done with this conversation. You have a good one.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
2) I vaguely remember you were talking about possibly moving to the metroplex. So far your posts in this thread about "black Dallasites" have been:
They are submissive, with a step and fetch it assimilating mentality
Apparently you and other black transplants have been complaining about black Dallasites for years now.
Black Dallasites public schools don't expose them to the proper thoughts on race, culture and history.

Look, you are probably better off in whatever black utopia that you currently reside in. Coming here with that high and mighty attitude towards the black natives will not win you many friends here. Your attitude reminds me of New Yorkers, especially black new Yorkers. Whenever they are out of town, they are quick to point out how great it is back there, and how backwards and ignorant the blacks in whatever town they are currently in are. Not a good look.
If you go back and re-read my post you'll see that I stated that Black transplants have made it a point to call out Black Dallasites as being submissive and subservient to White people in the city. I stated your comments came off as such and might be reflective of your living in DFW for 2 decades if that stereotype is believe to be true.

And if my comments come off as generalizations and condensing you're one to talk considering you generalized a large percentage of Black Youth which clearly comes from your experiences living in DFW. So either acting ghetto in DFW is a real problem as you say or you don't like when someone singles out your area.

Not to mention I have family members who are Native Black Dallasites. They don't think like that so clearly i'm not generalizing if you can comprehend my statement.

Quote:
3) Now to your 'sociology lesson' on the ghetto. I'm very aware of the origins of the term. I will state for the very last time. This is a term that some in the black community embrace and are proud off. I notice that you don't dispute the fact that some in the community do this. It appears that you are more concerned with the cosmetics, the fact that the term ghetto was used to describe them. Well fine. Use whatever term you want (although you didn't like the term urban either, and before you start, I know the origins of that term too, thanks).
I personally don't waste time on semantics. I call a spade a spade. If you don't like being called ghetto, or hood, or whatever you want to call it, then don't act that way. If you are still called ghetto when your behavior doesn't warrant it, THEN I would have a problem.
See now it's some but you said it was a problem in the suburbs. Is it the black community in the suburbs? In the well to do communities? Plenty of people use words out of ignorance. I don't dispute that some Black people use the term and embrace the word. A lot embrace the N word too. Do you think the N word is an appropriate term to use to describe certain groups of people? Like are their Blacks and N words? What I want you to understand is that geographical areas does not define one's behavior. You think it does because you've been conditioned to belief that's a normal way to judge people. It's simply not.

Quote:
In the midst of your put downs, you did make one very valid point, teens of all races act out, with some going on to incredible violence like with the mass shootings. Very true. The problem is that for the most part, teens in the other races tend to sort themselves out by the time they reach adulthood. Meanwhile in far too many black communities, a young black man is more likely to end up in jail than graduate college, so clearly something is missing here for too many in our community. Maybe not in yours, but I see it here all the time.
Here's the problem with this statement. It's completely false and you have no proof to back up that claim. I actually have receipts though. This is what i'm talking about. If you hear a lie repeated long enough you start to believe it as facts.

Taken from the Washington Post

Quote:
When documentary filmmaker Janks Morton and I first published our 2011 response to the claim that there were more black men in prison than in college, we refuted it by showing that there were about 1.3 million black men in college and 840,000 black men in prison. By 2015, the total number of black men in college was 1,437,363, and the total incarcerated was 745,660. A chart that I produced in 2013 shows the trend in black male incarceration and college enrollment over the 10 years after the JPI report.
Not only is “more black men in prison college” false, it may lead to bad policy and practice for black boys. In my view, educators who believe their black male students have a better chance of ending up in jail than college might focus more on preventing delinquency, rather than preparing helping them realize their college potential.
Here's the link so you can read in detail.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...ng-data-logic/

You also have to take into account that Black men are targeted more than any other group of people in this country by police and are subjected to longer and harsher sentences for drug offenses. Most Black males in prison are in there due to drug related offense. Not violent ones. Take into consideration that there is an Opioid Crisis going on in America right now that effects White Americans more so than any other group of people. Some of these drugs that these White Americans are hooked on have suicidal and violent tendencies too. White people were doing just as much coke as Black people were doing crack in America. Yet Black people received harsher sentences for a piece of crack rock while White people got lighter sentences. Everybody smokes weed yet Blacks are targeted at a higher rate. See, how you continue to push the narrative that Black people are inferior and Whites and others are the superior. I can provide actual stats and context to back up my statements. Can you?

Quote:
Like I said, there are some people who get very defensive when something unpleasant is brought up. Excuses are made, red herrings are thrown about. I'm not the one. I'm very blunt. If my kids act in a way I don't like, I let them know in no uncertain terms. No excuse making about the historical meanings or whatever. Wont mean squat in today's world. Either get your ish together, or don't. Just don't complain about the consequences. You probably disagree but hey it's a free country.
I'm not talking about excuses. I'm giving you information so you won't come off cringe. I'm all about accountability. Will you hold yourself accountable for your lack of knowledge on this very subject or cry that i'm verbally assaulting you? I mean, I thought you didn't like PC talk? I'm just giving it to you raw that's all. Thought that's what you wanted.

Quote:
4) Last point. You complete your verbal assault by saying that I'm looking for approval from non blacks with my comments. In other words, you are trying to call me an "Uncle Tom", or "sellout"...OK a little back ground on me on this forum. I've been a fairly regular contributor on the Dallas forums for several years now. You can go through my posts and show me where I've been such. Or better yet, privately message as many of the regular Dallas posters that you can find, and ask them if that is how I come across here.
I've actually been warned that you go out your way to defend White posters on City Data by other Posters on this forum privately. I'm not going to say their names but it's been said. I'm not calling you any of those names. Hit dogs holler I guess.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:28 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
No it didn't, take a good look in the mirror and maybe you'll figure it out.

Oh yes, it did. Over your head I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas