Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 27,556 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

I'm 22 years recently graduated young men and I've just had a job offer in Dallas.

I've never been to Texas, especially not in Dallas. So I don't really know where to look for an apartment.

I'm interested in nightlife and prefer lounges and nightclubs to bars.

I'm looking for a quiet area but not too far from the hot spots and the cultural centers

Your help will be more than welcome. Thank you in advanve

For the record I can't pay more than 900$ per month .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,519,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pupu View Post
Good morning,

I'm 22 years recently graduated young men and I've just had a job offer in Dallas.

I've never been to Texas, especially not in Dallas. So I don't really know where to look for an apartment.

I'm interested in nightlife and prefer lounges and nightclubs to bars.

I'm looking for a quiet area but not too far from the hot spots and the cultural centers

Your help will be more than welcome. Thank you in advanve

For the record I can't pay more than 900$ per month .
Some of the happening areas are Downtown, Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Oak Lawn, Lower Greenville Ave. and Deep Ellum. I probably missed a few. All of these areas are within 3 miles of Downtown Dallas headed in a NE direction. There are plenty of apartment communities in all of these 'hoods. I'm sure you could find something for $900 or less. Also, Upper Greenville Ave. near Lovers Lane has been a popular singles area for decades. That's about 5 miles north of downtown. Where will you be working?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:38 AM

I will be working on North Houston street near the Dallas county historical plaza and the Dealey plaza, not far from the Bank of America Tower

Old 04-18-2008, 07:53 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
I used to live in the Village (who hasn't). It is the large apartment community at Lovers and Greenville. I used to be pretty much exclusively your demographic until the laws changed to not desciminating families. However it is still predominately young college grad singles, 20s and 30s. It is managed by Lincoln Properties. One thing about them, they really take care of you. I am sure their one bedroom apts are within your budget. It is a great place to start out if you are new to the city. It is pretty centrally located for what you are looking for. Easy access to the DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) Station at Mockingbird and Central so you wouldn't have to drive downtown.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:43 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,485,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pupu View Post
I will be working on North Houston street near the Dallas county historical plaza and the Dealey plaza, not far from the Bank of America Tower
It would be ideal to live in/around Victory Park and AA Center. You could walk to work.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:57 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
Victory would be nice but I believe it is rather expensive and like most of Uptown -- not really quiet. You might check in Downtown -- depends on the building..

Quiet but next to nightlife would be Knox-Henderson and Lower Greenville areas -- you might find a great duplex or smaller older apartment building - there are new ones going in all up and down Henderson. Probably good to check craigslist and search those areas or East Dallas.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 PM

Thank you for all your answer, you have made my research easier.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:02 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,111,399 times
I second the Village. It's a little close to some sketchy areas (just north over NW Hwy), but I lived there for 4 years and never had a single problem. The apt complexes are getting older but they have torn some down and rebuilt new ones. It was THE place to live in Dallas in its heydey (early 90s?)...now it's probably a bit quieter but still quite close to the action (e.g. Greenville). I worked downtown for a good portion of time (including over by West End) and the drive was not bad by Dallas standards; easily less than 1/2 hour during rush hour.

Uptown IMO is super-overrated. Way overpriced residences and restaurants for what you get.

Another popular area is the Addison entertainment corridor (just off the Tollway) but I find that to be too far away from the rest of the city (and more of a chain restaurant environment). Still, it has a lot of young folks there.

The intersection of 635 and 75 has a lot of very new apt complexes. When I looked to rent there (~4 years ago) there were some serious issues with crime (easy to break into a car and get on the highway for the getaway).

All in all I think the description of what you're wanting points you toward the Village area.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:20 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
The Village is a Dallas institution for younger people..btw the real hey-day was the mid to late 1970s and early 1980s (ask anyone from those days about the parties at the Village Country Club and Pool). Later they built new buildings on the 9-hole golf course, added jogging trails and fences, etc. They just keep rebuilding The Village and it looks great. I like to drive through there just for the flowers in the medians (the tulips were spectacular). There is a huge $800 million development across from North Park called Park Lane Place that will soon be finished, and it will be very convenient to The Village.

Also the DART line is very close -- there are also some less expensive apartments just south of The Village bounded by Lover's Lane, Greenville, Skillman and DART/future Katy Trail extension. E. University runs through there...

Old 04-21-2008, 09:00 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
I remember that golf course. By the time I moved in, it had been developed as more apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas