Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should DART consider offering free public transportation?
Yes 4 23.53%
No 7 41.18%
I already use public transportation 2 11.76%
I wouldn't use it even if it were free 4 23.53%
I dont use it but I would if it were free 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 12:19 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times

Advertisements

DFW has great public transportation but ridership is relatively low compared to the amount of commuters. Perhaps making Public Transportation free would increase ridership? Kansas City is leading the way and has proven that Free Public Transportation works!!

Old 01-06-2020, 12:27 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
hard to say. I already use it daily and have for the 4 years I've lived here. I consider it relatively inexpensive, especially compared to owning and operating a car as a primary means of transportation here. That being said, I don't see cost as the main prohibitive factor; The lack of accessibility/extensiveness of the transit plus the infrequency (especially the trains) make it not that feasible for a lot of people if you don't live or work in the right spots.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:11 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Why does a RE Agent in Houston keep posting in the Dallas Forum with all these free ideas ?

Maybe you'd like your tax money to be spent on "Free" since nothing in life is FREE.

How about we raise property or sales taxes to pay for all these "Free" services?

No thank you. DART is relatively cheap also.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:27 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
I regularly use DART. Lots of riders seem to ride free already...... I often see groups of kids slip on and off and just ride a few stops; doubt they pay.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:07 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
DFW has great public transportation

No, we really don't. Routes are pretty lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Why does a RE Agent in Houston keep posting in the Dallas Forum with all these free ideas ?

Exactly.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:16 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Free? Really? You mean the drivers, maintenance men, track crews, cleaners, office personnel, managers, and executives are all going to work for nothing? All the individuals and entities who own DART bonds are going to decline the pending interest and principal payments?

No, not free, just different people paying for it. Since it's already heavily subsidized by tax dollars, why should those who use it not have to pay ANYTHING for the service? The rest of us are already paying more than we should (oh, and by the way, bond repayments come from taxes too).

Old 01-06-2020, 02:42 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Free? Really? You mean the drivers, maintenance men, track crews, cleaners, office personnel, managers, and executives are all going to work for nothing? All the individuals and entities who own DART bonds are going to decline the pending interest and principal payments?

No, not free, just different people paying for it. Since it's already heavily subsidized by tax dollars, why should those who use it not have to pay ANYTHING for the service? The rest of us are already paying more than we should (oh, and by the way, bond repayments come from taxes too).
Oh please, this is a strawman. No one for free public transit thinks that public transit is free.

I'm all for it being free at the point of use the same way we don't charge people to use the roads that are also very much not free and very much not paid for directly by drivers.

People who ride transit pay taxes too.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:57 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Default RE agents are licensed statewide

RE agents are licensed by the state not by the city. I am an agent and investor in Dallas also. I just live mostly in Houston by choice. I do like Dallas a lot though and I really want to see Dallas make progress. I am not a troll with 2.7 million reads.
I do not have an agenda but I would like to see Dallas become a leader. If Dallas wins then I win. It's that simple. It's kind of like betting on a race horse. I've made bets on Hamilton Park, Lower Greenville and now we are all in on South Dallas/Fair Park area.
I will share a secret with you if you didn't already know. It is this. Dallas will eventually be completely gentrified. One day there will no longer be any really bad areas of Dallas near the center of town. Houston already does not have an area like the South Dallas/Fair Park neighborhoods even the 5th ward is being gentrified as we speak. Well it's already too late to get in on the Cedars neighborhood so South Dallas and Fair Park are probably the best bet in all of Texas right now.
I determined a few years ago that the segregation in Dallas and the strong Northside/Southside polarization has afforded an opportunity because it has created a disparity in home value on the south side. the same was true for Hamilton Park before. But now with prices going up and with gentrification kicking into high gear now anything that is close to downtown is going to be gentrified. Right now you cant get a deal in any direction from downtown Houston not north, south, east or west of downtown. But in Dallas the south Dallas and Fair park areas still have deals.South Dallas and Fair park are similar to the 3rd ward in Houston or where the 3rd ward was 10 years ago because now the 3rd ward is a relatively pricey area. Now I believe the same will occur in South Dallas and Fair Park areas. I am also eying STOP 6 in Fort Worth but it has a ways to go still.
I have also learned that having progressive policies increases the value of real estate so as much as we may hate it it would benefit Dallas to become more like the west coast cities. I know they have issues but the are much more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Maybe you'd like your tax money to be spent on "Free" since nothing in life is FREE.

How about we raise property or sales taxes to pay for all these "Free" services?

No thank you. DART is relatively cheap also.

Last edited by jd433; 01-06-2020 at 03:32 PM..

Old 01-06-2020, 04:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Do you make the same arguments when new freeways are constructed or road maintenance is performed? How do all of those individuals get paid when no one pays a user fee every time they drive on a free road? How are the construction and maintenance costs covered?

Old 01-06-2020, 04:47 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
DFW has great public transportation but ridership is relatively low compared to the amount of commuters. Perhaps making Public Transportation free would increase ridership? Kansas City is leading the way and has proven that Free Public Transportation works!!
Hmmm. I lived in the city of Dallas for 3 years, Rowlett for one and Garland for 3. All 3 cities are part of the DART system.
Within Dallas, DART worked ok, but the effectiveness really dropped off in the suburbs. For example. In Garland where my inlaws live, it would be a solid 20 minute walk to get to the nearest bus stop from their house, as the buses only move on the main roads and not within the residential streets. So for my 75 year old father in law, walking that long to and from the bus stop would be a no no in the summer and whenever it got cold/rainy. Not to mention the fact that in Garland at least, many of the buses only come once an hour. So it's pretty much useless.

The one big positive is the train station. The park and ride system works fairly well, provided your destination is within a few minutes walk of a train station. If another connecting bus ride is needed then it becomes far less attractive as the time spent waiting for all these connections will exceed the time you could have driven to the destination.

Im not sure what the solution is honestly. I'm guessing it would cost too much to expand the system further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas