Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 06:56 AM

7 posts, read 6,063 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I wanted to do a quick poll of the group to get a sense for how important a 5th bedroom is for resale purposes when a home is $900-1M in Frisco. I have heard that at that price point, home buyers are expecting a 5th bedroom but as the options for the homes add up, I want to make sure its a good decision for future resale even if we won't use a 5th bedroom right now. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 07:02 AM

3,075 posts, read 8,424,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradknight View Post
Hello all! I wanted to do a quick poll of the group to get a sense for how important a 5th bedroom is for resale purposes when a home is $900-1M in Frisco. I have heard that at that price point, home buyers are expecting a 5th bedroom but as the options for the homes add up, I want to make sure its a good decision for future resale even if we won't use a 5th bedroom right now. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

At that price range I would expect gold plated fixtures as well!

IMO the 5th bedroom would depend on the remainder of the home and the amenities it has. If everything is high end, well constructed, and in a good location then the 5th bedroom would not matter as there will always be plenty of buyers. Otherwise a 5th bedroom might become important.

Another thing to consider with the 5th bedroom are the number of bathrooms and whether they are private or semi-private (Jack & Jill's). Of course the more you add to a home the more maintenance and operational costs there are.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:32 AM

630 posts, read 658,866 times
Intuitively id say that someone wanting to spend that much money in a suburb like Frisco, they expect to get lots of bedrooms, bathrooms and pool.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:42 AM

516 posts, read 452,077 times
If I was spending that much on a home in Frisco, I'd think a 5th bedroom would be on my list of must-haves.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:09 AM

794 posts, read 1,224,873 times
I agree with the post above - there will always be buyers for a high-quality, functional 4-bedroom house in a desirable family neighborhood, so I wouldn't dwell on 4 or 5 bedrooms. Among the dozen or so homes for sale now in Frisco between 900K - 1M, they are about evenly split between 4 and 5 bedrooms. If the neighborhood is good, the layout is good, and the construction is good you should be fine with 4 bedrooms.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:32 AM

7 posts, read 6,063 times
Thank you all for your feedback!

Old 01-22-2020, 10:38 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,219,937 times
It would at least need to have 4 bedrooms + office, dedicated 1st floor powder room, bonus room, top of the line kitchen, etc. How many bathrooms depends on the layout. Some people at that price point expect each bedroom to have its own bath and some are fine with Jack and Jill baths. People do expect private entrances to bathrooms from bedrooms. It would be difficult to sell a home at that price point if a bedroom has a hallway bath instead. High ceilings and grand entrances are expected as well. A circle drive and 3 car garage are a bonus and side/back garage entrance are expected.

While our current home isn’t in Frisco, we recently looked st homes with a similar price point.

Last edited by tcualum; 01-22-2020 at 10:47 AM..

Old 01-22-2020, 10:44 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,414,089 times
Default Importance of a 4th bedroom

With household sizes on the decrease I wonder what is the importance of even a 4th bedroom? McMansions are not the wave of the future. I have seen new homes with 5 bedrooms plus and Office, formal dining room, formal living area and like 3 places to eat if you count the kitchen bar. Al of this stuff is not going ot help resale. I am sorry but it will not mean anything to the next buyer. Not buying a small home in Old East Dallas? That will deffininately have a huge impact on resale.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:03 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
With household sizes on the decrease I wonder what is the importance of even a 4th bedroom? McMansions are not the wave of the future. I have seen new homes with 5 bedrooms plus and Office, formal dining room, formal living area and like 3 places to eat if you count the kitchen bar. Al of this stuff is not going ot help resale. I am sorry but it will not mean anything to the next buyer. Not buying a small home in Old East Dallas? That will deffininately have a huge impact on resale.
You’ve got to keep in mind that in a lot of upper income neighborhoods, families with 3 or 4 kids are not rare. Most of these families don’t have kids sharing rooms either. So parents + 3 kids + 1 guest room = 5 bedrooms.

I’m just commenting specifically on your question about the importance of a 4th bedroom. I agree a lot of other spaces go unused.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:05 AM

213 posts, read 183,537 times
I guess there are rooms for all options in a metroplex like DFW. We have 3 kids, and will only consider 5 bedrooms so we have a dedicated guest room. Plus office, as we work from home. Could of course make it work with 4, but that 5th adds a lot of value and not necessarily a lot of cost. I'm glad McMansions aren't the wave of the future, but also glad it's an option available to those that want it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas