Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 06:55 AM

222 posts, read 604,171 times

Advertisements

Hello, all,

I've been living in Forney for the last five years. It is my first home and was a new build. I like my home, and my neighborhood is great, but I keep coming back to the desire to live in Dallas proper. I have lots of friends in/near Dallas, and I tend to hang out more in Dallas for dining, theater, non-profit organizations, etc. I also have a very long commute to work, and it would be nice to cut down on that time to have time to do more "life" things during the day. My colleagues keep trying to convince me to move closer to work (N. Plano area off Legacy), but not sure that makes sense for me.

What would you guys recommend as the best Dallas-proper neighborhoods to look at for the long-term for a single professional with no kids (yet) within the $350,000-400,000 budget range? I'm looking for a SFH with decent size (at least 2000 sq ft if possible) and can be new construction or pre-existing but updated (also must have a garage). I've looked at some of the new construction areas in town that the David Weekley is currently building - like them alot but they are out of my price range. They have another development opening very soon in the Forest Hills area and I'm waiting to see what their price range is early next year. If you have any suggestions of areas I should check out, I'm all ears. I just want to make sure I'm not looking for a unicorn...lol Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 07:02 AM

1,185 posts, read 751,390 times
I think you might be hunting a bit of a unicorn. And underestimating that commute from Dallas proper to Legacy.

If you drop to like 1800 sf I think you can find some stuff in far north Dallas or Richardson.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:48 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
I’m sure the from Forney to Legacy is sucking the life out of you, but I agree you’re seriously underestimating the commute from Dallas to Legacy. I made the commute from Little Forest Hills to Legacy and the DNT in 2001, and it took an hour each way. I can’t even imagine what it would be now.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:32 AM

565 posts, read 559,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
I think you might be hunting a bit of a unicorn. And underestimating that commute from Dallas proper to Legacy.

If you drop to like 1800 sf I think you can find some stuff in far north Dallas or Richardson.
I agree with this post 100%

New builds in good areas of Dallas are gonna be way out of your price range.

Far North Dallas like Chingaso said is probably the best bet. Houses are older but well taken care of and it's a good in between spot for you

From Legacy to a house kinda over by Bowie Elementary is about 10 miles which isn't bad, especially since you could take hillcrest or preston the whole way avoiding highway. Your also not far from the desirable parts of Dallas (Preston hollow, North Dallas, Uptown).

This house is just showing you the area where talking about https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...26873365_zpid/

Old 12-22-2019, 02:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
I remember you from your first home search. Forney to Legacy, that must be awful! If you want to make a meaningful dent in your commute, you need to be looking along the Dallas North Tollroad. Forest Hills isn’t going to help you any.

In Dallas proper, I would focus on Sparkman Club & the neighborhood immediately to its north. This is the area bordered by Walnut Hill / Marsh / Forest / Webb Chapel. Easy access to LBJ to tollroad and probably about 30 minutes garage-to-desk in the AM and about 40-50 minutes PM. There are quite a few remodeled 1950-1960’s homes here and active neighborhoods with neighborhood pools. Kind of a unique pocket of Dallas. Here’s a home in your price range for reference:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M86589-10464

A little further north in Farmer’s Branch or Addison, you can find newer homes and cut another 7-10 minutes or so off your commute.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M85093-00300

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M89677-08658

Old 12-23-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post

Yes, I figured I was having wishful thinking...lol

Old 12-23-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
I agree with this post 100%

New builds in good areas of Dallas are gonna be way out of your price range.

Far North Dallas like Chingaso said is probably the best bet. Houses are older but well taken care of and it's a good in between spot for you

From Legacy to a house kinda over by Bowie Elementary is about 10 miles which isn't bad, especially since you could take hillcrest or preston the whole way avoiding highway. Your also not far from the desirable parts of Dallas (Preston hollow, North Dallas, Uptown).

This house is just showing you the area where talking about https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...26873365_zpid/
Thanks for the link. I have some friends who live over in that general vicinity near Hillcrest and like it alot.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I remember you from your first home search. Forney to Legacy, that must be awful! If you want to make a meaningful dent in your commute, you need to be looking along the Dallas North Tollroad. Forest Hills isn’t going to help you any.

In Dallas proper, I would focus on Sparkman Club & the neighborhood immediately to its north. This is the area bordered by Walnut Hill / Marsh / Forest / Webb Chapel. Easy access to LBJ to tollroad and probably about 30 minutes garage-to-desk in the AM and about 40-50 minutes PM. There are quite a few remodeled 1950-1960’s homes here and active neighborhoods with neighborhood pools. Kind of a unique pocket of Dallas. Here’s a home in your price range for reference:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M86589-10464

A little further north in Farmer’s Branch or Addison, you can find newer homes and cut another 7-10 minutes or so off your commute.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M85093-00300

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M89677-08658
TC80,

I figured you'd remember me...lol

Thanks for this info! I am not too familiar with this area. I looked at the link you sent for 75229 and looked at some of the other listings, and, you're right, there are several homes that have been remodeled and look pretty nice. I like the fact that those homes also have larger lots so homes sit further back from the street and the backyards are large, with room for decks, sitting areas, etc. I actually have a friend who bought a home with her fiance last year in the 75230 zip code near there and has just finished gutting it and rehabbing it to live in. It looks beautiful in photos but I have not been to it yet.

I have to run an errand relatively close to the 75229 area today so I'll drive around the area as well to get an initial feel of the area. Do you have a sense about the diversity of the area? It would be nice if it has some cultural diversity as well as age diversity.

I have explored the Farmers Branch/Addison area as well - I'm thinking I might lean a bit more toward staying south of 635, though.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:21 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginasmu View Post
TC80,

I figured you'd remember me...lol

Thanks for this info! I am not too familiar with this area. I looked at the link you sent for 75229 and looked at some of the other listings, and, you're right, there are several homes that have been remodeled and look pretty nice. I like the fact that those homes also have larger lots so homes sit further back from the street and the backyards are large, with room for decks, sitting areas, etc. I actually have a friend who bought a home with her fiance last year in the 75230 zip code near there and has just finished gutting it and rehabbing it to live in. It looks beautiful in photos but I have not been to it yet.

I have to run an errand relatively close to the 75229 area today so I'll drive around the area as well to get an initial feel of the area. Do you have a sense about the diversity of the area? It would be nice if it has some cultural diversity as well as age diversity.

I have explored the Farmers Branch/Addison area as well - I'm thinking I might lean a bit more toward staying south of 635, though.
It’s pretty diverse - racially and socioeconomically. The zip code in total is a little over half white, one-third Hispanic and the other 10% split between black, Asian, and multi. The housing ranges from multi million dollar estates to middle class ranches to lower income apartments as you move west through the zip from Inwood to 35. I think age wise it’s pretty diverse. In a neighborhood like the one I linked, you’ll find everyone from elderly “original” owners to young families to singles and DINKS. Royal & 35 is little Koreatown and while there are a lot of shady / unsafe establishments there, there are also some restaurant and bakery gems there.

I would drive the major and minor streets from Inwood to Webb Chapel, from Forest to Walnut Hill so you can get a feel for the diversity of the whole area. Do be aware that the tornado damage is significant in the southern parts of the zip along Walnut Hill and zig-zagging up to Royal & Inwood.

We live nearby in 75230 - our own little block is very diverse. From babies to high school aged kids, from single professionals to empty nesters and octogenarians, from white and black to Chinese, Thai, and Mexican, gay and straight. We have a little bit of everything on our street.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:49 PM

565 posts, read 559,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal123 View Post
Regency place is in the 75254 zip code area, homes under $400 K.
Not bad but there's better area's/deals in that same vicinity. Lots are very small and most don't like dealing with HOA. 75248 is gonna have the better deals and be farther away from the undersirable area's just west of regency

Last edited by mastershake575; 12-25-2019 at 10:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas