Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:52 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,261,385 times

Advertisements

If you drive in Egypt particularly Cairo, the rule of thumb is "the only time you push on the brakes is to park".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 PM

251 posts, read 1,532,332 times
Default yama

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
If you drive in Egypt particularly Cairo, the rule of thumb is "the only time you push on the brakes is to park".
It all makes sense now! Now i know why my egyptian friends hate using the freakin brakes! And this whole time i thought they wanted to save on the break pads silly me. (p.s didn't know egyptians existed in texas?)

Since you are an agent,how does the area of wylie look in the near future espcially on 544 business wise.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:26 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,261,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzstyle00 View Post
Since you are an agent,how does the area of wylie look in the near future espcially on 544 business wise.
It would be a prime location for a store front business. With the growth between Murphy and Wylie, the traffic flow would make it ideal for exposure of a business.

Naima

Old 04-23-2008, 12:40 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,002 times
People do drive fast in the metro - but it is not too different from other places. However, no one complaints about the extremely slow drivers doing 50 on the left lane of the highway and pretending the almighty is fine with that since it is within the speed limit. Many accidents are a result of difference in speeds - so, people going unusually slow actually can cause accidents. So, fast drivers - slow down to the speed limit (more or less). Slow drivers - pl speed up to "city" standards - this is'nt a small town.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:50 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,288,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
I really like the highway set up in Dallas - the frontage roads offer easy access to the highways and I love the turn around feature that turns you from one frontage road, over the highway to the frontage road going a different direction. Makes, that "woops I missed my exit" easy to take the next exit and go back around.
It's not like this where you're from?

I practice defensive driving. It's a matter of survival! Also, I don't want the inconvenience, expensive and hassle of an accident just to be sure I beat someone or get somewhere or park someplace first. I used to be an angry driver but that doesn't get you anywhere so I've calmed down considerably. Can't do anything about it anyway except to make sure that I'm safe and my passengers, too, if I have any.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:03 PM

564 posts, read 2,046,167 times
In my experience, the most challenging places I've ever driven were Miami, Atlanta, Washington, Boston and Los Angeles. I've had people tell me that Chicago drivers are especially aggressive but I didn't experience anything out of the ordinary there. I think Houston and Dallas drivers are pretty similar accept Houston drivers seem to take more chances and Dallas drivers seem to be a little less courteous.

Nothing like Miami or Atlanta, in particular, where you slam your foot down on the gas and whatever happens and happens.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:36 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,881 times
No one up here in the northeast ever seems to understand, when I tell 'em that "Rush Hour" in Dallas used to mean that yeah, you have 2 million cars on the road, but they're STILL all going at least 70....

I'm hearkening back to my days taking Stemmons home to carrollton from downtown... I'd bet it's nowhere NEAR that fast, anymore, though....

Old 04-24-2008, 10:25 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
In my experience, the most challenging places I've ever driven were Miami, Atlanta, Washington, Boston and Los Angeles. I've had people tell me that Chicago drivers are especially aggressive but I didn't experience anything out of the ordinary there. I think Houston and Dallas drivers are pretty similar accept Houston drivers seem to take more chances and Dallas drivers seem to be a little less courteous.

Nothing like Miami or Atlanta, in particular, where you slam your foot down on the gas and whatever happens and happens.
I'm from Florida, lived in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and now I'm in Los Angeles and I totally agree that these are challenging places to drive. I drive in NJ frequently due to work and I've always been presently surprised that people actually let you merge in the lane vs. having to just bogart your way in. I particularly hated driving in Atlanta (rudest drivers imho).

Old 04-24-2008, 11:48 PM

983 posts, read 4,443,006 times
I think all metro areas where so many migrate from all over are gonna have bad drivers. Funny how most say L.A. is bad but what I find after being here for 20 plus years is that Angelinos drive the same as they live. It's more of a laid back kinda mentality. I find that I am behind more slow drivers during non rush hour where the freeway is wide open, then I see crazy erratic speeders. It just seems in L.A. nobody has anywhere to get to in a hurry. Now no matter where I drive I am a very defensive driver. I can call a persons actions b4 it happens. Now I too lived in Atlanta and all I have to say is NUTT CASES!! I never seen so many accidents where vehicles had flipped over in my life.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,288,355 times
Atlanta has a bad case of transplant fever like we do here. Maybe some are driving like wherever they came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas