Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 03:23 PM

573 posts, read 335,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRockwell View Post
No I am saying at the end of the day in Dallas (to keep it on topic as the moderator wants) the death rate will be less than 1% overall. This is a blip as painful as it is for people to admit. The fact you missed the point that IMO the flu is treated in the world like X and this should also be treated like X which is we should keep the economy going and keep at risk people at home until a vaccine. You have no clue if it is more deadly than the flu since you don't have the statistics to back it up. When you can post without error the number of asymptomatic people who have had it and the number of people who got it and didn't even know it then by all means I will listen. Until then it is conjecture.

This is still under flu numbers for 2017 as was pointed out where the flu was responsible for up to 650,000 deaths and that isn't even the total number since it doesn't count flu deaths that were non respiratory nor does it count the numbers from the poorest countries
"Blip"? "no clue if it is more deadly than the flu.."

Flu Deaths in Dallas County 2019-2020 season: about 17 (source)

Covid Deaths since March 2020: about 485 (source)

So you do not believe the 485 Covid deaths number in Dallas County and you really believe it is in the 17 range? Got it...as there are no statistics to back it up as you stated.

DCHHS has regular flu statistics going back to 2017. (link). The charts clearly show the seasonality of the regular flu (I believe March 14, 2020 was the first report to include Covid)

"When you can post without error the number of asymptomatic people who have had it and the number of people who got it and didn't even know it then by all means I will listen."

As smart as you are, you do know that the regular flu can be asymptomatic in some people....and since every city, county, state, or country in the entire world does not know the exact number of regular flu asymptomatic people "without error", as you require, you will never listen to any city, county, state, or country doctor in the entire world when it comes to the regular flu or covid. Got it. You reasoning is sound. Thank you.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:35 PM

236 posts, read 154,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
"Blip"? "no clue if it is more deadly than the flu.."

Flu Deaths in Dallas County 2019-2020 season: about 17 (source)

Covid Deaths since March 2020: about 485 (source)

So you do not believe the 485 Covid deaths number in Dallas County and you really believe it is in the 17 range? Got it...as there are no statistics to back it up as you stated.

DCHHS has regular flu statistics going back to 2017. (link). The charts clearly show the seasonality of the regular flu (I believe March 14, 2020 was the first report to include Covid)

"When you can post without error the number of asymptomatic people who have had it and the number of people who got it and didn't even know it then by all means I will listen."

As smart as you are, you do know that the regular flu can be asymptomatic in some people....and since every city, county, state, or country in the entire world does not know the exact number of regular flu asymptomatic people "without error", as you require, you will never listen to any city, county, state, or country doctor in the entire world when it comes to the regular flu or covid. Got it. You reasoning is sound. Thank you.
Death rate? Do you know what rate means? %, not nominal number. The flu is far less asympotomatic. There is enough long term data to make reasonable estimates of the asymptomatic flu estimates. There is not enough on Covid yet until there are enough tests done post Covid. Less than 1% of people dying in Dallas is a non event in the grand scheme of things.

And yes losing even 2,000,000 people worldwide out of 7.7 Billion is a blip. Hell losing 20 million people is a blip as in it has little to no effect on anything material.

I realize this does not fit the "gotcha" agenda of many here nor does it fit the "world is coming to an end" factor.

Do you really think even 1,000 people dying in Dallas is meaningful or effects anything?

17 or 485 people dying out of 2.66 million people is a non event or not statistically significant.

If I have 2.66 million of anything and I lose. 485 or 17 it is pretty much meaningless and not of grave concern.

Last edited by CHRockwell; 07-16-2020 at 03:44 PM..

Old 07-16-2020, 04:42 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
When people solely focus on the COVID death rate they often fail to take into consideration the horrible and possibly long-term side effects people can have because of COVID.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:34 PM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
Death rate? Do you know what rate means? %, not nominal number. The flu is far less asympotomatic. There is enough long term data to make reasonable estimates of the asymptomatic flu estimates. There is not enough on Covid yet until there are enough tests done post Covid. Less than 1% of people dying in Dallas is a non event in the grand scheme of things.

And yes losing even 2,000,000 people worldwide out of 7.7 Billion is a blip. Hell losing 20 million people is a blip as in it has little to no effect on anything material.

I realize this does not fit the "gotcha" agenda of many here nor does it fit the "world is coming to an end" factor.

Do you really think even 1,000 people dying in Dallas is meaningful or effects anything?

17 or 485 people dying out of 2.66 million people is a non event or not statistically significant.

If I have 2.66 million of anything and I lose. 485 or 17 it is pretty much meaningless and not of grave concern.
1% of 7.7 billion is 77 million. In WW2 85 million died.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
1% of 7.7 billion is 77 million. In WW2 85 million died.
There were just over 2 billion people then. Again in terms of Dallas this is a blip. 1000 people for the year is A non event and surey nothing to shut down the economy over. Even 10x that amount

Old 07-16-2020, 08:15 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,191,486 times
Quote:
There were just over 2 billion people then. Again in terms of Dallas this is a blip. 1000 people for the year is A non event and surey nothing to shut down the economy over. Even 10x that amount

What would be the number of deaths that would concern you?

Old 07-16-2020, 09:01 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,954 times
Today, Judge Jenkins via proxy took the in person education option away from those in Dallas County who wanted it. There is no firm commitment to restore real education in Dallas County in the future.

If you disagree with this, please email governor Abbott immediately. He has the authority to encourage an over ride of this order.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:13 PM

5,833 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:

Your problem is that you are confusing death rate with "deadly." How deadly a virus is depends on both its death rate and how much it spreads. A virus that has a very high death rate but transmits poorly is not very deadly. A virus that transmits to everyone but "only" kills 1% is very deadly.

Covid will likely end up as the #3 leading cause of death in the US for 2020, and that is in spite of historic shut downs to stop it. Calling that a blip is just stupid, and comparing it to the flu is even dumber.

Also, we aren't shutting down over 140,000 Covid deaths. We are shutting down to prevent many, many more deaths than that.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:18 PM

5,833 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:
You have no clue if it is more deadly than the flu since you don't have the statistics to back it up.
I already gave you the statistics -- Covid will kill three times as many people as the flu despite major shutdowns across the country. "Deadly" does not equal death rate.

Quote:
This is still under flu numbers for 2017 as was pointed out where the flu was responsible for up to 650,000 deaths and that isn't even the total number since it doesn't count flu deaths that were non respiratory nor does it count the numbers from the poorest countries
It's funny how you will alternate between local DFW number and global numbers, depending on which one you think makes your case stronger.

Covid will surpass the flu death numbers locally, nationally and globally for 2020....desite never-before-seen shutdowns. How you think that makes it comparable to the flu is beyond me, but then again, you will bite any bullet no matter how big or how dumb it is in order to avoid admitting you were wrong. This is like "Iowa Covid numbers are just as relevent to DFW as Texas Covid numbers are" all over again.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I already gave you the statistics -- Covid will kill three times as many people as the flu despite major shutdowns across the country. "Deadly" does not equal death rate.

It's funny how you will alternate between local DFW number and global numbers, depending on which one you think makes your case stronger.

Covid will surpass the flu death numbers locally, nationally and globally for 2020....desite never-before-seen shutdowns. How you think that makes it comparable to the flu is beyond me, but then again, you will bite any bullet no matter how big or how dumb it is in order to avoid admitting you were wrong. This is like "Iowa Covid numbers are just as relevent to DFW as Texas Covid numbers are" all over again.
I focus on DFW numbers because the moderator told me to.

I agree that it will likely kill 3 times more people than the flu. I have no clue if it is more deadly (nor do you) since I consider deadly the rate at which its kills as does pretty much anyone else in an article that discusses "how deadly something is". I consider a plane crash much more deadly than a car crash and yet far more people will die in car crashes. In Dallas it will kill 80-100 times more maybe. Much ado about nothing. It's 1000-1700 people in Dallas by the time it is done. This is a blip. You still don't understand the Iowa reference. Iowa is the same distance from DFW as El Paso (or pretty close) yet you somehow think El Paso numbers are relevant in a discussion about DFW (since you used TX numbers many times) and Iowa number are not and yet they are the same distance. Your other argument is that EL Paso numbers are more relevant to DFW (again since you use TX numbers many times)than OKC numbers (which you never reference) are, since you focus on "Texas" numbers and not anything related to OK. My point is Iowa has the same relevance as El Paso which is little to none and any numbers that have El Paso or South TX numbers in them are irrelevant and should be removed, but you can't seem to grasp that. The point, which you now have missed about 10 times is that if you want to discuss covid numbers as they relate to Dallas you might as well use Iowa numbers since it is about the same distance as El Paso. Oh and let's not forget at the end of the day you actually were the one that said Iowa is further away than El Paso and you were what? WRONG....OKC numbers should be being discussed more than TX numbers as they relate to Dallas since many people move from and to that city when in regards to the Dallas area that TX numbers which explained once again (for the 10th time) have numbers in them that have littler to no relevance to DFW. Me crossing my fingers that you finally understand this now.

https://theconversation.com/whats-mo...ties-are-72505

Yeah that article shows that once again you are mistaken. Talks about rates not nominal numbers. When people talk about how deadly something is it is pretty much in terms of 1 in X. Of course you don't and will argue against that because here you argue with anyone and everyone.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...y-is-covid-19/

This literally is called how deadly is covid and discusses rates not nominal numbers.

Last edited by CHRockwell; 07-17-2020 at 06:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas