Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:39 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,764,496 times

Advertisements

Chicago & DC = Scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 AM

22 posts, read 133,246 times
Whoa...wait...really??? My husband has been working out there for months and I visited for 10 days, driving everywhere between Fort Worth and Dallas, north and south, east and west, down every interstate and back road you can think of and we did not experience "fast" drivers at all! In fact, our biggest complaint is the fact that traffic is almost always slowed or stopped on i-30 at any given time of the day for no apparant reason whatsoever. When traffic does move, people insist on driving in the left lane doing at or below the speed limit and periodically tapping their brakes. People just don't drive!

I'm from Jacksonville, FL and we have traffic issues out the wazoo here, but encountering slow drivers is very rarely one of them. You take your life into your hands if you go anywhere below the speed limit here or try and slow down while merging into traffic.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:26 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
I lived in Plano for 6 years, moved to Knoxville, TN, and then moved back to Irving. While the traffic was a little easier in Knoxville, it wasn't that much better. Less congestion, but driving habits were pretty terrible there too. I think most people simply don't take the fact they aren't invincible seriously.

But all in all, I drive 60-65 on the freeways and if someone gets too close to the old bumper, I just quickly tap the brakes so they stain their shorts and back off.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:38 AM

15 posts, read 62,062 times
Someone earlier mentioned the HOV lane on 75. My husband and I are moving to DFW area and will be commuting together from Murphy to UTSW and were planning on using the HOV lane on 75. IS it really that much of a challenge to get off and on. I was wonderimg if it would be when we were there for a visit last week.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:46 AM

937 posts, read 2,908,026 times
What route will you be taking to UTSW?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:18 AM

468 posts, read 1,887,539 times
From Murphy to US75 you might wind up taking Renner Road to the Bush (US190), then to SB US75 and there is no inlet to the HOV lane anywhere near there. My Street Altas program says it's a 24.5 mile trip one way, varies depending on where in Murphy you actual start from. I wonder if DART has any travel to work options for you? The Green Line, which will have a stop at UTSW is currently under construction. You can catch the Red Line in Plano to downtown Dallas, jump to the Green Line to UTSW. My daughter-in-law rode the Red Line to Mockingbird Station everyday and she loved the convenience. Then her company moved her to Valleyview where there is no DART. Myself, I would ride the DART long before I drove a car the route you'll be taking.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 AM

468 posts, read 1,887,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thureen View Post
For example, just today driving down I-35E north of I-635 there were accidents blocking the left lanes. Well, everyone just rush and cut in trying to get to right lanes. A truck almost hit car and created accident on the right lanes. Then cars from behind decide go drive on shoulders and cut in front. There was ramp merging into the highway. Some guys in shoulders deciding cutting through grass to back to the frontage road was a great idea. Then there this guy who was on ramp about merge. After he just the jam he Reversed BACK down the one-way on ramp to the frontage road! I swear these guys were asking for another accident to happen. I never seen anything like this back in my small home town in Missouri.
That's just another day at the office. I have to travel from Plano, via US190, NB on I-35E to Denton about once a month. There are times I will take the long way around, north to US380 then west into Denton from Plano just to avoid that mayhem. JK

Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
If you drive in Egypt particularly Cairo, the rule of thumb is "the only time you push on the brakes is to park".
Seriously that is true. On my visit there a number of years ago, my dad told me that the rule is "If my bumper is in front of your bumper, than I have right of way." We had two fender-benders on the way to our hotel. My dad, who had driven in Cairo many times, and the other local driver just stuck their head out of their respective car windows to see if there was any significant damage, and finding nothing but a minor dent or two, merely waved to each other and carried on their way.
Driving on the wrong side of the road to go around someone who was in your way was an everyday norm.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:03 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,967 times
Jazz Under the Stars at the DMA is always awesome too....but I think that is in the spring.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:39 PM

64 posts, read 344,023 times
Default Scariest after moving to Dallas from a small city has to be driving here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thureen View Post
I moved from small city, Columbia, MO, about 1 year ago to the NE Dallas area.
I moved here three months ago from a town that had 130,000 people. I get around pretty well in the traffic here except for the LBJ Expressway. I try to avoid that road whenever possible. People drive so fast and then it's difficult to change lanes. Plus I'm trying to read the signs and figure out which exit to take too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas