Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 07:32 AM

948 posts, read 1,145,145 times

Advertisements

My spouse had an accident this morning. At the traffic light, it just turned red from orange, but she didn't pay attention. She drove through instead of yielding, another car from the left side came and hit her from behind. Obviously it was her fault and both cars had scratched up bumpers. The other driver was a Spanish old lady with her adult son sitting nearby. He didn't want to claim insurance for whatever reason.(probably no insurance or who knows). He wants $75 and call it good. He said he don't want his premium go up.

Exchanged phone numbers but he hesitated to share insurance info and left the scene. Now, looking at the pics, my car has a small scratch on the driver side rear bumper. The other guys car has a very long scratch (which doesn't make any sense) on the whole front bumper. Probably it was already scratched up, at least a portion of it.

Obviously he didn't want insurance involved and I have $250 deductible. I drive an Audi and it cost lot more to get it fixed for sure. Since both parties left the scene, he can easily deny the accident if he chooses to.

Should I pay him or claim insurance or just ignore it? Though it was fault from my side, the other car hit mine from behind.

If he is uninsured, how will that turn up if I claim insurance?
Attached Thumbnails
Car accident - other party didnt want to claim insurance-2car.jpg   Car accident - other party didnt want to claim insurance-car.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 11:02 AM

41 posts, read 21,243 times
The right thing to do is to submit all relevant information to your insurance company, including as much as you know about the other driver. Also, file a police report - it is the law since cumulative damage to both cars is over $1000. Yes, your premium may be affected, but things could get much worse if the other party decides to file a police report with a false witness and put you in a much more complicated legal situation. This happens left and right. The rule of thumb is to immediately file a police report. Given that most damages cost more than $1000 these days, it is the law. This way you will protect yourself legally. If the other driver is uninsured, he needs to be put through proper due process of paying fines and getting an insurance. Having uninsured drivers out there is one of the reasons insurance costs this much. They can put other people into financial peril just because they are not responsible.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:41 PM

11,872 posts, read 26,952,124 times
Let this be a lesson to you: call the police immediately for ANY accident where there is damage to your car, and NEVER leave the scene of an accident without a police report number. If the other party leaves, then you need to stay there and wait for the police to arrive. You might be able to file a delayed police report claim later, but your insurance will probably not accept it, and you're going to end up paying to fix your own car.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:11 PM

1,185 posts, read 755,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Let this be a lesson to you: call the police immediately for ANY accident where there is damage to your car, and NEVER leave the scene of an accident without a police report number. If the other party leaves, then you need to stay there and wait for the police to arrive. You might be able to file a delayed police report claim later, but your insurance will probably not accept it, and you're going to end up paying to fix your own car.
This is entirely wrong.

You exchange information with the other driver and clear the lanes and move on, particularly when there are no injuries involved.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:20 PM

3,088 posts, read 8,448,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_engineer View Post
The right thing to do is to submit all relevant information to your insurance company, including as much as you know about the other driver. Also, file a police report - it is the law since cumulative damage to both cars is over $1000. Yes, your premium may be affected, but things could get much worse if the other party decides to file a police report with a false witness and put you in a much more complicated legal situation. This happens left and right. The rule of thumb is to immediately file a police report. Given that most damages cost more than $1000 these days, it is the law. This way you will protect yourself legally. If the other driver is uninsured, he needs to be put through proper due process of paying fines and getting an insurance. Having uninsured drivers out there is one of the reasons insurance costs this much. They can put other people into financial peril just because they are not responsible.

Absolutely everything here and a +1 for this poster!

Old 12-09-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:

There is so much value in this statement that those who believe otherwise can learn a lesson from it!! Add this to what the_engineer stated and the lesson is complete!!

+1

Old 12-09-2019, 04:39 PM

11,872 posts, read 26,952,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
This is entirely wrong.

You exchange information with the other driver and clear the lanes and move on, particularly when there are no injuries involved.
Nope. When the other party changes their story and tries to say you hit them, that police report is the only thing that will keep you from being held at fault. BTDT. Of course, you pull your cars out of the traffic lane if no one is injured and the vehicles are still driveabele.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Nope. When the other party changes their story and tries to say you hit them, that police report is the only thing that will keep you from being held at fault. BTDT. Of course, you pull your cars out of the traffic lane if no one is injured and the vehicles are still driveabele.

The Wife has BTDT as well!! She was rear ended while stopped at a stop light and only pulled over to exchange information. Later after she filed a police report, at my insistence, the insurance company advised that the other driver tried to claim the Wife put it in reverse and hit her. Had the other driver been introduced to LEO on the scene I am 100% sure that would not have happened. The games people will play to avoid their responsibilities.

Hopefully others will take a lesson from yours and the_engineer's posts!

Old 12-09-2019, 05:17 PM

19,927 posts, read 18,219,184 times
Quote:
In the bigger cities....most of the time PD isn't going to show for that kind of thing.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:28 PM

3,981 posts, read 2,583,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
In the bigger cities....most of the time PD isn't going to show for that kind of thing.
I came up to an intersection that had yellow lights flashing for the other driver. I saw the driver stop and I went through the intersection but she changed her mind and came through anyway. She wanted to leave because she had to get to work but I said no, wait for the police.

She was saying it was not her fault but when the police showed up, they convinced her that it was her fault. Her reasoning was the yellow meant that she was to stop and then continue. But the truth is that that yellow light meant she was to yield to me.

The police officer backed me up and she was responsible for the accident. I was glad she waited for the police!

P.S... As I recall, the police officer did not take a report because the value was low but it was worth getting the police officer's support.

Last edited by Wild Flower; 12-09-2019 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas