Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 08:28 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Looking at homes in the DFW area (Grapevine, Southlake, TC, Colleyville etc) looks like property taxes are running over $10k per year on most of the mid level homes ($400k-$500k). Is that accurate? It just seems extremely high to me and yes I know there is no state income tax but still...jeez. We were planning to move to escape NC income tax but looks like that will mostly be eaten up with property taxes and only save a couple thousand a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 09:15 AM

112 posts, read 103,679 times
The property tax in Grapevine, Southlake, TC, Colleyville etc is ~2.5%, which is at the middle point of taxes in DFW cities. The city of Dallas, has a higher tax rate to ~2.8%. Plano ~2.1%, which is lower. To calculate property tax, the homestead exemption can be subtracted from the appraised value. Yes, it's roughly $10k tax for a $500k house.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:33 AM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Nevada has low property taxes and no state income tax.

Old 01-01-2020, 10:02 AM

188 posts, read 230,658 times
Simply stated, yes.

I live in Dallas and see tax rates a tick higher than the example shown above but close.
Out of curiosity, I pulled up a home in Colleyville that's for sale right now at $699,900. Then I pulled up that homeowner's taxes: $13,389.51 on an appraised value of $670,515.
Scaling back the home value to $500K would bring taxes right about $10,000.

And...the other issue going around here is the rapid re-evaluation of property values. Mine have gone up 50% in 5yrs. My brothers went up 100% in the same time yet his home has had zero work done but it's getting surrounded by McMansions so the city has driven the value up on his place as well.
There is no stopping rising tax values here. There are homestead deductions and some senior related deductions but don't expect taxes to stop increasing harshly.

Old 01-01-2020, 12:43 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Navada is dope. They also have no state mandated bar or liquor store closing times and legal pot.

A true freedom lovers paradise.

Old 01-01-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear63 View Post
Simply stated, yes.

I live in Dallas and see tax rates a tick higher than the example shown above but close.
Out of curiosity, I pulled up a home in Colleyville that's for sale right now at $699,900. Then I pulled up that homeowner's taxes: $13,389.51 on an appraised value of $670,515.
Scaling back the home value to $500K would bring taxes right about $10,000.

And...the other issue going around here is the rapid re-evaluation of property values. Mine have gone up 50% in 5yrs. My brothers went up 100% in the same time yet his home has had zero work done but it's getting surrounded by McMansions so the city has driven the value up on his place as well.
There is no stopping rising tax values here. There are homestead deductions and some senior related deductions but don't expect taxes to stop increasing harshly.
That's crazy and just unfair, the cities have reaped insane amounts of revenue generation from this. In Dallas I'd be paying ~$1k a month just in property taxes...you will never own your home at that rate, the government does and you are just renting it to them.

We also looked at Arlington but saw similar large tax bills.

Old 01-01-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I had not considered Nevada/Vegas. Looking into it now you are right. Very low property taxes and no income tax, and located just a few hours from LA. Interesting.

Old 01-01-2020, 01:25 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Looking at homes in the DFW area (Grapevine, Southlake, TC, Colleyville etc) looks like property taxes are running over $10k per year on most of the mid level homes ($400k-$500k). Is that accurate? It just seems extremely high to me and yes I know there is no state income tax but still...jeez. We were planning to move to escape NC income tax but looks like that will mostly be eaten up with property taxes and only save a couple thousand a year.
We moved here from NC and we are getting killed on our taxes here. With the new law limiting property tax deductions at $10K, it was a bad year.

There are other expenses here that are more expensive than NC, such as sales tax, car registration, toll roads, and water. Homeowner's insurance and car insurance are far more expensive here compared to NC.

About the only upside, if it matters to you, is that the public schools are so much better here. We had our daughter in private school in NC because of the public schools. Here we don't have to do that.

Also electricity is cheaper here.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 01-01-2020 at 02:51 PM..

Old 01-02-2020, 10:10 AM

75 posts, read 67,653 times
When we moved here we didn't even look at property taxes and consider them. Everyone kept toting the NO INCOME TAX thing. It has not even come close to what we lost in paying property tax. I really can't believe Texans have allowed this for years. When are tax is driven by something that is arbitrary like a property value that just don't make any sense to me. At least with an income tax you have a fixed percentage and can budget that.

Old 01-02-2020, 10:29 AM

1,158 posts, read 959,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelletti View Post
When we moved here we didn't even look at property taxes and consider them. Everyone kept toting the NO INCOME TAX thing. It has not even come close to what we lost in paying property tax. I really can't believe Texans have allowed this for years. When are tax is driven by something that is arbitrary like a property value that just don't make any sense to me. At least with an income tax you have a fixed percentage and can budget that.
It's really not that great unless you are a high earner or are coming from a state with higher property tax and income taxes.

If you have an average income there are lots of other states you would be much better off living in than Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas